Poems written... 8 story window (1 Viewer)

Looks real. But I'm looking at the picture on my phone, so I can't be positive until I get a better look.

I'm looking at the picture on my phone...
Typical elite liberal. Probably reading the forum on his fancy phone because he's driving a teenager to an abortion clinic or on the way to a filthy "center" somewhere to hand out free food to bums.

For what it's worth, most of that signature looks hesitant and choppy to me, and I might have second thoughts if it were my money.

It could very well be genuine. He did produce some fucked up signatures from time to time. But with someone like Bukowski, where there are a million signed items out there, it might be a better bet to go for something a little more typical or verifiable.

sig-1.jpg

okay, I had a better look. while I'm not convinced that it's real, I'm also not convinced that it's fake. but err on the side of caution and assume it's fake.

sorry it took so long for me to look at this again, but the abortion clinic was swamped. speaking of which, mjp your auntie-sister-cousin wants you to know she's feeling fine and the next time you visit could you fetch her home her good Sunday teeth. "the one's fixed outta play doh an' chiclets."

I don't judge, I just facilitate.

Yeah, and the seller also said that the cheapest available copy unsigned was 200 Pounds. That is not true even if a first edition, as opposed to this second edition. The signature could be real, but I would not take a chance.

Hmmmph. There are certain elements to that signature that look quite genuine, but there are some things that just don't seem right. I'd tend to agree with the guy who took his cock to the veterinarian.

The signature looks questionable to me. Not bad, just not sure. And the dog drawing seems too "smooth." Buk's drawings have a more erratic, scratchy look to me. This one almost seems too well done to be his work. It could be real, but I wouldn't risk it with my money (not that I could afford an unsigned copy these days.)

not necessarily disagreeing w/you, david... except on the matter of a drawing of an "eight-pointed dog" ever being considered "well done."

I mean the smooth flow of the lines, not the image per se. Buk's drawings seem more scratchy in an erratic, unpredictable way, like he had no idea where the pen was headed and did it in a flash. The dog in the photo looks premeditated and perfect to me. Hell, it was probably done while he was sober.

I just looked at the "Art" section of the Forum and it's all paintings -- no drawings. Somewhere there's probably a collection of drawings online. I was going to check to see if it's true what I said about scratchiness, or if I'm just making that up, but that'll have to wait until I can find some drawings for comparison.

The cover of The Continual Condition has three different dogs on it (although they are similar to one another). All of those have a certain "spontaneity" that the dog in question does not seem to possess. Attached is a dog from my Roominghouse Madrigals, which is more like those on The Continual Condition than the one in question.

Roominghouse Colophon.JPG

I'm sure we've seen this posted before, but haven't been able to find an old thread so far.

Here's the sig in question again...

Poems_Written_Before.jpg

I tried to correct the perspective etc. While it could quite easily be a genuine (if strangely careful) signature, I think I'd always have a nagging doubt if I bought it. It didn't sell yet and has been relisted.

Edit: After a little more consideration, and a return to our old friend the manuscript archive, I think it is a fake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back