New from Chance Press, redux! Hines chapbook (1 Viewer)

thanks, d gray. I've always had trouble reading it on that site. for people interested in reading it, your best option is here:

(link removed)

edit, I just read the pdf and noticed a few typos on my part. I'm sure you'll notice them also. I just want to make sure that you know that I know. heh.

i thought it read fine. it was funny though, when i got to the part where you say - paraphrasing - 'why have a personal philosophy if no one knows what it is?' i thought " i've read that somewhere before. he copped it from someone!" but couldn't place it. then i picked up the common thread book to re-read your poems and...eureka!

once you read my book, you'll eat your words motherfucker, and I'll come riding into your flea bag town atop Cypher, my magnificent unicorn steed. and once you see that beautiful beast sweating and pumping its haunches between my legs bareback, you'll....um....you'll....
But I have already read it, and it did conjure up images of sweating, pumping steeds between your legs...

Now I gotta go.

But seriously, it was very good, and I'm not just saying that so I get a free unicorn ride. So to speak.

ok.

everything is signed and will be in the mail tomorrow to Chance Press.

I'm excited, are you excited?

anyone? anyone?

hello?

hmmmmm....

which part of you is tumescing? certain parts could be construed as excitement. or unwanted sexual advances.

but I'm not the type to press charges.

so jordan was at jeff maser's place the other day and gave him steve's book to check out, and his response after reading it was that (i paraphrase here) it's some of the best writing he's seen published in the small press in recent years.

so jordan was at jeff maser's place the other day and gave him steve's book to check out, and his response after reading it was that (i paraphrase here) it's some of the best writing he's seen published in the small press in recent years.

I don't remember how many poems Stephen Hines sent us to consider for buk scene 1,
4 or 5?
They were all strong and it was hard to chose from but
finally we chosed "the inevitable is inevitable but soon forgotten"
because the title of his first chapbook is "in" the poem.

I do trust Maser's words if he says this is GOOD WRITING.

And Hines is not young, and if we believe Bukowski,
he has the right age for a debut.
W're living in 1958, 1959 at the moment, Steve?

Well, I was lucky enough to get mine today.-I knew it would be here today. It is some of the finest writing out there. We all need a little humor, I know, I prefer humor all of the time. Why write about the horrors that are constantly at our throats every minute of this hell. So I love this little book that shines a light of relief on this dark ugly existence will are all trapped in. Thank you S.Hines you do shines.

The trade w/ insert arrived today. Very nice production. And I've read a few of the poems already; very good stuff, and not so much like other writing and format out there. Very fresh.

Received my copy yesterday. Great poems (the one called "liars", is one of my favorites), good paper quality, nice colored classy end papers, great looking print - in short, another great book from Chance Press.

you still don't have yours?? nervas is in LA (or near LA) and he got his already (well, he got A Common Thread, the Hines was a separate envelope, so maybe he doesn't have it).

can i just say that the postal service is this country is a complicated, unpredictable, unreliable piece of shit. we've been charged 3 different prices for the exact same envelope, and there's no pattern to it either (we've tried 3 different post offices, a different set of requirements for 'letter', 'flat', and 'parcel' every time).

you might have the deluxe before the trade: i have a bunch of them done and ready to send out, the rest should be completed in the next couple of days (as long as i don't make any fuckups like i did in the last couple of days).

My copy arrived dog eared but I am still very happy with it.

My postman was determined to get it in the mailbox no matter what.

Beautiful paper, good printing job and beautiful artwork.

Beautiful Hines'poetry.

Thanks Justine, Jordan and Stephen.

apologies to anyone who received a damaged book: the print was a little too big and the chipboard didn't do enough to keep the book unbendable, in some cases.

you still don't have yours?? nervas is in LA (or near LA) and he got his already.

I've been holding vigil by the mailbox for 6 days now. I only come indoors to pee, eat pizza rolls, and post to this forum. My neighbors have been fairly tolerant of the odor that has resulted from not showering, but sadly I have not yet received it.

deluxe editions are almost complete, will finish the last few details today and post them out by saturday. thanks for everyone's patience!

if anyone is interested is purchasing a deluxe edition, please email me at chance.press.books (at) gmail (.) com. technically, the deluxe edition is sold out, but 3 reserves are awaiting confirmation by sunday. if they haven't been purchased by then, they will be available.

you still don't have yours?? nervas is in LA (or near LA) and he got his already (well, he got A Common Thread, the Hines was a separate envelope, so maybe he doesn't have it).

I did receive both. The Hines and A Common Thread. LOVE E'M BOTH TO DEATH!

I received the deluxe Hines today from the very cool Hurders.

Excellent. AMAZING! Astounding!

You mentioned that there were production problems. I cannot find any. I can only imagine what you had in mind if this was not as good as you wanted it to be! Maybe corners made of pure gold?

Best,
Bill

The postman was much kinder to me. No folding, bending.

And I love the craftsmanship here - especially the rivets holding each poem in place. It looks great and reads great, like all of Stephen's writing.

One very minor "complaint". It says the deluxe editions are lettered A-O, but it looks like the identifying letter was left off of mine. Which I personally don't care about, but thought I should point out.

Jordan uses a tiny micro pen to letter his books. you have to look very closely. it almost looks like a flaw in the paper.

kids today, man.... ;)

this is a common complaint - and i'm sure the owners of copy "D" and "O" are going to wonder who has which one. i am opening up a standing offer for any chance press customer - if you would like a magnifying lens (not really a "magnifying glass," since it is around the size and thickness of a business card), i will include one free of charge with your next purchase from chance press. because, despite the good-natured grumbling, the numbers/letters aren't getting any bigger (and in fact, i'm pretty upset that there isn't a smaller sized rapidograph pen than what i already have).

What CAN you do about these kids today ? Except take them up on their free offerings.

For the record, I could see that there was something on that paper, but it looked like a small drop of ink to me. Which it kind of is, I guess.

Thanks for the offer Jordan.

In addition to making the numbering and lettering really tiny, you could also use invisible ink (lemon juice) so that people will have to put a flame under the paper to see what it says.

Just kidding of course, but I gotta admit, to my 52 year old eyes, even with my reading glasses on, I can't read the numbering. It looks like a few dribbles of ink.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back