SNOW (1 Viewer)

I think that I saw Sarah Palin in a helicopter buzzing around Dover shooting at dogs and cats in people's back yards.

She does love killing trapped animals.

Don't cha know?

wink...

Bill

Bill, we're having a snowpocalypse here in West Virginia, too. I shoveled my way through 14 inches last weekend. We're supposed to get 4 to 6 more tonight of the fluffy stuff.

I drove my way through a couple inches of fluff today. Got stuck a couple of times cause I couldn't get any traction. I barely made it back home from my trip downtown. Plus we still have most of the snow from the previous weekend.

We had a cold snap over here recently and a guy on TV was saying 'everyone likes the snow'. I thought to myself: unless you're homeless.
And I must admit, I was disappointed that this thread wasn't about the Canadian rapper.

Funny, at first I thought it was about Darrin also. Most people forget about those that are on the street. Here in Southern California we don't have the problem of people freezing to death but in Chicago, NY, etc about 20 to 40 homeless people freeze to death every year. Most of the time the don't even get only line in the paper. I believe that when the cops find them they are referred to the body as a popsicle. Most of the time it is their fault in that they are usually drunk or stoned, fall down, fall sleep, etc. There are many places they can go to stay warm if they want, but many suffer from paranoid thoughts and don't want to be around other people.

I have never liked the snow. In my younger years I skied, etc. But now I appreciate warm weather.

Finished WWZ?

Here in Chicago, NOBODY in the employment of the city - administration, police, public transit - forgets about the homeless during severe weather. You can't turn on your radio or TV without regular reminders about shelter locations and phone numbers to call for help. The city PR Dept. does a good job on that. CTA workers routinely ignore "the vagrants" who "loiter" in train and bus stations just to keep warm. Area church members also cruise around in vans stocked with hot coffee and blankets to help those who refuse a ride to the shelters. Sadly, some of these people think they can tough it out. Some of them are afraid to have their stuff stolen as they sleep in a shelter. And some of them are mentally ill and paranoid about everything in general.

Cops have the "blackest" sense of humor you can imagine and its a coping mechanism in response to the tragedy they see every day on the job.

Pittsburgh seems to be keeping quiet about the homeless, actually they usually do. A man and his 19 year old daughter died several days ago; he hooked up a power generator inside of their home. I don't know why he would do such a thing.
The authorities / news are asking everyone to please check on their elderly neighbors and family members. Many people are still without power. It's a mess to say the least.

Pittsburgh seems to be keeping quiet about the homeless, actually they usually do. A man and his 19 year old daughter died several days ago; he hooked up a power generator inside of their home. I don't know why he would do such a thing.

Heard about that on the news down here in Morgantown. They interviewed a salesman at the local Lowe's (and the Fire Chief) about installing generators.

I agree: snowpocalypse > snowmageddon

I was thinking about this in terms of movie quotes.

Snowpocalypse:
"I love the smell of salt trucks in the morning, smells like... victory."
"The horror, the horror."

Snowmageddon:
"What are you doin' with a snowball in space?"
"...we got two hundred and fifty feet to go.."
(I had to watch the trailer for that one:))

Snowpocalypse was a much better film. LOL:)

We had a cold snap over here recently and a guy on TV was saying 'everyone likes the snow'. I thought to myself: unless you're homeless.

It was like 40 degrees here, or something like that a few nights ago, and as I walked out of work I thought...damn, how do all the homeless people deal with a night like tonight? I guess maybe there are not as many homeless people in Delaware, as there are here, but in any event I can't imagine how they make it through the coldest nights of winter.

I guess maybe there are not as many homeless people in Delaware, as there are here, but in any event I can't imagine how they make it through the coldest nights of winter.

We went to McDonalds tonight for dinner. There was a homeless guy there eating. He had shovels there with him, so I guess he has been cleaning out driveways to make money. The strangest thing is that he was carrying on a very loud, very detailed conversation with himself that lasted as long as we were there (at least 45 minutes). He was even using hand motions and was directing them to where he saw this "friend." I noticed that he bought a bunch of food and that it was in two bags, so I guess he placed an order for them both. He must have spent $20 on dinner. I have seen people on the streets of DC talking to themselves, but this was the first time I saw someone like this for such a long time. He was very clearly Schizophrenic. Very sad. He needed to be medicated and hospitalized. My guess is that he would not be one of those folks that would be willing to go to a shelter and in the state that he was in, most (if not all) shelters would not take him. The only option is the street, jail or a mental hospital.

It has been in the low 20s here every night and will be like that for at least the next couple weeks.

Bill

I always thought So Calif got the ultra whacked out loons because of our mild winters. That guy at McDonalds is probably a congressman and he was having a conversation with a CIA agent, a real good one.

Well, snowmageddons and snowlacosts do have some advantages, it seems:

SnowRefrigerator.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back