new (2 Viewers)

Hello.
I am new to this site and new to Bukowski. I just happened to catch "Born Into This" on -some channel a couple of days ago and started reading more of his work online. I am now a fan. I guess, not really a "fan" of much. But he reminds me very much of myself. He is the articulate one who says what everyone else is thinking, but is scared to say. And he says it better than they ever could.

I need someone to recommend a novel. What should an ex Mil/LEO (injury), going through a divorce (bad one), extremely pissed off but trying to be happy kind of guy read first?

Welcome.

If you mean a Bukowski novel, I would start reading them according to the chronology of his life (rather than publication date).

So....

Ham on Rye

But really Factotum, Post Office or Women would be great too.
Just avoid Hollywood till you've read some of the others and Pulp till you've read all of the others.

Ahhhh... to be Buk young again!

I assume ex mil means ex-military? Did you read Jarhead?
I thought that was an amazingly well written book.
I laughed out loud several times.

Hello.
I am new to this site and new to Bukowski. I just happened to catch "Born Into This" on -some channel a couple of days ago and started reading more of his work online. I am now a fan. I guess, not really a "fan" of much. But he reminds me very much of myself. He is the articulate one who says what everyone else is thinking, but is scared to say. And he says it better than they ever could.

Ah, yes. I'm afraid that's how it begins.

I need someone to recommend a novel. What should an ex Mil/LEO (injury), going through a divorce (bad one), extremely pissed off but trying to be happy kind of guy read first?

What ROC said.

And welcome to the mix.

Welcome to the forum, MilDot! Recommendations? Well, Post Office would be a good choice. Or as ROC said!

MilDot;
You mentioned "Vanishing Point", it was a good movie at that time. Welcome and follow the advice they give you. I made the mistake of buying "Pulp" too soon. The people here will not steer you in the wrong direction.
Have a nice stay here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back