suddenly i am so popular..maybe i should run for city council (1 Viewer)

seeing mickey rourke at the oscars last night i recalled a line from, 'barfly.' a year ago, rourke could not pay someone to take his photo, unless it was in a police lineup...but last night he was the toast of the town after his part in 'the wrestler.'
i am sure you all remember the line in 'barfly,' when he entered one of his favourite watering hole to cheers from the other barflies. he said, 'ohhh, suddenly i am so popular, maybe i should run for city council.'
i read somewhere that bukowski wanted sean penn to play the part, but i thought rourke was great as chinaski. a bit ironic too that last night penn stole the statue.
buk babe

oui oui! mickey was a great hank. that signed-by-all first is one of my faves. i remember when i saw that movie in the theatre, i was the only one clapping when bukowski made his short cameo appearance. everyone around me thought i was nuts.

absolutely...sean penn was magnanimous in his acceptance speech last night... and he was excellent in MILK. i guess i was just pulling for mickey because he is really, really doing his best to imitate the phoenix and get back in the game.

academy2.jpg

i read somewhere that bukowski wanted sean penn to play the part, but i thought rourke was great as chinaski. a bit ironic too that last night penn stole the statue.
It is not what Howard Sounes says in his biography (I know, I know, bospress.net ;) ). I read that while Barbet Schroeder was finding money for his film project, Sean Penn proposed Buk to play Chinaski for free on condition that he would be directed by Denis Hopper. Buk refused. This episode happened before they both became friends.

I like Mickey Rourke and would have perhaps watched The wrestler if it had not focused on catch...yuck.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that it would not have mattered if Sean Penn and Buk were friends at the time. Penn was a fan and wanted to play Buk, but cutting Barbet out of a movie that he nearly literally bled for would have been a bad idea. If not for Barbet's drive, this movie would not have been made. Remember, it was Barbet that threatened to start cutting off his fingers if the producers stopped the movie....

Also, I thing that Sean Penn is a great actor, but not sure that he'd be a good choice for Chinaski.

Bill

what is catch?
The name of the " sport " Rourke practises in the film. Isn't it the right word ? In French, we say catch and as this word has an anglo-saxon consonance, I tend to think that we have taken it from English. Am I wrong ?

He's really become deformed , he reminds me of Iron Maiden's drummer Nicko McBrain. What a waste.

I think that it would not have mattered if Sean Penn and Buk were friends at the time. Penn was a fan and wanted to play Buk, but cutting Barbet out of a movie that he nearly literally bled for would have been a bad idea. If not for Barbet's drive, this movie would not have been made. Remember, it was Barbet that threatened to start cutting off his fingers if the producers stopped the movie....

Also, I thing that Sean Penn is a great actor, but not sure that he'd be a good choice for Chinaski.
I agree on all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back