New from Chance Press, redux! Hines chapbook (1 Viewer)

I say to go smaller! It is certainly like your signature. Run with it.

Maybe print your business cards on little magnifying glass cards. That would be really cool!

Bill

On bending by the mailman, I always cut out a thin sheet of cardboard, same size as the book, and include that in the envelop. It makes it harder or impossible for the mailman to fold the envelop.

can i just say that the postal service is this country is a complicated, unpredictable, unreliable piece of shit. we've been charged 3 different prices for the exact same envelope, and there's no pattern to it either (we've tried 3 different post offices, a different set of requirements for 'letter', 'flat', and 'parcel' every time).

Were those packages of the exact same weight ? The price varies with the weight of the contents. If they were the same weight and you saved your receipts, you have a legitimate complaint that you should follow up on.

On bending by the mailman, I always cut out a thin sheet of cardboard, same size as the book, and include that in the envelop. It makes it harder or impossible for the mailman to fold the envelop.

for the hines chap we wrapped the book in a piece of thick cardstock, but apparently that didn't prevent damage.

dave: the packages were identical, and we were informed it has nothing to with weight but rather dimension - that is what differentiates between 'letter', 'flat', and 'parcel'. but each person at each post office has a different idea on what the requirements are for each one. go figure.

OK Justine, you know what ? Those post office creeps were MEAN to you and I'm going to tell my DAD !

Seriously - He's a retired postal worker and can probably clear this up.

:) thanks dave

you know, postal workers really are fucking mean in this country. the post offices here are dirty, grim places, the staff don't give a shit, and it's a far cry from what i'm used to in NZ. guess that's a whole other thread.

I think someone wrote a book about that...

The deluxe Hines book is really something. I was expecting something larger - I guess there is nothing in the pictures to provide a sense of scale - but the size is perfect for displaying. Nice work, Oakland contingent.

In response to Justine's post:

I get along with the Post men and women who deliver my mail. In fact my rural route carrier from my old house lives in this town and I consider him a friend. There has been an occasional prick from time to time but that's life.
Back on subject- I love the work and works coming from Chance Press, good job on all of that.

:) thanks dave

you know, postal workers really are fucking mean in this country. the post offices here are dirty, grim places, the staff don't give a shit, and it's a far cry from what i'm used to in NZ. guess that's a whole other thread.

In Delaware, they remember you by your face and do NOT want to see an ID when you write a check. There are 4 or 5 people at the main PO and they all know me, even though I'm only in there once every couple weeks usually.

Now, when I was in SF, CA, I had the displeasure of going to a Post Office and had the rudest Chinese lady in a long time. She was very nice to the Chinese lady in front of me, but seemed to be annoyed by me (for no reason, really), even though I was nice, polite and only had one package (that was a flat rate envelope). It was a painful experience. Dark, dirty post office. UNDERSTAFFED (only one person), Rude government worker...

Bill
p.s. Another reason for Chance Press to relocate to Delaware!

I was expecting something larger - I guess there is nothing in the pictures to provide a sense of scale - but the size is perfect for displaying.

when i was planning the design, i didn't take into consideration that the little metal brads would pile on top of each other and make the book puff out. which means it's really not a book that should be shoved into a shelf, but rather set out somewhere, where it can kind of bounce open a little.

and let me tell you: popping back the sharp little metal prongs on 442 of those little fuckers is tough on the fingertips.

got my deluxe edition today. beautiful little thing. I'm very proud.

thanks to everyone who bought a copy, and thanks j&j for all the hard work.

Unfortunately, my Dad had absolutely NO POSSIBLE EXPLANATION for the difference in pricing except:

1) There was an increase in postage that was slow to be adopted by one PO and completely fumbled by the other (but C'mon- how could the Post Office do something like that ! Ha ha ha....ahem....)

2) Clerks in that area are scamming customers and pocketing the difference for themselves.

Incompetence or corruption, I guess.
Not much help at this point, but there it is.

I heard a rumor that there may be a couple deluxe editions left over. so, if you were considering......

and tons of regular editions.

ah well, there goes my house in the Hamptons...

true - there are two deluxe editions left. they're $35, plus a $15 "service fee," plus a $10 "administrative fee" - but the good news is that they're currently on special with a $25 discount, so the total price comes to a very reasonable $35, including shipping.

don't say chance press never did anything for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back