scarlet - coming May 2010 (1 Viewer)

Bill, a very gracious offer by you. How does this work if I already told Al I pass because he doesn't take Paypal? I can email him again, but perhaps he's already promised the hardcover I would have gotten to someone else. I'll write him, and if it's still available, Paypal you. Much Thanks.

still no email.

it's because I'm man-pretty. I'm used to it.

or Canadian. universally they're the same.

Bill, a very gracious offer by you. How does this work if I already told Al I pass because he doesn't take Paypal? I can email him again, but perhaps he's already promised the hardcover I would have gotten to someone else. I'll write him, and if it's still available, Paypal you. Much Thanks.

The copy Al had reserved for me was still available, and I shot Bill a Paypal. So I'm one of the lucky ones getting a hardcover. Can't wait to see it/read it.

Just finished it! Wow, what a book. To think, it all started at Barney's Beanary! I can't count how many great and terrible nights I've spent there! Last year I even proposed there on the balcony overlooking Santa Monica Blvd, though drunk, I would have done it, had she said yes!

Can't agree more with the acknowledgement to mjp and roni! Cheers to you both for keeping the spirit of buk alive, every day 24/7!!!

My wife met Tom Waits at Barney's Beanery, years ago. He signed a napkin for her, shakey hand, possibly hungover. This was maybe late 70s/early 80s. Can't recall if I was ever there, although I seem to have a mental image of the interior so maybe I was.

yeah, the interior is pretty hard to forget, especially all the tables with pictures pasted on them. Usually anytime I'm there, someone half famous, or famous is there. I was wearing a bukowski shirt(ebay bought I admit) one time and Taylor Hawkins??(had to check wiki for correct spelling, drummer from foo fighters) thought it was a really cool shirt. Or at least he spent a few drunken minutes telling me that.

My whining like a bitch boy to Al Berlinski paid off and I was able to grab one of the limited editions - arrived today. Beautiful work, Mr. Roberts.

Finished the book a few days ago. Nice reading for sure. A book to recommend for those who have never heard of the "vulnerable" Bukowski.

I enjoyed the bits about Jane -wish it had been longer- and Catullus. And the Jack Nitzsche and Neil Young connection, of course.

I finished it last night and it was well written and easy to read. There are some writers that I find to be unreadable. Pamela Wood wrote a nice account of what was fictionalized in Women in a very readable style. Once I got past the first 5 or 10 chapters I couldn't put the book down. I want to read Women over again just to remind myself of what Bukowski's account was.
She had much good to say about a few people at Bukowski.net and that was nice to see. She even gave a bit of credit to people who helped her write her story.

Finished it today. What a great and interesting and funny reading! And very well written too.

For example the "Sigh"-chapter. Very witty and insightful and good.

Also for the first time this dawned on me:

"It was also around this time that he told me that he had received a letter from [Henry] Millers son. He praised Bukowski as a great writer - almost as good as his old man. I never saw the letter, but I would read his account of it in a book of his published letters, Living on Luck. In it there is corresponcence to associates where he refers at least twice to this letter. Both times he tells the respective recipients that Miller's son "Larry" wrote the letter. What's odd about this is that my brother's name was Larry Miller, and my father was also a writer. Henry has only one son that I'm aware of and his name is Tony or Anthony. I now wonder if that letter he was so proud of was actually from my brother".

(p. 100)

It's true, isn't it? Henry Miller never had a son named "Larry". He only had one son and two daughters, and the son was called "Anthony".

???. How in the hell could that happen?

Ha, I wonder? Here's the bit in Living on Luck (p214):

[To Carl Weissner]
February 13, 1976
[...] In fact, today I got a letter with return address of Henry Miller, Pacific Palisades, and I thought, my my, is the old man bending to write me? But when I opened it up it was from his son, one Larry Miller. Ah well. He praised Factotum, part of which goes:
"...I guess I just wanted to say thank you for being the first writer since reading my father that has made me feel that all is not lost in literature today; especially a sense of reality that seems to have escaped nearly everyone else..."

Oh, Cupcakes...she's got it. Miss Pussycat of 1973, she's 23, brains, body,
spirit...Flaming red hair, long...she's in front of my bedroom mirror now
combing that flame as I type this to you. she'll be the death of me, but it's worth
it, pal. [***]

And 3 years later... (p258)

[To Louise Webb]
January 2, 1979

[...] I guess you know old Henry Miller is still alive? His son wrote me a while (Larry) and told me that I was the world's greatest writer. I told him to look over his shoulder and he'd find him. (He lives with Henry.) [...]

Last edited by a moderator:
He says the return address was "Henry Miller, Pacific Palisades" which was where HM lived around that time, so I'm guessing the letter was probably from the famous Miller's son, and Buk just has the sons' first names mixed up. But I haven't gotten that far in Pamela's book yet, so I may need to eat those words later.

Scarlet is well written and Pamela Woods makes it quite clear that her brother was an annoying pain who had Bukowski's attention for most of the time she was with Bukowski. ( Bukowski only put up with him because of his hot little sister.) Therefore it easy to assume Bukowski had Larry Miller stuck in his head even though he may very well have meant Tony or Anthony. Unless someone coughs up the letters form the son of a writer named Miller we may never know for sure. I sure hope the letter didn't end up in the big dumpster.

Ah, the dumpster -- the Larry/Tony Miller letter would have gone in the dumpster for sure. A letter from the son of a famous writer would not be considered worth keeping in most cases.

finally bought this and read it today. great read. insightful and sensitive, and helps a bit filling in some blanks and demythologizing.

I had always assumed Linda King cracked the window of the Volks. ha! give the windscreen hell, Pam.

the last chapter actually had me choked up. but I'm a softie, so....

anyway, highly recommended. one of the better, if not best, insider accounts on Bukowski.

finished it last night...wow! what a great little book....clearly, much research and fact-checking and hard work was put into it. every anecdote and story seemed to sync 100% with what was previously written by buk (women, etc). highly recommend, just like everyone else who read it...

I just read it now in Sept 2014 and it really is a great book. It reads so easily. I mean the flow of the words. There are no clunky sentences to be found. It was also revealing on many levels. She has an amazing memory. At one point she mentions her journal so having that must have helped with her being able to remember things with such clarity.

Here is a weird bit of info. It said on the advertising that it was signed by the author Bukoswki. I knew that was a mistake. They must have meant Cupcakes. When I got the book it is signed by M. Bukowski. It took my brain a second to realize it's Marina. Does anybody know if Marina signed any of these books? I have a paper back edition, obviously. There 3 little dots in a triangle after her name. Is that one of her trademarks.

Any Help?

She has an amazing memory. At one point she mentions her journal so having that must have helped with her being able to remember things with such clarity.
Even with the help of her own notes I doubt she was able to remember it all and in detail. I reckon she had to use some imagination here and there, if only to fill the gaps.
Just try writing about something that happened to you more than thirty years ago... Christ, I don't remember what I did (said/felt/thought) a week ago (but I guess that's only me)!
Yes, very odd. Why would Marina sign Cupcakes´ book?
Because anyone can. We learned here that Linda King signed Pamela's book too.
I signed (my copy of) Scarlet too.

Last edited:
In all the years collecting Bukowski, I have never seen anything signed by Marina.

Also, I believe she goes by her hyphenated name, not Marina Bukowski.

Bill

Very odd indeed, can't really see Marina doing that...thought Linda King had cornered the sign other people's work market.

Cupcakes book is a good read though. Does seem to sync up with Women quite well and nice to have a fresh perspective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back