Searching for a poetry anthology book from the 80s (1 Viewer)

Bukowski is one of the authors I distinctly remember in the book (it was my introduction to him and to contemporary poetry in general, and was it ever a game-changer). The book was a paperback Anthology of American Poets, published sometime in the early/mid 1980s.
3:16 and one half was one of Bukowski's poems in the book, but he had at least one more.
The book was broken down by region where the poets lived (north, south, midwest, etc.).
I've been trying to track down a copy of this book for some years now -- any help anyone would have would be most appreciated!

A search of the database reveals this:

https://web.archive.org/web/2020/https://bukowski.net/database/detail.php?WorkNumber=170

No record of anthology appearances. But it is well known that mjp is a slacker who puts no effort into the database, so it's entirely possible that this poem was on the cover of Newsweek and Time the same week as it was read by Richard Nixon while Grace Slick was denied access to the White House despite having an engraved invitation.

Dang! Not the Abe Book anthology (thanks for trying, gbsupbowl...) and if there isn't a record of it appearing that would explain why I haven't been able to track the book down that way.

Mr. Green Bay (hasn't won a super bowl for a while) may be on to somthin'.

It has been a few seasons now, but thats ok. As for that anthology, just dug it out of a box and the Bukowski poems are "If We Take" and "Hogs In The Sky"

No record of anthology appearances. But it is well known that mjp is a slacker who puts no effort into the database...
While that is sadly true, anthologies are generally left out of the database on purpose.

I'm not sure why, exactly, but I suppose a line had to be drawn somewhere at some time or something.

I think what you're looking for is A Geography of Poets, An Anthology of the New Poetry edited by Edward Field. Bantam paperback, 1979.

The Bukowski poems are: hell hath no fury, letters, eddie and eve, and 3:16 and one half.

Also includes poems by Linda King, David Barker, Gerald Locklin, Ronald Koertge and others.

That was my guess -- A Geography of Poets. It's organized by region. The editor put me in the wrong region, but what the hell. I didn't make it into the new edition that came out years later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back