• If you start a thread here you have permission to edit the thread and your posts indefinitely. So if the status of your sale or auction changes, please come back and update the thread.

Now you can be Bukowski! (1 Viewer)

looks like bullshit to me. Don't we know what typers Buk used over the years? I think that it is in the timeline. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't remember this being one that he used. Still, it is a damn nice looking typer.

Bill

the only thing I miss about writing with a typewriter is the sound and the almost physical connection with the words coming out on the page.
and the way they looked.
so I guess that's 2 things.
but everything else was a pain. corrections, ribbons, etc. especially if you're a lousy typist, which I am.

from the timeline...

Switches from Royal typewriter to an Olympia Standard [December] 1975

so he used an Olympia, just not the one on ebay.

(snippage)

the only thing I miss about writing with a typewriter is the sound

If you have a PC - you might enjoy this:

Code:
http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,7182-order,1-page,1-c,alldownloads/description.html

If you've ever yearned for the sounds of yesteryear, you'll appreciate this little
program. Every time you hit a key, you'll hear the racket of a typewriter from
your PC's speakers; hit the Return key and you'll get the familiar ratchet and
ring. The only thing missing? A sheet of carbon paper.

from the timeline...

Switches from Royal typewriter to an Olympia Standard [December] 1975

so he used an Olympia, just not the one on ebay.

Right. And if I remember John Martin bought Olympia for him in 1975. I can't imagine that he bought him a 1958 model in 1975.

So the typewriter story on ebay is 100% horseshit. Still, dropping Bukowski's name got some eyes on the auction, so I guess that plan worked...

Bill

If you have a PC - you might enjoy this:

C L I C K

If you've ever yearned for the sounds of yesteryear, you'll appreciate this little
program. Every time you hit a key, you'll hear the racket of a typewriter from
your PC's speakers; hit the Return key and you'll get the familiar ratchet and
ring. The only thing missing? A sheet of carbon paper.
Note: This download installs a small program that sends information to advertisers. Click here for more information about protecting yourself from this type of program, sometimes referred to as "spyware."

---

The Olympia is a great portable typewriter though, and that one looks real clean. Typing on one now is a bit precious and pomo though. ;) No one who had a choice between the Olympia, no matter how nice it is, and a computer would choose the Olympia (or any other typewriter).

Bukowski certainly abandoned his typewriters enthusiastically when he got a computer...

3/91: "For me, the computer is a total time saver, it lets you cut right to the business of getting it down and done so you can do some more. I love the fucking thing."

In a later letter he said he was writing three times more on his computer than he had on his typewriter.

Here is a typewriter sound maker for PC Keyboards without the spyware.

Free.

Noisy Keyboard
Do you miss the days of typewriters, when you heard a distinctive sound each time you
pressed one of the keys? Those days are back when you use Noisy Keyboard. This free
system tray-based utility lets you hear seven different types of sounds as you hunt and
peck your way through another computing session: one that plays when you hit the
Spacebar, another that's heard when you touch the Enter key, and a third that's played
when any other key is pressed. The setup program installs the sound events in the
Windows Control Panel/Sounds module, which means it's easy to modify the sounds that
are placed. Take advantage of the three crisp-sounding .wavs provided, or use your own.
Need a quiet keyboard for a moment? Just click on the program's system tray icon to
instantly mute the sound.

C L I C K for the homepage

Users who are viewing this thread

Back