Please suggest some writers who are like Bukowski (1 Viewer)

i'm desperate for more stuff like bukowski. i'm like a teenager who ran out of weed. i've read fante, celine, miller, lawrence, richmand. i havent read anything that has even attempted to kick my ass in over a year. theres a lot of good, smooth writing---but i cant find anything to get me feeling weird and wonderful the way old bukowski can make me feel. please, give me some ideas of what to read.

'Allo Justin: First off, hit the "New Blood" forum and tell us a bit about yerself there. But you have here, so I'll dig:

A'in't no shit like Buk. Perhaps you need to procure some rare-ish publications with not-to-be-found-elsewhere stuff. Legs, Hips and Behind would be a good place to start. Or, check the Manuscripts and/or Unpublished sections of this marvelous website.

If that don't do it, then suck up and deal. Looking for "someone who writes like Bukowski" is like trying to lick God's pussy. Not gonna happen.

There are several great poets on this very website. They a'in't Buk, but who is?

Hint: Rekrab and FL. :cool: And Hosho. :cool: More, no doubt.

Maybe hoochmoonkey, but we are still waiting for his monolithic destruction of all that is real. ;)

I'm definitely down with Michel Houellebecq. Modern French wirter. Start with Atomised (in US called The Elementary Particles).

Same no bullshit approach.

Yeah! This guy kicks ass!

I started with 'Extension du domaine de la lutte', his first novel. (engl. transl.: 'Whatever' - Houellebecq himself claimed, it's a Bad english translation; i don't know it, so i can't decide.) This one is a great and wonderful downer!

Recently i've read 'Plateforme' (engl. transl.: 'Platform'). Not as good as 'Extension...' but still great. Gave me some hard-ons.

I'm definitely down with Michel Houellebecq. Modern French wirter. Start with Atomised (in US called The Elementary Particles).

Same no bullshit approach.

I read his nonfiction book on H. P. Lovecraft (if I'm thinking of the same author), and it was very good, with some fresh, perceptive insights. I'll have to try his fiction.

That Rekrab couldn't write his way out of a paperbag, although he's tried several times. He always gets stuck in there with the apple core and the half eaten cheese sandwich.

the frenchy sounds good. i have trouble reading translations sometimes. especially if i understand little to nothing about the language. it makes me feel disconected from the writer. still, i read celine and loved each each line so maybe mike would do the same...

i also suggest Father Luke.

dylan thomas, rimbaud, carver.

nikki giovanni and dorianne laux.

read some tom robbins if you haven't.

there are a lot of very good poets at literarymary.

Maybe hoochmoonkey, but we are still waiting for his monolithic destruction of all that is real. ;)

o, it's coming, brother.

AND YE SHALL BEHOLD THE SMITE AND THUNDER OF MY MIGHTY-

o, nevermind...

I read Houellebecq's Platform and it left me a bit cold. I blame the translation. but I'm currently reading his The Possibility of an Island and loving it. lives up to the hype.

not sure if it's the same translator. should check that.

It really starts with the title. Who ever decided to translate "Extension du domain de la lutte" to Whatever was the real genius. The most stupid "translation" I know of.

Modern day Bukowski, non-fiction works

Is there good reading material in Bukowski like form that looks at modern drinking culture. Or modern culture in general.

Basically, what are into reading that is similar to some of Bukowski's work.

Is there good reading material in Bukowski like form that looks at modern drinking culture. Or modern culture in general.

galtor is asking about things Bukowski wrote
which examine the drinking life.

Basically, what are into reading that is similar to some of Bukowski's work.

We should really highlight the threads where
we discuss who else do you like. . . who do you
like that writes like Bukowski, etc.

Oh. . .
look at the time. . .
and me leaving on Monday. . .

Shit.
Good luck.

- -
Okay,
Father Luke

Hi
Can anyone recommend any other writers a Bukowski fan might enjoy? I've read Fante. Don't really like William Burroughs, or Celine, or Hunter S. Thompson. My favorite Bukowski books are Post Office, The Days Run Away..., Last Night of the Earth Poems. But I love everything by Bukowski, except maybe his short stories. They often seem a bit flabby to me.

I'll take recommendations for novelists or poets or story writers. I like Raymond Carver, Salinger, Hemingway, Martin Amis, Andy Warhol.

Anyone got anything?

Hosho McCreesh, Carol Es, Stephen Hines, Camus, Kafka, Bud Smith, Willie Vlautin. Carson McCullers...

I suggest Antonin Artaud who wrote unclassifiable things--prose poems, rants, manifestos. Really out there on the edge. Check out his "Van Gogh, The Man Suicided By Society." Wow.

Also Denis Johnson who was a terrific poet and wrote a bunch of kick-ass novels. His story collection Jesus's Son is brilliant. Lots of drugs and hallucinations.

If you like plays, try Sam Shepard. Fool For Love, Buried Child. Almost any of them are great. The very early ones, like Unseen Hand and Forensic & The Navigators are infused with that sixties outlaw/drug feeling. He also wrote short stories which are excellent, one collection being Day Out Of Days. Paris, Texas was also an interesting film he wrote the screenplay for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back