rubyred and i at the alternative press expo (1 Viewer)

jordan

lothario speedwagon
i found this picture over on the fantagraphics flickr site. it's ostensibly supposed to be a picture of their table, but look at that handsome couple in the background (look for the green shirt and the red shirt)! were were at the table for the magazine hi-fructose... if you haven't heard of it and like the current wave of lowbrow/pop surrealist art, it's a great mag.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fantagraphics/3002194558/in/set-72157608637125862/

i found this picture over on the fantagraphics flickr site. it's ostensibly supposed to be a picture of their table, but look at that handsome couple in the background (look for the green shirt and the red shirt)! we were at the table for the magazine hi-fructose... if you haven't heard of it and like the current wave of lowbrow/pop surrealist art, it's a great mag.

If I squint I see you two. Very cool. Checked out hi-fructose on the web. See they even send mags not too far from home here. I'll have to check it out. All I see on the stands around here is Juxtapoz, which is pretty interesting. After that it's Coop's blog or the H.A.M.B. forum for hot rod excesses.

I caaaan see you... and the expo looks awesome. We never have those around here... I mean, people like you :)

the expo was great, tons of great art. i got these two handpainted 'vintage' (i.e. thrift store) handbags from a sacramento artist called skinner, who had a booth there:

2993516219_4ccd7a2f3b_o.jpg

2993516101_72c9888bfd_o.jpg

the thing i like about these is that it's a totally cool way to own and display original art; we already have a ton of stuff up on our walls, plus a ton of stuff waiting to be framed (and we still went ahead a bought a couple of beautiful giclees at the expo).

jordan, why is that dude staring so intently at your crotch?

my guess is penis tattoo.

please forgive me.

one of the coolest things about getting artist signatures and graphic novelist/cartoonists/comic artists' signatures is that they're hardly ever 'ordinary'. we got some fantastic improv sketches from a bunch of these guys - they're more than happy to take the time to do them.

for most of the 2 days we spent at the expo, we were lugging round this ENORMOUS (16x21") book, and out of the 60 contributors we got 16 signatures - some of the sketches are pure brilliance. there was one guy who "we" (i.e. JORDAN) harassed for signatures multiple times over the course of the weekend, and he was such a good sport about it, signed with really cool little sketches in every single book (and there must have been like 15).

i emailed the artist who hand-painted the handbags and asked him if i could send him a wallet to do for me as well - just got a reply, $25 postage included!

ok, I'm swearing off bad jokes for a while.

on topic: skinner's art looks familiar. is he well known?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back