• If you start a thread here you have permission to edit the thread and your posts indefinitely. So if the status of your sale or auction changes, please come back and update the thread.

Personal Bukowski Collection (1 Viewer)

1. There's no business signed by author and artist 399 of 426
2. The last night of the earth poems signed and numbered 168 of 225 w/signed silk screen print
3. You get so alone hard cover trade first addition
4. Play the piano drunk signed 14 of 300
5. The roominghouse madrigals signed 356 0f 400
6. Dangling in the Tournefortia signed 216 of 350
7. Women signed 73 of 300
8 Bar Fly Hard cover trade 1st edition
9. Hollywood signed 107 of 150 with a signed print
10. War all the time signed 80 of 400
11. Septuagenarian stew signed 105 of 225 w/ signed original silk screen print
12. Ham on Rye signed 66 of 350
13. Laugh literary and man the humping guns volume 1, 1 2 and 3
14. People poems 222 of 700
15. 1989 New years greeting from Black Sparrow Press
16. Set of Post Cards (5)

Assorted Magazines
17. Gargoyle 32/33 ("Paris by Charles Bukowski")
18. Gargoyle 35 ( " Joe by Charles Bukowski")
19. Art Crimes #11 5 poems by Charles Bukowski
20. ONTHEBUS an interview with Charles Bukowski
21. PostOffice 1st English Edition
22. Frank # 8/9 exert from Hollywood
23. Long Shot volume 7 , 6 poems
24. Nightmares of reason #3 5 poems by Charles Bukowksi
25. The Face #94
26. All's normal here A Charles Bukowski Primer
27. Stance #5
28. Gypsy 2 and 3
29. Buffalo Stamps #2
30. Scream
31. Arete
32. Vagabond #5
33. Six Poets
34. Stance #3
35. Water Row Review #3
36. Blow 6
37. Off My Face
38. River Rat Review #2 and #3

welcome offers/questions thx.

It might help to put some ballpark prices on these. I suspect that will be everyone's first question..."How much?"

i have not really followed the market on this stuff - had a quick look on ebay but alot of the books i have arent on there and the prices people ask i have no idea if they end up selling for that - any advice on the worth of any of the books is welcome or if you could point me in the right direction to find out (besides ebay) thx.

i have not really followed the market on this stuff - had a quick look on ebay but alot of the books i have arent on there and the prices people ask i have no idea if they end up selling for that - any advice on the worth of any of the books is welcome or if you could point me in the right direction to find out (besides ebay) thx.
a good way to do it is to look for what has sold, if any have. That gives you a good idea. I also look on abe to get an idea, but realize that abe is what people are asking, not what they are getting, Most dealers will knock 20% off just for asking, so I usually use that as a guide, but always ask less.

Just as an example I checked Abe's and ham on rye signed and numbered was on sale for 2500 $ I believe ... Is that really the current worth roughly of some of the signed/numbered editions ... I would say most of mine are mint or no less than near mint some have never been read Or just read once I usually got a paperback edition to actual read ... I've owned all these for 28 years (roughly) purchased some from BSP when published (preordered) or from water row books. I'm gonna research Abe's more regarding the other titles thx.

Ham is definitely the most valuable given condition is fine or better, but $2500 is completely unrealistic. I would put it closer to $700-$900. A lot of great signed firsts are going begging right now, this being a buyers market unless you had something really unusual. You can also look up past PBA auctions for ideas, but that is also a different pool of buyers. I would take best offers here if you're determined to sell, and save yourself the eBay take. My opinion for what it's worth.

Have to agree with skiroomalum there, some Abe prices are completely ridiculous, especially those from Quintessential Rare Books LLC. Here's a guideline of what I think are reasonable and achievable prices in today's market (anyone disagreeing please feel free to comment):

1. There's no business signed by author and artist 399 of 426 $175-225
2. The last night of the earth poems signed and numbered 168 of 225 w/signed silk screen print $275-325
3. You get so alone hard cover trade first addition $40-60
4. Play the piano drunk signed 14 of 300 $250-300
5. The roominghouse madrigals signed 356 0f 400 $200-250
6. Dangling in the Tournefortia signed 216 of 350 $275-325
7. Women signed 73 of 300 $750-850
8 Bar Fly Hard cover trade 1st edition $40-60
9. Hollywood signed 107 of 150 with a signed print $450-550
10. War all the time signed 80 of 400 $225-275
11. Septuagenarian stew signed 105 of 225 w/ signed original silk screen print $275-325
12. Ham on Rye signed 66 of 350 $800-900

Hope this helps!

P.S.: The above is at the lower end of the spectrum. If you can wait and sit it out, you might get a lot more. Just not a good market to sell right now.

Thank you that helps out a lot
Is it standard for seller or buyer to take care of shipping costs or is it just something negotiated with the selling price

DavidK is a very knowledgeable collector, but I think those prices are low across the board. They're "gettable" in this market, but you may want to wait for a while and see if you can get more later, since the market is definitely down right now. I just sold a bunch of Buk books at a significant loss, and I felt I bought them all for "good" prices 5-7 years ago.

I think unless you have a true rarity it's going to be a buyer's market for a long, long time. There's just too many signed books/items out there. After a while it's just a blur of product with or without Hank's signature. Other than unique items like mss, original drawings, etc. there are what, maybe 10-15 truly rare items that would command enough interest to draw in big money. There's just a glut, and who will the new Bukowski collectors be? Other than fake internet quotes and tattoos there doesn't seem a tremendous cultural awareness of his work. We could be the last generation to truly give a shit about his words, legacy and "artifacts." I hope not, but it's certainly possible.

i think plenty of people still care about his words - it's the rare books they don't give a shit about. go to a rare book show and count the people you see who are under 40. i'll be the only one! (and you, if you're under 40.) the ABAA's many years of condescending snootiness has finally reduced the ranks to (with a few notable exceptions) a cabal of old men who will die out altogether within the next 20-25 years.

My wife works in a bookstore and tells me that very seldom does anyone come in and ask for Bukowski any more. Apparently, he's not as popular as he was a few years ago.

he's not as popular as he was a few years ago.
I'm not sure about this.

The reason is:
I definitely doubt that a huge (market-oriented) publisher as HarperCollins would take the risk to publish 3 new books by any author within 8 months - and thus creating a sort of competition between the single titles - without being sure that the author is a winner.
Even more so by knowing that City-Lights was publishing a new Buk at the same time. And - of course - vice versa from City-Lights.

So, I'd rather see this experience of your wife as a result of 'amazonization'.
The whole concept of local bookstores (even the big chains) is dying.

Roni, you're right. Her shop doesn't discount new books, so there is no doubt a lot of "showrooming" going on, with customers seeing books they want in the store, taking a photo of the cover with their phone, and then buying it cheaper on-line. The stream of new titles from big publishers suggests he's still selling, and it's more a matter of where those sales are happening.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, On Cats is also the #1 New Release in American Fiction Anthologies on Amazon, as On Writing was when it was released.

It's lovely that you're pleased, but for future reference, posting a list of books in a "Buy/sell/trade" forum and saying, "welcome offers" generally means you're selling the pieces individually, not that you are looking to sell the entire lot to one person.

If that was your intention from the beginning you should have said so, and saved the people who made offers on individual items the trouble.

It's bad form to offer a list of items to people when you don't intend to sell them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back