Pulp signed ed. (1 Viewer)

jordan

lothario speedwagon
is this description (found on amazon.com) describing a fake, or did buk not die before pulp was published (as I had thought):

Seller: thedustybookshelf
Rating:99% positive over the past 12 months (198 ratings.) 404 lifetime ratings.
Shipping: In Stock. Ships from KS, United States Expedited shipping available. International shipping available. See shipping rates.
Comments: Publisher: Black Sparrow Press
Date of Publication: 1994
Binding: Hardcover
Condition: Near Fine/Near Fine
Description: 8vo - over 7" - 9" tall 0876859287 Signed by Author This book is quite rare as it is Not numbered, but it is signed by Bukowski with a little drawing of a dog underneath, on the page after the title page. Aside from the numbered set, he didn't sign many of these (research found few others). Original red paper covered boards with yellow, blue and white picture on front and back board, black cloth covered spine. Very light rubbing at lower board edges. Comes with original acetate jacket, which looks to be lightly rubed at head and foot of spine, at lower edges, and at corners, but otherwise fine. Pictures available, please inquire.

Hi,
Buk signed the pages that were tipped in. As long as this is numbered at the rear colophon, it is almost certainly authentic. Black Sparrow did miss some copies that they did not number, so that is not a deal breaker. This was not the last book that was released by Bukowski and was released signed after he died.

You are right, though, Bukowski dies before this book was published.

Bill

followup.... I see that he wants $500. You could buy two numbered and signed copies on abe for that price. Lacking the number on the colophon would not add anything to the value (I would think that in this case, it would lessen the value, as it removes one piece of "evidence" to its authenticity).

Possibly real, but overpriced....
Bill

most of the prices on the amazon marketplace are outrageous... some of the bookstores there are also on abe, but some seem like they've never checked around to see what other people sell things for. pulp is one of the books i'm waiting for a good deal on, since the basic signed ed. is, to me, among the least desirable numbered editions of bukowski: no colored spine to set it apart from the trade ed., and a high limitation as well. i'd like the illustrated copy, but that goes for significantly more (as it should, since it's a lower limitation with more features). plus, everyone says the book isn't very good anyway.

so, it sounds like black sparrow "forgot" to number that copy, since "the page behind the title page" seems to be in reference to the blank page tipped in. (i just like the "buk didn't sign all that many of these", which makes it sound like he hand-signed this particular copy, which couldn't have been the case.)

okay, so here's my follow up question- the one book i have signed (screams) uses that tipped-in signature page, and it just has his signature, nothing else. does anyone with a signed copy of pulp want to check to see if the pages tipped into pulp in fact have the dog drawing on them as well as the sig?

maybe i'm getting a little too involved in this... just curious.

so, it sounds like black sparrow "forgot" to number that copy, since "the page behind the title page" seems to be in reference to the blank page tipped in. (i just like the "buk didn't sign all that many of these", which makes it sound like he hand-signed this particular copy, which couldn't have been the case.)
Carol has a signed copy of Pulp, and the signature is behind the title page, but it is numbered on the colophon page as well. If Bill says some were issued signed but not numbered I believe it, I've just never seen one. A lot of the signatures I've seen in Pulp are pretty shaky too, which is understandable, considering they were signed at the end of Bukowski's life.

Just to clarify, any book that was signed after it was bound is not part of any signed issue, since the pages were always signed before the books were bound. That's just the way it's done (to avoid shipping hundreds of pounds of books back and forth).

There was a talk radio guy named Art Bell, who years ago "signed" his first book on Avery labels that were then stuck into the bound books. Ha. It doesn't get much cheesier than that.

...and for anyone who has ever listened; it doesn't get much CHEESIER than Art Bell! Although I wasted MANY a hour listening to that show at 2, 3, 4 am....
I bought PULP directly from BSP, I remember paying 40 bucks (pre-order), then he PAST... BSP called me and wanted to make sure I still wanted it, they admitted they were getting TONS of requests for signed copies... it's a CLEAN, NICE signature (if I can figure it out?! I'll post it, or more likely FWD it to BILL!). It's copy 630.

Also, I believe that in a trade edition, the page after the title page would not be blank, so it would not be easy to forge a page, cut the binding open, rebind with the forged signature. Can anyone confirm that this page is not blank on the trade edition of Pulp?

As far as the dog/man with bottle/sin drawings, Bukowski did those randomly. It certainly would raise the value in my mind, but I'm not sure how much. If I was given the choice of one with a signature, or one with a signature and a doodle, I'll take the doodle and would probably be happy to pay a few duckets more....

Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back