tales of ordinary madness (1 Viewer)

Most people, certainly including Bukowski hated this movie. I thought that it was OK, I suppose. Not great, or even really too good, but watchable once anyway.

Bill

I saw this for the first time earlier this year. I really liked it. It was able to get to a lot of the much dirtier stuff, the short stories, which is my favourite stuff. "The Most Beautiful Woman In Town" is such a beautiful story. I think it was a beautiful film.

It disturbed my housemates - I'd left it lying around the house and that first scene put them off a little... What? Just because he kisses a 12 year old.

I am also glad I saw "Tales..." because it made me aware of Ferreri's "La Grande Bouffe" - what a magical film!

It's the first Buk movie from 1981, with Ben Gazzara as Charles Serking (buk). It's only available on VHS, I believe...

Last edited by a moderator:
Aha! I did'nt know that. Maybe I should order it. I have the VHS version but I prefer DVD.

(Speaking of DVD, I hope they'll re-issue Barfly on DVD)

oh yeah, i remember now. i kept thinking of crazy love. i could only find it in a different language on the net. maybe somebody has it with subtitles???

i don't have this dvd. but usually they have a menu where you can chose, which of the supported languages you want to see the movie with. quite simple.

but i dunno, if this dvd is RC2 (Region Code 2 = Europe / RC1 = USA). If so, not every software will be able to play it. vlc should be able though.

But have'nt they kept the original English sound, or have they syncronized it into German?

as i said, i don't own this particular dvd.
but the regular procedure here is, to have Both versions seperately accessible on the dvd:

you usually can watch it either with original english sound (plus optional [!] subtitles in german) or with the german synchonisation.

Right! Then it should be ok to buy this DVD.

(To be on the safe side, one could send a mail and ask for the DVD specifications)

Thanks, Roni...

Thanks, Roni...

you're welcome baby.
(of course, i plan to add this dvd to bukowski-shop, but don't have a clue, when this'll take place.)
so, better go for Zweitausendeins.

btw.:
does any one here know people who are in any way related to the cats that sell 'Born Into This', 'The Bukowski-Tapes' or 'Barfly'? All of which are needed for the shop. aid appreciated.

Well i just saw the film 'tales of ordinary madness', a french dvd version ,called 'contes de la folie ordinaire'.
I actually liked it a lot and thought that the characters were like I had imagined them, reading the books.
The funny thing is that it is now my favorite of all Buk films.
As a student, I lived in various rooms and had very ressembling neighbours.
Was the original film in english?

i rented this a few weeks ago and thought, ehh, it's actually not that bad! the music and him wearing those sunglasses definitely missed the mark though...

I've got to say... I guess I'm in the minority of people who enjoyed it. I've seen Barfly and Factotum and prefered it to both (Bukowski must be rolling over in his grave). It's not that I think it was more accurate since it's my contention that none of the Bukowski films were accurate on some level. Mickey Rourke got the charismatic drinker (at times) but overdid it a bit, Matt Dillon was too laid back, and underdid it so Ben Gazzara captured the naughty Bukowski and tried to play the poet via impromptu recitations of poems from memory and we all know Hank never recited poems from memory (not with all that good wine going down the hatch) though it did give the movie sort of an artsy feel albeit disingenuous.

I hope someone does Women and does it justice; there's a lot of potential there.

while I didn't like "Tales.." that much, I am a fan of Gazzara and am sad to hear of his passing. but 81 is a good run.

will have to watch one or two of his movies tonight.

Just watched this last night, it has been interesting watching Factotum, Barfly and Tales of Ordinary Madness within a week.

I dunno, I like Ben Gazzara but the way he played the character clashed with the looseness I see in Bukowski. He just seemed too rigid and self-controlled. Maybe that's just a preconception and says more about me than the movie. I kept thinking about Ben Gazzara acting and never just "let it happen" the way I could on Barfly and Factotum. A good Bukowski movie would seem to require a method actor and cast who were wasted most of the time on set and Ben Gazzara just seems to professional to me to let himself go like that.

Werner Herzog supposedly hypnotized an entire cast for one of his movies, maybe Werner should do a Bukowski movie and open the bar up and get everybody on set early in the morning and require them to get shitfaced before the cameras roll.

I'll watch Tales of Ordinary Madness again when I'm in a different mood, things can look really different when you go back to them.

Having always been curious about that movie, I am (at last!) going to watch it thanks to a French festival celebrating (at last!) Bukowski.
I am also glad I saw "Tales..." because it made me aware of Ferreri's "La Grande Bouffe" - what a magical film!
I liked it too though some scenes made me feel sick.
Werner Herzog supposedly hypnotized an entire cast for one of his movies, maybe Werner should do a Bukowski movie and open the bar up and get everybody on set early in the morning and require them to get shitfaced before the cameras roll.
Werner Herzog + Klaus Kinski as Hank's alter ego would have been my "dream team" for a Bukowski inspired European movie.

The film would have been better without Ornella Muti, in my opinion.
There's an almost fifteen-minutes sequence of well made scenes around the middle of the movie, all of them without her. That's when I realized she's a kind of burden.
Finally the main character, Charles Serking (Ben Gazzara), said it himself after Cass (O.Muti) had died: "You were too beautiful."
She was. But I prefer Tales... to Barfly.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back