Photographer Mary Ellen Mark RIP (1 Viewer)

Oh man.

She was a genius photographer. She picked up where Diane Arbus left off. We must have a dozen of her books.

She was in the Finding Vivian Maier movie recently and she looked great. Surprising news.

I did not know who she was and she was a Philly native. If i were to pick up one of her books where would you suggest I begin?

Exposure
ir
would be a good retrospective to start with. It collects a lot of different stuff. So does 25 Years
ir

But she's got a lot of distinctly different phases as far as subject matter goes, so it depends on what piques your interest. Her 70s mental ward photos are pretty famous: Ward 81
ir
. She photographed Indian circus performers(!): Indian Circus
ir
. She was a photographer on film sets: Seen behind the scene
ir
. Americans, Bombay brothels, twins...it goes on and on. She photographed tons of interesting stuff. There's a lot out there.

I first became aware of her work in the 80s when she made a documentary called Streetwise (with her husband at the time) about homeless kids in the Pacific Northwest. If you can see that anywhere it's really worth a look (it's also a book, it's out of print so it's expensive - like a lot of photography books).

That's it.

Normally I'd say, "Don't watch it on a crappy YouTube video!" but it's not readily available anywhere, so you've got to go with what you've got.

yeah this seemed so out of blue. i'm in so much sleep debt right now, so i totally cried when i read the news.

someone showed me 25 years when i was 16 and i was blown away - i'd never seen photography like that before.

my guess is that she probably had cancer, maybe a fast-progessing kind? 75 is not old these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back