New (1 Viewer)

Welcome, Bandini! Women is a great book and funny too. Keep reading Buk and you'll be in for a magnificent journey through Buk country...

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually it was my least favorite of his works I have read to date. Although, since reading a bit more of his poetry and accessing some of the same aspects of his life through a different medium, I'm considering rereading the work with a new eye.

But if you really liked Women, I've a feeling you will be totally sucked in by his other works.

Welcome aboard. Strap in and enjoy the ride.

get out while you can

what is the poem where he talks about...someting about ...there are no beautiful people...it's all a lie.............
something like that???

other buk

I've read a few others - Ham on Rye...really good and Post Office - Amazing!!! My stepdad works for the PO, so it was great to see that his experience wasnt' the only one like that. I'm off to Factotum. I don't know why it appeals to me so much.

hi Bandini, Welcome!
does your nick mean, you read Fante BEFORE Buk?
That wouldbe a really rare happening. But why not! Way interesting!
So - tell us!

Are you kidding? - John Fante was one of Buk's major literary influences. His most famous book is perhaps "Ask the dust"...

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, we know that Buk liked "Notes from the underground" by Dostoyevsky a lot - and early Hemmingway too...

I also read Irving and Vonnegut and Thompson and Chabon and Russo and the rest. Throw some more names my way, I'm running out...

roni, I am talking about writers and honey Buk ain't the only one out there. I love the guy baby I do. D

Bandini is Fante's Chinaski.

I did actually read Fante before Buk. Ask the Dust was awesome. I've also read the road to los angeles, but Full of Life was my first and was so real, for lack of a better word.

Then my boyfriend introduced me to Bukowski and explained how Buk would go to the library and no books moved him until he found Fante and he immersed himself in his works.

I just got a few Celine books. I'm reading Factotum now though, so that's next. It all appeals to my testosterone side I suppose.

But yes, if you know Buk, you should know Fante - you can tell where he was inspired by fante's style. It's really refreshing to read these after some of the rubbish and so called classics i've read.

I liked 'Ask the Dust' the best. That was a HELL of a book!
'Road to LA' didn't do it for me. Neither did 'Wait until spring'.
:-((
But 'Dust' - Yeah! That was a great thing!

what is the poem where he talks about...someting about ...there are no beautiful people...it's all a lie.............
something like that???

possibly "the secret" p66 from Betting on the Muse.

hi roni, the "road to LA" was published as an unedited manuscript, i seem to recall. that's rare (?), interesting for that very fact.

hi roni, the "road to LA" was published as an unedited manuscript, i seem to recall. that's rare (?), interesting for that very fact.

Yes. In fact, 'The road to LA' was written BEFORE 'Ask the Dust' !
Written in 1933, re-worked in 1936 and Not published then.
After his death in 1983, his wife found the manuscript and the novel was published in 1985.
The German translation was printed in 1988 by 'Eichborn Verlag' and re-published as a pocketbook by 'Goldmann Verlag' in 1991, which is the version, I have.
Don't know if it's still available in German (or at all).

Bandini,welcome Iuse to read because I was lazy when I opened a book Ididn't have to think just went with the flow,but the B man made it fun you know how some shoes fit better than others . anyway thats how I see it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back