• If you start a thread here you have permission to edit the thread and your posts indefinitely. So if the status of your sale or auction changes, please come back and update the thread.

Opinions about value...2 Buk chapbooks. (1 Viewer)

Hello, I'm new to the forum and was hoping someone could help estimating the value of these two chapbook. I'm interested in selling but I'm not sure where to start. Any help, helps. ?

20230624_174659.jpg

Very nice. I would look on eBay for actual sale prices among the completed auctions. Prices asked can be wishful thinking. Are they signed? Damned rare stuff. I've never seen them in person. If you show them to a rare book dealer, they'll offer you about 20% of market value at best. You're better off selling them yourself.

Rekrab,

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, they are not signed. I did look at the sold listings on Ebay and found Cold Dogs that sold for $499 recently. However, Run with the Hunted hasn't sold recently. I found it for sale on other sites that are asking around $2,500 (also unsigned). So, I'm contemplating doing an auction for both starting at $2000 and see what happens. Any thoughts?

I wouldn't combine them into one auction. That creates the impression that it's a blow-out sale, and you'll take what you can get. Buyers expect a bargain when they bid on multiple items as a lot. Also, buyers may already have one of them and not want to pay very much for a second copy. I would list them separately with starting bids of about half of what you eventually hope to get. If it doesn't sell, relist it at a lower starting bid, but not too low. Or, you can have a reserve price. There's a lot of psychology that goes into selling on eBay. Have lots of photos so there are no doubts as to the condition, any flaws, etc. Good luck.

I was going to post a long-winded response, but I’ll save it. The condition of those books is also a factor for any real collector and they don’t look great, just from what I can see. Most people throw those up with fantasy prices and they can sit literally unsold for years.
If I really wanted to sell, I’d do a no reserve auction starting at $99 for Dogs, $499 for Run. I’ve bought/sold/own multiple copies of both, but it’s just my opinion. Good luck!

yeah what the guy above said.

you'll find out what the real current market value is by doing what he suggested.

post good quality photos and cross your fingers!

I agree with what bonnie brae said. That will shake out the real price. The last few times I listed Bukowski items on eBay, I was disappointed with the results. Lower than I wanted/expected prices, or no sale after repeatedly lowering prices. I'm not sure how to read that. He still seems popular given all the quotes and photos that appear online, but are younger readers not collectors?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back