New Linda Bukowski interview (2 Viewers)

mjp

Founding member
Mike Watt of the Minutemen (and fIREHOSE and the Stooges, and, and, and...) interviewed Linda Bukowski about a year ago for a local zine called THE RISE AND THE FALL OF THE HARBOR AREA. I asked the publisher of that zine for an okay to reprint and he said no, so you'd have to live around here to have seen it. Among other things, they talked about the meaning of the inscription on Bukowski's grave marker, DON'T TRY. Here's a little excerpt: https://web.archive.org/web/2020/https://bukowski.net/dont_try.php

Watt has interviewed Linda again, and covers some different ground this time around. It's from MEAN magazine, and Watt was kind enough to publish the entire unedited interview on his site. Includes a great, never-before-seen picture of Bukowski taken by Linda: http://www.hootpage.com/hoot_watt-lindabukmeanintr.html

Speaking of Linda, she came to my girlfriend's studio last weekend. Here she is perusing Carol's hand made book...

LindaB.jpg

very interesting. great interview, nothing really new, but interesting nonetheless. and she digs Dillon :D

by the way, do you know if she practices yoga? It's very unusual to see people sitting so straight, and that's normally because they practice Yoga. Take a look at most pictures of people sitting at a table eating or reading a book: 95% of them are hunching over... and she's sitting so straight!

cirerita said:
by the way, do you know if she practices yoga? It's very unusual to see people sitting so straight, and that's normally because they practice Yoga. Take a look at most pictures of people sitting at a table eating or reading a book: 95% of them are hunching over... and she's sitting so straight!
I don't know about yoga. In that picture she's standing, actually. That's a big pattern cutting table.

oneiros said:
Do you, MJP, actually KNOW Linda Lee Bukowski?
We're aquatinted, but we're not close friends or anything. Carol has spent more time with her than I have. They talk about art and life. I just sit around staring into space.

Pretty interesting interview, yes, although I think I'd much rather listen to it than read it. Too many sentences had "you know" or "like" or just didn't seem syntactical.

Includes a great, never-before-seen picture of Bukowski taken by Linda
He's looking a bit like the late Schopenhauer. Who would have thought?

Very interesting interview. Thanks again, mjp.

Great insight into the first meeting Linda had with Bukowski...

Bukowski looks surprisingly optimistic in that photograph, very unlike the ever bleak Schopenhauer, but I do see the comparison.

Cheers:)

Thanks for posting the interview mjp! Interesting to read her views on "Factotum" and Matt Dillons performance in it...

ClassIntellectual said:
Pretty interesting interview, yes, although I think I'd much rather listen to it than read it. Too many sentences had "you know" or "like" or just didn't seem syntactical.
I actually liked the "bad syntax"... interesting to see spoken word direct on paper.;)

Bukefan said:
Thanks for posting the interview mjp! Interesting to read her views on "Factotum" and Matt Dillons performance in it...

I have yet to see them film...but I heard that for the Bukowski purist it is a bit 'lite'...i.e. doesn't quite reflect that degenerate life and culture...but then again perhaps that is a misconception on the readers part...we often forget that writing is observation but it is also an embellishment.

If Dillon potrays a more refined character those expecting different were misled in their reading. Linda also states that Bukowski was no your typical alcoholic, in fact, she claims he was no alcoholic at all...'he was productive' (and indeed we all know he was a prolific writer throughout his most of his life).

I wonder if she gets a lot of the Royalties from the movie. Perhaps

Great photo, really a 'unique' pix of Buk. Not a lot of photos at that stage of his life... Also interesting to read the interview, thanks for posting this!

Saw We jam econo the other night (Minutemen documentary - Mike Watt was the bass player/song writer). I love those oral histories, especially about bands and music. Nice, nice.

Yeah, I know Watt. He is San Pedro. Very nice guy, and a huge Buk fan. Obviously. WJE is good, but they could have had less interviews with certain people that will go unmentioned.

LB: (laugh) Oh yeah, that one, that was a fairly long term one. He'd just gotten over that when I met him. And he was into the one in the book called Lydia, which is Cupcakes O'Brien. (laugh) Miss Pussycat 1973.

That was Tammie of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back