Surprised there aren't more little Bukowski's (1 Viewer)

For all the women he had later in life, I'm surprised he only had the one daughter. Have there been claims that he had other illegitimate kids? He wrote in 'Women' his hatred for condoms.

As far as I know, there have never been any claims of that kind. I think that Marina is his only child...

Didn't Linda King suffer a miscarriage too? I think I remember reading somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
when i first read the title of this post, my first thought wasn't of offspring... but that there are plenty of little bukowskis running around...oh, the anxiety of influence...ever wondered why germany of the 19th century created the literary-type philosopher...schopenhauer, nietzsche...goethe, goethe had made it in all the literary forms...there was nowhere else left for them to go, express their muse...or so i've read, and so i equate the influence of b...on his "followers"...

well,well,well...seeing as how not very many of us I imagine ever actually knew the man personnally, I would like to propose a couple of possible reasons for the lack of "little Bukowskis"...First off, he was a somewhat degenerate-although highly intelligent-dirty, crass and often lonely person;so I imagine that it is entirely possible that he really didn't have as many women as he said he did...as a writer myself I can tell you that even when we say that we're telling the truth, you can't always believe us...we're liars...it's what we do....now it is also possible and even more probable that the one daughter that he did officially produce was one in a million-consider the amount of alcohol he was reputed to take in and his general state and unhealthy/un-hygenic lifestyle for much of his adult life...he must have been nearly sterile and practically incapable of fathering a child...also consider the type of women he may have had many of his encounters with-alcoholics,loose women;possibly having had many abortions...this couple with the booze and drugs would make an instant desert of a womb...sorry all you partyers, but abusing your bodies really can mean that you'll never have children...c'est la vie mes cheres...

Peace Love and all that jazz,

I

welcome, idaco.
I dunno, I've known some pretty repulsive human beings in my time. ones that can barely blink after a night of drinking, let alone load the musket and fire it off into the brush. and they've managed to slip a few past the goalie.
I'm not saying that buk was repulsive. he was charming and funny and a larger than life force to be reckoned with when he wanted to be. tho he wasn't exactly erroll flynn pretty. or (one of the actors he compared himself, albeit flippantly) bogart.
christ, almost everyone wants to be bogart. raise your hand if you want to be bogart.
alright, welcome.

Batten down the hatches...

He may have indeed had a number illegitimate children: I'm seeing more and more suspiciously odd, twenty-something year olds roaming the bars and race tracks with scruffy beards, beer-bottles and tattered copies of Céline... and these are just the women. Suspicious indeed. Pass the bottle...

He may have indeed had a number illegitimate children: I'm seeing more and more suspiciously odd, twenty-something year olds roaming the bars and race tracks with scruffy beards, beer-bottles and tattered copies of Céline... and these are just the women. Suspicious indeed. Pass the bottle...

wow, that's pretty funny.

With the amount he drank I'm surprised he had any children.

On this board there was a lady who was in the book Women and she contradicted their affair with him basically having trouble performing.

I want to disagree with part of idaco's post, equating unhealthy with unhygenic. Apparently Buk was pretty consistent in his hygenic routines - daily shower, freshly laundered clothing, and neatly trimmed nails. He couldn't stand to have un-trimmed nails. I recall Linda saying these things, either in "Born Into This", or in another interview somewhere.

I guess there are drunks and then there are drunken slobs !

All the shirts he wore in The Bukowski Tapes looked fairly clean and unwrinkled. I wouldn't say he looked GREAT, but based on what I've seen he doesn't appear unclean for at least the last thirty years of his life.

I've never heard that living and drinking in an unhealthy way could make you nearly sterile as idaco says...

my ex was a raging alcoholic who also smoked like a chimney and abused A-class drugs for years. his doctor told him he was practically sterile as a result. he cheated on me with his ex - if you believe his story, "it was just the one time" - and got her pregnant.

moral of the story: it only takes ONE little bastard to fertilise an egg...;)

You mean one little bastard and his sperm.

BTW, I like your new Ryden avatar... it was one of the best paintings in the "Blood" show. I went to the show thinking about buying a drawing, only to find out that while they had been around $2-3,000 in his previous show, they had jumped to $10-15,000 by the time of the Blood exhibit. He has a new show opening here in L.A. in about 2 weeks. Just got my invite today.

Ugh, Ryden. I hate those fucking encephalitis paintings. He's very skilled. Too bad his paintings are shit.

Um, I mean - I really don't care for them! Forget that first part. ;)

Maybe it isn't even him that rubs me the wrong way, but the million other vacant, uninspired followers who paint the exact same thing. They are everywhere. Ugh, again.

I blame Margaret Keane!

I like Ryden. His paintings are kitschy cute and unsettling at the same time. When my oldest son was 2 years old I bought him two giclees: "Jajo, Patron Saint of Clowns" and "The Meat Magi" (this is back when you could buy the prints on his website for $200 instead of the ridiculous prices they ask now) and they're still hanging in his room. If he likes them then they must be good.

I completely agree with you about the glut of Ryden imitators, most of whom have no style of their own and very little talent, and yes, Margaret Keane is to blame.

When my oldest son was 2 years old I bought him two giclees: "Jajo, Patron Saint of Clowns" and "The Meat Magi" and they're still hanging in his room. If he likes them then they must be good.
Well, I can't argue with that. Kids are the best art critics. And some of the best artists too.

thank you Chronic ;)
i just discovered his stuff a few days ago, completely by accident. i was searching for aubrey beardsley images and hit on a myspace profile which also featured Ryden. i love his stuff! you're otm with your description: pretty and creepy at the same time - my favourite kind of art.

oops... should probably take this conversation somewhere else...:o

p.s. mjp, i checked out your website (the ink drawings on the really old books) awhile ago; really like what you're doing and very tempted to buy one but poor-student-lifestyle dictates severe limits on my spending.

p.s. mjp, i checked out your website (the ink drawings on the really old books) awhile ago; really like what you're doing and very tempted to buy one but poor-student-lifestyle dictates severe limits on my spending.
Well, thank you for the kind words, I appreciate that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back