Respectfully Broached: Errors in Krumhansl (1 Viewer)

jordan

lothario speedwagon
first, let me say thanks, aaron, for taking the time to post on this forum. as suggested by chronic in another thread, i started this as a thread to track errors people find in krumhansl's bibliography. i feel like an asshole doing so, given how much time i've spent referencing and rereferencing that amazing book, but here goes...

to start things off: it looks like, from the responses in the "screams from the balcony" thread, the colophon page in the "numbered, signed, illustrated" edition is incorrectly listed as having a "signed, serigraph print", when in fact, the print is not signed (nor does the colophon actually state that it is).

This would also be a great place to post other items that turned up after the biblio was published, but were in existence before. An example are the three known variants for the broadside "Husk". Only one was known at the time, but later, other variants surfaced. The biblio lists one variant, but I have three here in front of me.

Yes, the biblio is an amazing refernce that I use almost daily. There are just a few omissions and errors in this book, but it is still the most important book for anyone that is considering ever buying any Bukowski first edition.

"BUY THIS BOOK FIRST" IT will pay for itself quickly.

Bill

Corrections and additions

first as suggested by chronic in another thread, i started this as a thread to track errors people find in krumhansl's bibliography.

to start things off: it looks like, from the responses in the "screams from the balcony" thread, the colophon page in the "numbered, signed, illustrated" edition is incorrectly listed as having a "signed, serigraph print", when in fact, the print is not signed (nor does the colophon actually state that it is).
This would also be a great place to post other items that turned up after the biblio was published, but were in existence before. An example are the three known variants for the broadside "Husk". Only one was known at the time, but later, other variants surfaced. The biblio lists one variant, but I have three here in front of me.

Bill

Jordan/Bill:

These are excellent ideas. The fact that we have this many Bukowski scholars/superfans in one place will make it quite easy to correct the known errors and find any other errors (hopefully not too many...)

1.) Screams From the Balcony question:

The best I can offer on this point is the fact that the silkscreens are printed with the BUK signature from the original artwork. Somewhere I read (Sounes, Miles, or a letter) that Bukowski at some point decided to quit doing paintings for the books. If memory serves right he enjoyed painting/illustrating when he felt like it not when he "had" to.

Additionally, I would tend to believe that as Hank's health deteriorated JM started using the silkscreened BUK signature on prints. Prior to this point (1993 or so) I believe that Bukowski did pen sig's on the silkscreens. This means that Screams would not have a holograph signature on the silkscreen. The same could hold true for Pulp. I have seen pieces of bukowski artwork with holograph BUK signatures mostly in black. I think that I have also examined a few pieces that were signed in pencil. I've gone through some of my files but cannot locate definite info on pencil sig's.

This does mean that the colophon could be improperly transcribed for Pulp as well as Screams. I do not have copies of either of these books right now can anyone verify these points?

Does anyone have a signed/illustrated copies of The Last Night of the Earth Poems #129 d/e or Pulp #139 d/e? If so check your illustration page and see if they look like sig's or printed sig's. Also worth checking would be the colophon of Pulp.

Most of the later parts of the bib were based on formatting of the earlier parts of the bib with adjustments made to format as the books evolved to more expanded states of issue. Mind you also that 3 qualified persons and I proofed the thing many times over before putting it to bed. Well shit the bed we did...

It seems that Play the Piano is the first book with a silkscreen, anyone have a copy of this pup with a silkscreen (#68 d or e)? I do have a rejected 8.5 x 11 drawing done for this book. According to JM there were about a dozen drawings done for the book and they picked the one they felt best fit the book. The drawing I have is signed BUK in black ink but that does not verify the state of the issued book silkscreens.

2.) I will be tracking these items for a possible supplement and as Bill said if you have any other items that are unaccounted for (advance copies, promos, variants, etc.) please let me know. I will log the info as it trickles in.

Best,

AK

Screams from the balcony is printed with 'BUK' i.e. it is part of the silkscreen.
It is signed on the next (blank) page. This is from copy 'Z'.
Likewise Pulp. Copy 'X'.
The silkscreen in Play the piano... is actually signed (in red felt-tipped pen) and numbered "78/100" in pencil (in this case).
Last night of the earth poems is harder to be definite about. I think it is signed (as opposed to printed) on the silkscreen page ("Buk 92") and mine is also signed on the colophon page and the page opposite the title page with an inscription (presentation copy).

Wow. I finally feel like I'm earning my keep!

Wow, thanks for all the info on "Screams" and the prints. I have a photo of the colophon from my copy of Screams, although I can't download it off my camera just yet. I'll post it here when I can.

Also, i don't think the broadside for Bring Me Your Love is listed. I should check that, but I don't have my copy with me right now (most of the listings for it on Abe mention that it's not in there). I have no idea about the publication details, though, although I'd be happy to provide photos.

Also, i don't think the broadside for Bring Me Your Love is listed. I should check that, but I don't have my copy with me right now (most of the listings for it on Abe mention that it's not in there). I have no idea about the publication details, though, although I'd be happy to provide photos.

Hi,
I believe that the broadsides for "There's No Business" & Bring Me Your Love" are not listed in the biblio because they do not contain any new material. They are fliers announcing the release with info on buying the book, but no poems or excerpts are included. The same goes with the Broadside for Factotum. Although they are ephemeral items, they are not liike the broadside for "Ham On Rye", which contains an excerpt from the book. I BELIEVE, that by bibliographical standards, these three items should only be mentioned in the bibliography as a note, and not an entry.

Someone more informed can probably confirm this, and I could be wrong....

Bill

p.s. For someone that loves his collection to be able to be numbered and cataloged, this does drive me crazy, but I think that once you go down this road of counting every promotional announcement from all publishers, it can get too involved and starts making stretches...

Screams from the balcony is printed with 'BUK' i.e. it is part of the silkscreen.
It is signed on the next (blank) page. This is from copy 'Z'.
Likewise Pulp. Copy 'X'.
The silkscreen in Play the piano... is actually signed (in red felt-tipped pen) and numbered "78/100" in pencil (in this case).
Last night of the earth poems is harder to be definite about. I think it is signed (as opposed to printed) on the silkscreen page ("Buk 92") and mine is also signed on the colophon page and the page opposite the title page with an inscription (presentation copy).

Wow. I finally feel like I'm earning my keep!

ROC

Thanks for the help with these. This shows that the Screams and Pulp entries are corrupt. Mistakes being made in the colophon transcription and the silkscreen description. These two have been logged for repair.

I believe that the broadsides for "There's No Business" & Bring Me Your Love" are not listed in the biblio because they do not contain any new material. They are fliers announcing the release with info on buying the book, but no poems or excerpts are included. The same goes with the Broadside for Factotum. Although they are ephemeral items, they are not liike the broadside for "Ham On Rye", which contains an excerpt from the book. I BELIEVE, that by bibliographical standards, these three items should only be mentioned in the bibliography as a note, and not an entry.
You are dead on with this. The fliers for "No Business & Bring Me Your Love" are probably more along the lines of an R. Crumb A item.

Fliers/Broadsides without Bukowski text were not included as "primary publications" because they do not Bukowski.

Nonetheless they are still nice graphic pieces.

Best,

Aaron

Not 100% sure this is an error, but for the revised hardcover edition of Women the biblio states that the title page was printed in tan, red and black. The copy I have (stated second printing - revised) has the title page printed in shades of black only. Is this an error or is my copy the second second printing?

Also, The Laughing Heart (1996 NYG) is listed as having both a hardcover, numbered and signed issue and a hardcover, lettered and signed issue

Not 100% sure this is an error, but for the revised hardcover edition of Women the biblio states that the title page was printed in tan, red and black. The copy I have (stated second printing - revised) has the title page printed in shades of black only. Is this an error or is my copy the second second printing?

Hi,
It is completely possible that there was a second printing of the second edition in that same year. That would mean that your second printing is not THE second printing that was listed in Krumhansl, but a printing following that one. Of course, the biblio could be wrong, but it seems that this may a later 1979 printing. It is especially possible as the 1/400 second printing was published in March 79, giving there enough time to reprint it again in 79...

I'm not sure how much this all helps. Someone out there with a color second printing could clear this up, though.

Bill

If Women followed the same general release pattern that most Black Sparrow books did (softcover first with hardcover following later), I would assume the revised hardcover has a black and white (and grey halftone) title page, because the revised softcover does:

women-revised.jpg

mjp,
You may be right. What could throw this off is that it is hard to tell if they removed the "second printing, revised" wording on other later printings that were printed in the same year. This is the old argument that a copy of Post Office printed in 2000 is still a first edition, 27th printing, by bibliographical standards if the 27th printing is identical to the 1st. The only way to know is if someone on this list has a second printing, revised with a color title page.

As a collector, I only consider the 1st edition/first printing to be the edition that I am interested. If I was to accept a much later printing as a first, I would have much more money in the bank....

Best,Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back