someone recommend something new? (1 Viewer)

hey (and hello),

can someone recommend any good books? if you're into buk, i probably trust your judgment :D ). anyway, i don't need anything fancy-- i was big into crichton for a while, got into bukowski a lot, and need something new.

i read h. thompsons (fear and loathing) gonzo style, but didn't like it much. i looked at kerouc and his counter, but it seemed the same. any good beats? or anyone? i'd appreciate it a lot. i'm waiting for the last buk book i haven't read, women, from the library, and am reading post office again right now.

anyway, thanks,

and cheers.

Hope this is not a problem, but here's a small sample from "The Rainbow Stories" (grabbed from amazon.com).

german sanchez espeso is really cool

they compare him to hunter s thompson but i dont think thats true.
get "new york shitty" thats the original spanish title.

enjoy, number5

right now I'm re-reading Celine's
"JOURNEY TO THE End OF THE NIGHT"

read it if you havent

or

murakami (sp), kafka on the shore or The wind up bird chronicle

if you like Crichton you might like James Ellroy, LA Confidential's pretty good - hard work but very intelligent writing and complex plot lines.

also, i was recommended Dan Fante by this forum, and i loved his novel "Spitting off Tall Buildings".

"Jesus' Son" by Denis Johnson is kinda like Factotum.

Sexus (vol.1), Plexus (vol.2), Nexus (vol.3.)"”The Rosy Crucifixion, by Henry Miller.

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking of Henry Miller, there's a small Miller book about Miller having a french visitor in his home at Big Sur. The visitor turns out to be a pest, laying all kind of demands on Miller. Does anybody recall the title?

Hey Bukfan,

The title that comes to mind is Big Sur and the Oranges of Hieronymus Bosch. If I recall myself, a character by the name of Conrad Moricand interrupts the serenity of Miller's home.

Hope to be of use,
emku

That must be it.Thanks! - I read it many years ago. A very funny book. I remember the visitor would only use a certain brand of stationary, wanted special medicine for his ailments etc.etc. Miller is driven out of his mind by this visiting pest. I've wanted to re-read it many times but couldn't remember the title. Thanks again!...

the only Henry Miller I liked was The Smile At The Foot Of The Ladder.

I also have Sexus and Stand Still Like The Hummingbird. Stand Still is quite hard to read though.

Anybody read The Air-Conditioned Nightmare?

I know this isnt a Henry Miller thread but since you guys brought it up...

I read "nightmare" a number of years ago, it was written in the 30's I think, (40's?) after Miller returned to the US after spending years in France (?) as I remember it was more of a straight forward commentary on america than other books by Miller, not as much mystical B.S. I remember thinking at the time that it could have been written now, as much of it discribed the sad affairs of our sick american culture,.....damn, now I'm gonna have to dig thru my piles and read it again.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and recommend "Never Eat Anything Bigger Than Your Head" by B. Kliban...I'm attaching sample...this guy could be the Buk of cartoonists... pay no attention to his very popular cats and stick with the hardcore bullshit :D

Kliban.jpg

BD

you're not going to believe this, but I looked in a box of things that i got from ecco and sure enough, there was a copy of Vollmann's Rising Up and Rising Down.

I started it last nite. It took him 23 years to write it so it may take me a while to read it. HA.

Good for you. You're lucky to have it. Is it the 6 vol. set?

I've only gotten through a couple of the volumes. I haven't exactly given up on reading it per se, but it has settled into my reading life as something more akin to reference material than anything else. I imagine that Vollmann wouldn't be too dissapointed about this.

By the way, there were only 4000 of those printed in 1st edition.

Be prepared to not be too impressed with the writing. Vollmann sets out to look objectively at violence, his "moral calculus," as he calls it. This is not the novelist of the streets that Vollmann fans like myself started with. This is a humble genius who swallows the whole world of shit and decides to not vomit it up, but keep it inside, in the front of his head, away from his dreams and his heart. I sometimes wonder what part of himself he must have sacrificed in order to stare with such unjudgmental eyes at such horror.

A few will learn much from this guy. But its never the few we have to worry about. If only the media or our leaders could take on a fraction of this type of thinking...if only, huh...

Stick with the original poster's recomendation (was it chronic ?). Rainbow stories is a great place to start.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back