So what are they like? (1 Viewer)

Charlie

Founding member
I know at least two of you, Mjp and Cirieta (forgive my mispelling) have met Linda and Martin and a few other compatriots of the dirty old man. And, if she is telling the truth, Mystery Girl actually met and had some sort of relationship with the great man himself.

So, what are they like? How do they speak? What do they drink? Etc. etc?

We see Linda a lot because we live in San Pedro. So we see her at the grocery store or post office or just meandering down the street. San Pedro is kind of a small town, so you see a lot of the same people all the time. We spoke to her a bit at first, but now when I see her at the grocery store I just nod and smile and keep walking, leave her to her privacy. For the same reason, I never sought out Bukowski when he was alive. He made it obvious in his writing that he wasn't interested in that. And meeting people who I admire for one reason or another doesn't interest me. I assume I would be let down in one way or another, and really, how could you not be?

Michael Montfort I did have a long conversation with, and he was a nice guy. I typed in some other entry here about his opinion of Linda. Apparently they didn't see eye to eye. He asked for my address and a couple of weeks after we'd met he sent me a photo that he'd taken of Bukowski in Germany.

I've only had email correspondence with Martin, and I have to say he wasn't exactly a prince of a fellow. Long story. Funny though, many, many years earlier I wrote him a fan letter of sorts, saying that I appreciated the letterpressed covers of the BS books, asking about who designed and printed them, etc. I got a nice response when I kissed his ass, but things are not so good if you disagree with him about something. That's just my limited experience. Maybe he is a prince of a guy. What do I know.

it's impossible to describe that in a few words. I would need ANOTHER dissertation for that! The greatest thing is that I have them on tape and, luckily, I shot them using a mini-DV, meaning it was a digital recording -not analog- and the visual quality -even in amauterish terms- is far superior to The Bukowski Tapes, etc. I mean, you can sit back and watch them talk without getting half blind and deaf! A pity I can't upload some clips. They are really HEAVY.

as to Martin, I only have kind words for him. He agreed to the interview and the digital recording, he gave me an original 3 page long Bukowski manuscript -without my asking-, he gave me a few e-mail addresses to contact some people, he answered all my emails promptly and sincerely, etc. good guy, I should say.
of course, he was protective and, for a lot of people, irrationally so when protecting the Bukowski legacy. Bukowski got angry a few times for this. I read a few unpublished letters where he tells Martin to stop bulshitting him. Cooney didn't publish those letters for obvious reasons -Martin and him are good friends- and Cooney told me so in a few emails. Cooney was also a very nice person and provided me with a lot of info on B.
I have so many stories I could spend the whole day writing them in this forum!

The greatest thing is that I have them on tape and, luckily, I shot them using a mini-DV, meaning it was a digital recording -not analog- and the visual quality -even in amauterish terms- is far superior to The Bukowski Tapes, etc. I mean, you can sit back and watch them talk without getting half blind and deaf! A pity I can't upload some clips.

I have so many stories I could spend the whole day writing them in this forum!
Did you ever end up sharing the digital recordings? I'd love to see!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back