Pleasants And His Interview Tapes (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MULLINAX

Have spent all day with the Ben Pleasants Biography of Charles Bukowski. As far as I know Ben is the only guy to have bothered to interview Harold ("I'm an Episcopalian choir boy") Mortenson and William ("The neighbourhood has turned" and "I felt up Jane") Mullinax. Baldy died in the 80s and Harold was still alive in 2003, says Ben. Ben mentions REAMS of interview tapes.

Where are these tapes?

Have they been distributed, unknown to me?

Have they been transcribed?

Have they been erased, lost or thrown out?

If Ben is reading this, I command you to respond!

Make it easier for him - just provide any "Nazi" tapes. Not transcripts (meaningless), but the actual tapes. I would like to hear some of these things that Bukowski supposedly said only to Ben Pleasants and never to any of the other people in his life.

Telepathic communication with Buk's still sentient remains at the gravesite might answer some questions. Then again, Ben might have some better proofs.

Make it easier for him - just provide any "Nazi" tapes. Not transcripts (meaningless), but the actual tapes. I would like to hear some of these things that Bukowski supposedly said only to Ben Pleasants and never to any of the other people in his life.

I would even like to beliefe that there ARE such tapes - but wouldn't neccessarily be any proofs for being a real Nazi. We know Buk said a LOT of things when a certain mood moved in.
Doesn't proof anything.
(if some vicious mind would like to show Bukowski 'liked' Hitler, he could refer to that famous quote from the Schroeder-Bukowski-Tapes, that we all know, and make up a point out of that, which obviously is ridiculous, but possible.)

Yep. I only say "Produce the tapes!" because I'm pretty sure there are no such tapes. Pleasants has shown quite a talent for taking a grain of sand and building a big fairy tale sand castle out of it. "It is clear to me that this castle is the ultimate expression of what that grain of sand meant." Sure.

I desperately want to hear his Buk tapes... But I really, REALLY want his Fante tapes. I've never found any Fante audio recordings and its killing me...

I'd like to hear him say "She turned out to be a god-damned lesbian!"

Was he a Nazi sympathizer? Pre-December 1941 I bet he saw something in it. Why wouldn't he? Before the horrors became known (particularly during the 30s) it was not uncommon for Nazism to be seen as a force for good... (i.e. ending economic depression, a bulwark against communism etc) even the Catholic Church maintained diplomatic ties with the Nazi Government not to mention the US pre-1940s. Would any sympathies pre 1941 make Bukowski a "Nazi" in the context of what it means today? Not at all... and I bet there is no verifiable evidence anywhere that proves Bukowski was a virulent anti-semite or a knowing supporter of any murderous political regime.

Its more than dishonest to de-contextualize a persons life decades after an event in aid of portraying him as condoning murder or pernicious racial vilification.

or a knowing supporter of any murderous political regime.

Well that includes most people buying products from China or Indonesia or those of us enjoying the benefits of countries that contract with China or Indonesia or etc...

Ignorance is indeed bliss

Stepping of soapbax now-apologies for the misthread.

Well that includes most people buying products from China or Indonesia or those of us enjoying the benefits of countries that contract with China or Indonesia or etc

A bold statement indeed.

Gotta be careful in that terrain... You might shoot the neighbor. There are some who would argue that you include the US in your grand sweep of nations (not just Asian ones)... and if you're going there you will need to include her allies cos, y'know, they support th US and 'they all contract with China or Indonesia'.

If you're arguing that we're all tarred with the same brush then you're arguing that Bukowski was no probably more guilty than anyone else including you and I. I am assuming your nation trades with Indonesia and China.

This thread has veered off course into dark and choppy waters. Get into the lifeboats! Women and moderators first!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back