Run With The Hunted Mystery (To Me) (1 Viewer)

Is anyone familiar with the Harper Collins version of "Run With The Hunted?"

Not the massive release, with the gray cover, which i have, too.

But the one with black material cover.

It's got the initials, cb embossed (?) on the front cover "” (also embossed on the spine is the book title, charles bukowski). And comes in a clam shell 3/4 pull-out box. (Nice casing, photo.)

Claims there were 226 of these made, and only 200 for sale. (The letter versions distributed privately).

I checked out Chronic's site, and maybe missed the listing there.

I was digging through a box and pulled it out. It seems pretty cool.

Any insight? It looks unique for a major publisher like H/C.

Thanks.

Pax

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have a copy of the limited edition but I think it was in a slipcase rather than a clamshell box, and yes, there were 200 numbered and signed copies issued plus a lettered edition. BSP also issued a signed and numbered/lettered edition of the same book using the Harper Collins sheets but their own cover artwork. I don't have the Harper Collins ltd. edition on the site simply because I haven't come across a good photo or scan of it.

I don't have the Harper Collins ltd. edition on the site simply because I haven't come across a good photo or scan of it.
You do now. Will email some shots to you in the coming days.

It's pretty dang cool "” but different than BSP. Do you know anything about the value? I have, I believe, one that is 1/9 "” not part of the public mix. Hence, my curiosity.

(And my bad on the clam shell/slip case definition. It's the only Buk I own with one, save for the Clam Shell purchased from Bill.)

Pax

Krumhansl doesn't mention an issue limited to 9 copies. What gives you that idea? Is it marked X/9? Are there any other notations that might give a clue?

Not sure about the going price on this one, though I seem to remember seeing it sell on ebay occasionally for around $250-350. Someone else may have a better idea of this though since my memory is like a sieve these days. If it is 1 of only 9 copies it would be worth more, obviously.

Looking forward to the photos. Thanks.

Homeless

It's a nice edition. The HP limited edition of 200 goes for around $250.

Although, like Chroinic, I've never heard of this smaller edition of your's.

Please tell more ...

Krumhansl doesn't mention an issue limited to 9 copies. What gives you that idea? Is it marked X/9? Are there any other notations that might give a clue?

Yes, there is a notation. It is marked "one-of-nine out of series."

I realize that it is an overrun, and not one of the 226.

But she's a beauty, mint...and signed.

picture.php

I believe that this is the same as a presentation copy. I have always believed that Presentation copies were actually overrun copies, when the spines matched the trade, numbered or lettered copies. It makes sens that a publisher would always have extra copies printed to allow for damages, errors, etc. It is VERY costly to have to reprint one copy of a book. So, assume that if there were 200 numbered copies called for, then maybe 220 were produced. Some were defective and were desposed of. What was left would have been marked "Presentation Copy" or "out of Series". for that mater, they could be marked "Publishers Copy" or "Authors Copy".

In my mind, a true presentation copy would be personally inscribed to the recipient as a presentation.

Anyone agree or disagree?

I know that this is how I do it when doing books...

Bill

Thanks, Bill (and Chronic for the PM info "” more photos heading your way over the weekend, I'll try).

To Chronic's previous point, the sheets (paper stock) do look a bit fancy for H/C. Real good quality, IMO. So it makes sense they would be part of a BSP limited edition.

And Bill, what you state makes total sense. This bad boy would be expensive as hell to repro, including the slip-case.

I'd be curious to hear other opinions, as per Bill's post.

And curious if anyone else here has a numbered, lettered, or OOS copy? My assumption is that the H/C version of the letter and number is the same black material on the cover (nice). It's well done, like a steak.

Although, like Chroinic...
I'm getting concerned. Have to watch my words. Is "C" being altered, and mechanical parts being put inside that makes him superior to us? Is he like the 6 Million Dollar Man?

Bionic = Chroinic?

Things are starting to get clearer now...one may call it, "visibility."

I sensed a strength in his language, tone, over the last month or so. Couldn't put my finger on it. Thank the man above. It may have (finger of thought) been snapped off with an adjective!

(Note: or is it cryogenics I'm getting confused with? Where the hell is my dictionary, thesaurus!?!)

Bad humor aside, does anyone have this? More insight? I'm sure I am not the only one here reading to have a copy of the "Black Material" version, 200/226 + 9 of this...????

While it may not be the rarest in the world, it is pretty cool.

Insight appreciated from BUKnet.

Pax

... In my mind, a true presentation copy would be personally inscribed to the recipient as a presentation.

Anyone agree or disagree?

I know that this is how I do it when doing books...
I agree. It's not really a presentation copy (even if marked such) unless it's presented to someone, in official bookselling jargon.

I'm just guessing on that, but I like sounding like an expert when I'm not...

This is a pretty good example of why I found BSP's practice of making 20 versions of each book (so 19 could be sold at higher prices) cynical. To me, real first editions or genuine variants are interesting, but a BSP unsigned lettered or numbered copy - what are those? The same book with a letter or a number written in it. So what?

I don't think it's odd to collect those, but it was cynical to make them. Like having one kitchen that services two restaurants. On one side you're selling hamburgers for $5, but on the other you are selling the same hamburger for $25. The only difference is the sign over one of the doors says, "GOURMET HAMBURGERS," and the plates are fancy.

Of course if you put a painting in a book, that's a different story. That's a genuine gourmet hamburger.

Does any of that make sense? I just woke up...

Yes, it does make sense.

Here's my interpretation...right or wrong. And how I view my books.

I'll eat (read) the $5 hamburger; but put in the freezer (collect) the $25 one.

While I realize they may be the same thing, the only difference being a number, letter or spine texture/color, etc. "” that was probably John Martin's genius. And helped make BUK a bunch of dough. And makes all of us lunatic collectors here want what we don't have "” even though we probably have it in some other form.

Now I've lost myself in the words; does that make sense? ;)

Still would like to know if anyone else here has a "black material" copy of RWTH?

Pax

I can see paying more for a signed numbered/lettered copy, but an unsigned numbered/lettered edition makes no sense to me. It's just subdividing the regular edition into arbitrarily special and non-special copies.

You're absolutely right, Mjp and David! If a copy is unsigned, the number inside does'nt make any sense, if that's the only difference from a regular copy.

I can see paying more for a signed numbered/lettered copy, but an unsigned numbered/lettered edition makes no sense to me. It's just subdividing the regular edition into arbitrarily special and non-special copies.

Agreed. And I don't believe I've ever seen a lettered (or numbered) BSP book that wasn't signed.

But obviously, they exist.

What titles? Posthumous releases?

As far as collecting those; not really interested, unless it's extremely rare. Or, if there is a painting, sure, that changes the ball game.

Pax

(1.PBBUK, do you have any of these BSP books?)
(2.Does anyone have the "Black Material" HC RWTH?)

Betting on the Muse was the last "signed" book, so any numbered or lettered books after that are unsigned. They were usually made "special" by the inclusion of a serigraph (screen) print.

The list at chronic's site breaks down the different versions of each book.

I put signed in quotes because everything after The Last Night Of The Earth Poems was not colophon signed, but rather signed blank pages that were collated into whichever book needed signatures. I realize that's splitting hairs, since they were all signed on loose pages rather than finished books, but the colophon signatures were signed for that specific book only. The blank pages were just a thousand or so blank sheets that they got him to sign while he still could. Sort of. Some of those late signatures are a little shaky.

Your post is really fascinating to read.

That, coming from a long-time collector "” continuing to learn.

Much of my collection has focused on earlier works.

I'm gonna have to check my stock to see what I own; I've been bouncing all over chronic's site relative to the info you provided. And I do own works with serigraphs, so...I guess I do own pieces you mentioned in your prior post.

Thanks for the insight.

OK, this is getting interesting.

Because of what mjp wrote, I took out a few of my later (earlier?) books to view.

One was, Septuagenarian Stew.

It states that each one has an original silk screen by Sir Charles. My harcover copy is letter, "N."

As I have personally never seen another copy of this book (other than first edition soft-cover I read, and the photos on chronic's site), I have some Qs.

1. Is the "original" silk screen one-of-a-kind, or the same signed print in all letter additions?

2. Why silk screens "” because of his age? To mass produce? The print/art is dynamite, way cool.

3. Where is the original art? Who owns it? BSP? Mrs. Bukowski?

Thanks to any and all who can help with answers...

Pax

In answer to your second question, I believe that War All The Time was the last book that came with an original painting because Bukowski didn't like doing the artwork for the books because it became an assembly line project, instead of art.

I'll take any corrections if I'm wrong...

Thanks, LTS.

As Krumhansl records:

"48 signed copies each with an original signed silkscreen print by Bukowski tipped in were published 10 May 1990: 26 copies lettered A-Z plus 22 copies, 14 marked "Presentation Copy" and 1 each marked "Author's Copy," "Publisher's Copy," "Editor's Copy," "Printer's Copy," "Photographer's Copy," "Binder's Copy," "Ron's Copy," and "File Copy."

So, were the signed silk screen prints just one run, or multiples? My guess is one run, then signed. And who owns the original art? It's a beauty...

Pax

homeless mind said:
1. Is the "original" silk screen one-of-a-kind, or the same signed print in all letter additions?

It's the same in all the lettered editions. For some books, there is a regular signed/numbered edition, a signed/numbered/silkscreen edition, and a signed/lettered/silkscreen edition. But the silkscreen is the same in all editions of that book. Also, I believe some of the earlier silkscreens still had an actual signature, but the later ones did not.

homeless mind said:
2. Why silk screens "” because of his age? To mass produce? The print/art is dynamite, way cool.
What LTS said.

homeless mind said:
3. Where is the original art? Who owns it? BSP? Mrs. Bukowski?
Hard to tell. JM probably used to have all of them, but he's let go of most of his collection, from what I've heard.

And curious if anyone else here has a numbered, lettered, or OOS copy? My assumption is that the H/C version of the letter and number is the same black material on the cover (nice). It's well done, like a steak.
I have a copy of the Harper Collins "RUN WITH..." signed slipcase book. Interesting that yours seems to be an overrun copy - would that mean the total # of copies is actually 235...hmm.

Here are pics of mine :

l_38d4438dc7584edc9df3c750c630c414.png

l_545bb435d7e84670b49d19849942324b.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back