Picture of Bukowski I have never seen (1 Viewer)

Same page, without adds, ala bablefish:

noticia_10458_normal.jpg

Today we recommended Charles Bukowski because it seems to us that its work has become a fundamental rock from contemporary Literature and, in addition, because their works, as much their poetry as their narrative, constitute a flavorful and digerible work, little pretenciosa and - perhaps without quererlo- of an ethical speech it signs and clear.

Bukowskiano immoral humor, perhaps son or nephew of the proposals that already had been done in the U.S.A. by Henry Miller and Jack Kerouac (occupying as axis the sexual practices and the drug use, respectively), does not know anything in the matter of respect. Continuously it is ed ***reflx mng of the serious poets, of the failed writers, the successful artists and of the denigrated ones by substances, it is ed ***reflx mng of the women and the men, of whatever it wants to defend some idea, and it is also ed ***reflx mng of his own work. The suffering stands out, empty it of the things and the same existence, but once it makes see, it throws I kicks it in the ground. It defecates upon the excrement, we say. I create, and here those that want will be able to show their discord, that it is an authentic nihilista. "My only intention is not to be nothing; it seems most reasonable ", makes him declare to Chinaski in a story of Music of pipes.

Bukowski was a very honest type. Extremely honest. Some say that he was an insane person, who all their texts are insane people, nevertheless I I do not believe that Bukowski has altered its mental faculties, but rather quite the opposite: it has them so developed that it has learned to leave of side of the emotional thing consensuado much.

By means of Henry Chinaski, its alter-ego, Bukowski construct a very coherent form to see the things: a ethics, we could say. And, although always the life of the author is very important to include/understand its work, in this case is substantial. Let us say that Henry Charles Bukowski was born in Germany year 1920, product of the relation between a North American and a native one; early he left to the Angels to remain there, where year 1994 died. One went the childhood and the adolescence suffering a father who struck it and a acne that to him a complicated relation with its companions was worth; so that enclaustró and was put to read and soon to drink. He began to study journalism, but he let the race to begin a stroll by innumerable sporadic works, between which he emphasizes the one of mailman, from where first novel removes the ideas to write his: Mailman (Post office, 1971), that we can find translated to the Castilian in Anagram, in the collection Compact. That was his first novel and the argument to begin to dedicate itself completely to Literature, subject - the Literature that is going to be very recurrent between its stories and their novels. From in ahead he becomes a fruitful writer and a distinguished personage there from the world of the letters.

We emphasized here some of its translated works: Mailman, novel very chistosa, in that it begins to forge Henry Chinaski, a failed and drunk hero who is neither scared nor shame of anything, that it likes much to follar and to drink, and that has assumed that the life is not nothing so important; Music of pipes, a story set a little more mature - in the broad sense -, in which subjects like follar are approached, drinking and writing, and where an outline clearer of the bukowskiano thought can be - if it is that there is something to which thus can call to it him -, where see personages who one or two think that "the man is the sewer of the universe", personage who "when worse he felt, was when better he felt", and commentaries in mouth of Chinaski like the following one: "I am without coño fixed, chaval, that for me is like being without love. I am incapable to separate them. I am not so ready." One also recommends its last novel, Pulp, and mainly, still more that its stories, its poems, whose translations it is possible to be acceded in many sites in Internet, like for example in the bukowskiencastellano page . Nevertheless, the work of Bukowski is very extensive and very rich, and gives the same by where it begins. In addition, it made diverse visual works, and there is a great document number based on his person and her work, between which they appear films and paintings, so that to arrive at this author never it will be very difficult in which to diffusion it refers.

Only that raises the suspicions are that Bukowski writes. Why it writes? It clarifies it in several occasions, makes say to his personages writers who write because thus they obtain a little money. But the suspect is that to write it is an art that implies a contact of words with an immense universe of people, with hidden and unsuspected emotions. To write is to communicate with the world, that is something that Chinaski seemed to despise. Why it was not dedicated to sell cars or to any thing that indeed allowed him to cagar itself in the world? Because Bukowski was a solitaire. But, to perhaps be single and writing at night, to be writer it is to be section of people? I do not create. That, apparently, is the only great bukowskiana contradiction, contradiction that make me rethink his here supposed nihilismo, and the existence of the nihilismo in general. Who can say that he is nihilista? He is similar to say that he is humble.

He's beginning to look old to me in that
picture...

Right, he IS looking old. But I can't remember seeing him with such a beard in later years.

Maybe the shirt gives a hint. It reminds me of the one he wears on the first 4 pics here:
http://bukowski-gesellschaft.de/div/Buk-shirt.jpg
(top left by a certain Ann Cavellini, the others by Montfort - except maybe the bottom-right one.)

another idea that comes to mind (and would fit the style of the pic) are the ones by Claude Powell. The shirt he wears on the famous pics, of which the 5th one on the given link is an example, could also be the one in question.

Another thought: The pose and his jacket make me think of the track as a setting for the pic. At least it looks like anywhere in public, right?

Right, he IS looking old. But I can't remember seeing him with such a beard in later years.

(snip)

Another thought: The pose and his jacket make me think of the track as a setting for the pic. At least it looks like anywhere in public, right?

Right. The track. The way his hair is blowing around makes me think of wind - outside - at the track.

Linda said he usually won when he didn't need the money. His beard makes me
think he wasn't winning. Why dress up to give your money away?

His hair is beginning to gray. More than say in this picture:

bukowski047.jpg

More like:

bukowski013.jpg

I don't believe he was in Germany, however. Nothing about it fits except his
approximate age.

I've found it, kids!
(I was right on the shirt and the track - hehe)

The photographer was JOE WOLBERG !

Go for 'Bukowski in pictures' pages 16 and 74-79 !
any more questions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back