Suspected Bukowski reference in crappy film (1 Viewer)

stuck in a plane for 12 hours I watched bit of a really awful Christmas movie starring Vince Vaughn (as Santa Claus' brother). In one scene he refers to his girlfriend by her full name, (something) Bukowski.

I thought hmm, I could see Vince Vaughn being a fan and making an intentional reference. Either way the man himself surely would have watched even less of the film than I did, really awful.

In a much earlier Vince Vaughn film, SWINGERS, there's a copy of a Bukowski book on a desk in a scene where Jon Favreau is calling a girl he met in a bar (or something like that ...it's been a while since I watched it). The book is Hollywood.

That kind of stuff doesn't necessarily mean the actors are Bukowski fans. There's a Bukowski book in a Demi Moore movie because I stuck it in there. ;) So it could be anyone, really. A book on a desk would likely be placed by a prop person, a line in an actor's mouth likely came from the writer(s).

What movie? Do you have a screen shot?

Still, there are some fans in Hollywood, as he keeps popping up in small ways. Bukowski was the name of one of the trucks in Disney's Cars. I have seen books pop up from time to time in movies. I forget which it was where a character goes to his friends bookcase, pulls a copy of War All the time off the shelf, sticks it under his arm and walks out. It is very clearly that book.

So, it may be a bunch of set/prop designers, but they are there and being very subversive!

Bill

1997 sounds about right. I kind of doubt they made more than one movie together. It was a short, I believe, maybe 45 minutes long? I only saw it once at a screening.

That's in agreement with what I read. Set in NYC, with a rather dark plot. Googling it indicates that it may have either been re-released or re-done somehow in 2005. Everything I know about it I just learned by googling, but it must be out there.

If any of you are willing to sit through 45 minutes of Bon Jovi just to see a Buk book on a table, then by all means; I'm sure it's out there somewhere. ;)

I could actually see Jon Bon Jovi being a fan. I mean, I can't stand the new stuff... but his demenour, however tainted, kind of is that sort of way...

Whose seen Showtime's show Californication? I think the main character of Hank (David Duchovny, who I think is a fan in real life...) is based off of Buk... and his ex-wife's favorite author, as mentioned in the show by her, is Charles Bukowski... and later in that episode, she's curled up on the couch reading Hot Water Music, I believe.

There is a whole thread about the obviousness of the Bukowski references in this. There were even some people who thought that we were crazy to think that Californication was Chinaski Hollywoodized (I know that is not a word).

Also, I heard that the Red Hot Chili Peppers were suing the show for stealing their name?

There are not that many celebrities that are out-of-the-closet Buk fans. One that I know of is John Larouquette.

Bill

There is a whole thread about the obviousness of the Bukowski references in this. There were even some people who thought that we were crazy to think that Californication was Chinaski Hollywoodized (I know that is not a word).
Well, it's like the number 23 conspiracy thing, if you look for something, you will find it. Though I still think Californication is based off Buk's life and times, and that Duchovny's character is based off Buk himself. If his wife in the show dies in the end, then we know for sure ;).

bospress.net said:
Also, I heard that the Red Hot Chili Peppers were suing the show for stealing their name?
They probably are. Is Tom Petty still suing them for their rip off Last Dance with Mary Jane for Dani California?

bospress.net said:
There are not that many celebrities that are out-of-the-closet Buk fans. One that I know of is John Larouquette.

Bill

And Carmen Diaz.

I wasn't a prop man, just a hanger-on. You know, one of those sycophants that buzz around celebrities like mosquitoes. A yes man, confidant, posse member. You know the deal. It makes them feel important, and I want everyone to feel important and special.

HEE HEE HEEEE!!!! Thank YoU! MJP, I feel so important. Cameron and the Polish Prince? Please...Take Me Home...
I am possibly missing and misspelling the joke, but......
Sycophants are Sycophants...:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back