zoom man

Founding member
Frank Schatzing-> The Swarm
(Der Schwarm, author is German)

This is a great, huge (900 pages) book.
I've got ~200 pages to go....

The movie rights have just been sold
(Uma Thurman (YUM:D ) to co-star).

This book has been a best-seller in Germany for almost 2 years,....
Just getting its English release now.
Any Germans here?!,->
How is his medievel-myster book set in Koln (Cologne)?
No English translation for that one yet,...

But WoW!,
I'm totally impressed with this one, and this isn't my type of schtick!

Why do I recommend this book?,
Makes you really think....
(Cool science/religious stuff)
The many characters are smart AND down-to-earth
And I'm very impressed with the translator....->
That must be a bitch! But she did one helluva job!

This is much more than a Cussler/Crighton etc....
(not big fans of either, tho only read one book from each)
Buy this book twice, 2 1st editions, 1st printing....
1 to read, one to sell when it's worthy!!
Honest, If the American public can stand such a HUGE book,
This is gonna be a biggie!

Ok, next post,
Who are you reading and recommend/ give big kudos to?!
(Inquiring book-speculators want to know :))

Thanks for the suggestion. :)

I prefer reading the books of the world's greatest philosopher since Rene Descartes.

http://www.lulu.com/newport

If and when these books are picked up by a "real" publisher (a maverick of sorts) these current editions will become collector's items.

Sorry, but I went to that website and this guy seems like a schmuck.

'Life is but a dream and therefore death is a good thing because then we return to our spiritual reality'?? I mean, first off, the idea that life is a fake is not very original. Bill Hicks said it in 1984, and the hippies has been saying it since 1967. And probably more people I don't know about as well. And the notion that death is good since life is a fake, well, if it's so damn good why don't the author kill himself?

Sorry, this seems like another new age, quasi-philosophical ex-junkie who found out that there is money to be made writing bullshit.

No offence.

I reccomend Abo Rasuls two books: Scandinavian Misanthropy I & II (Subtitles for them are 'The Cocka Hola Company' and 'Macht und Rebel'). Hope they have been translated into english, because so far I have only seen the Norwegian version. (The author is Norwegian. Abo Rasul is a pseudonym.)

I also reccomend Luke Rhinehart 'The Diceman'. A great book. In short, a well respected psychiatrist decides to let a dice rule his life. Sounds cheesy? Well, to give you an example:

Luke sits in his living room and he is looking at a playing card that has fallen on top of a dice. He says to himself: 'If the dice under that playing card shows 1-5 I am going to go to bed, kiss my wife goodnight and continue my life as I have done so far. If it shows a 6, then I will go to my good friends apartment downstairs and rape his wife.'

The dice shows a six.

oneiros said:
Sorry, but I went to that website and this guy seems like a schmuck.

'Life is but a dream and therefore death is a good thing because then we return to our spiritual reality'?? I mean, first off, the idea that life is a fake is not very original. Bill Hicks said it in 1984, and the hippies has been saying it since 1967. And probably more people I don't know about as well. And the notion that death is good since life is a fake, well, if it's so damn good why don't the author kill himself?

Sorry, this seems like another new age, quasi-philosophical ex-junkie who found out that there is money to be made writing bullshit.

No offence.

There are no more original ideas--inventions perhaps, but not ideas.
Hicks said life is an illusion, and so did the ancient Chinese.

Hicks merely said it, he didn't explain what he meant. Newport does.

The author has refrained from killing himself so as to enjoy the reactions to his work. Your reaction is quite typical, unoriginal, and knee-jerk. Just like the rest of the sheep. Good for you. You fit in just swell.

Cheers for taking the time to tell us how you so easily dismiss and ridicule what you haven't even taken a proper bite of.

:)

^ good gravy.

I've currently enjoyed Celtic Wonder Tales by Ella Young. Because I read children's books. My bukowski is nestled quite comfortably next to my baum, thankyouverymuch.

Ella Young is delightful. She wrote The Unicorn with Silver Shoes, which is currently the most Expensive Book I Own. It ranges from $40 - $500, depending on the copy. I have a good copy. Anyway, Celtic Wonder Tales is fantastic, Young's versions of irish folklore (children of lir, that sort of thing).

Hicks merely said it, he didn't explain what he meant. Newport does.

Yeah, just like this guy merely says what he thinks. Dumbass. If you had listened to Hicks' shows, cd's and videos you would know that Hicks very vividly explained what he meant by life being an illusion (just a ride).

Yea, I'm sure I am the first guy to ever put into question this Newport (greatest philosopher since Descartes..man how lame) with his lame, unoriginal, boring ideas. And I am sure that since you yourself are such a cutting edge badass bohemian (I mean, you believe in a totally unknown philosphers ideas; how RADICAL!!1) I cannot possibly fathom what you're on about.

Please notice the sarcasm. Tool.

oneiros, brother schenker is newport. he just speaks in the third person. heads up.

Hey now. Everyone sekkle, as the yardies would say...

Keep the personal attacks under wraps, lads. It's just writing.

oneiros, you don't dig it, we hear you. No need to twist the knife.

Brother Schenker, if you link to your stuff you have to be prepared for the reaction, good or bad.

That's why we don't have long threads full of people's poems with comments from other people saying how very much they do not like them. It's bad for the forum mojo, it poisons the well.

I like strong opinions, but let's keep the bloodshed to a minimum here. Be different.

oneiros said:
Yeah, just like this guy merely says what he thinks. Dumbass. If you had listened to Hicks' shows, cd's and videos you would know that Hicks very vividly explained what he meant by life being an illusion (just a ride).

No, he most certainly did not vividly explain what he meant by life being an illusion. He didn't explain it at all. Not for a moment. And I have all his audio & video---including loads of bootlegs. I've redd all the available books about him, too, and not one of them features any elaboration on his statement that life is an illusion.

He was a stand-up comic, not a philosopher, so it's understandable why he did not feel the need to elaborate.

I don't mind people taking the piss about the books as long as it's based on actual consumption instead of just advertising blurbs or previews or reviews.

But go ahead and take the piss anyhow; it'll only toughen me up.

You will indeed read at least one of the books before you depart this mortal world, oneiros, and you will find their vitriol irresistible. I stake my mortal life on it.

Honestly, that self promotion had the worst tag line, to think that a book called ice cream and poop would somehow interest a descarte fan is ridiculous. The ideas are done and the gimmick of being a "fucken lunatic," are so unnecessary, on the other hand if it was written to be a joke book, whatever kind of "clown slap pie face" award those books get should be on your mantle very soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back