The best gift ever (1 Viewer)

IMG_7637.jpg

Yesterday, we went to the city because our washing machine in the village is broken, and I took a piece of paper saying I had got a parcel from Japan. I was quite surprised, I didn`t know anyone there. So, we went to the post office and I took the heavy parcel wondering what that might be. I opened it in the car and bingo, those were Buk`s books in English, nine of them, used but very well preserved. I couldn`t believe my eyes. I was so thrilled and happy repeating:" I can`t believe..." I know Mullinex promised me to send me his but that was long time ago. From Japan to Serbia? If it was you, thanks, you made my day and the whole summer. I`m gonna enjoy reading them.

With all due respect to your best (Bukowski) gift ever, I must disagree. Only because a few days ago I received this as a gift:

2byBukowski1.jpg

2byBukowski2.jpg

So what's the best Bukowski gift you have ever received?

my daughter bought me "Pleasures of the damned" for fathers day. I think that is the only Buk gift I've ever recieved. so its got to be the best.

A like-new copy of CRUCIFIX IN A DEATH HAND with the wrap around band. The sad part is that it was a gift from the widow of a good friend who had died (it was his copy), poet/editor Leo Mailman. She knew I would appreciate it, and I do.

With all due respect to your best (Bukowski) gift ever, I must disagree. Only because a few days ago I received this as a gift:

I`m not that lucky to get such a rare stuff. I`m quite satisfied I can read his original works. I`m sure some of his readers have several valuable and hard-to-find items. Those are priceless, especially for the owner.

my favorite buk gift was given me by a fellow named kevin meaux from louisiana when i pointed to his bookshelf and said, "bukowski? i've heard of him." this was up in montana back in '90 or so. told him how i'd heard bukowski reading his poems on a casette tape back in '86, and we became fast friends and at the end of the summer there were several who had passed around buk's books in our group, and when it came time to part kevin asked me which book i wanted (out of factotum, dangling..., burning..., or love is a dog..., and the days run away like wild horses over the hills). i chose days run away..... and he was sort of crestfallen because this was his favorite book of buk's too. best title ever. that was a a great gift. i treasured it for years, gave it away one night........

2byBukowski1.jpg

2byBukowski2.jpg

You absolutely suck everlasting gobstoppers, mjp. ;) The only Buk gift I've ever received is a 16" x 20" canvas print of the b/w Buk photo from Tales of Ordinary Madness. From the good wife. Of course, her lack of complaint as I've bought tons of other stuff is certainly a gift of sorts.

Well, Black Swan did send me a couple of postcards of her lovely painting of Buk with the tranny. That was a nice gift as well. And "Ponder" sent me Transit #5. Ok, they're all lovely. So are you all.:cool:

Yep James. I've seen a photo of it and it's a pretty fine and unique gift. You might consider posting it for the folks here.

mjp, 2 by Bukowski is a incredibly nice gift as well. Wanna sell it?

:rolleyes:

Wow, that's some gift! Congrats, Jamie! You lucky son of a gun. Not only a get-well-soon card and an inscribed Buk book from Linda B., but also one of Buk's shirts and a pen of his!
That's certainly one of the most unique Buk gifts I've ever heard of!

What's the story behind it?

Last edited by a moderator:
i was in the hospital and my friend just wrote her saying i was sick, a big fan of hanks, etc..., sent her a few softcover books to sign, and she replied with all of this. needless to say, i was taken aback when i opened up the package. i'm still amazed at the generousity that linda showed for someone she didn't even know....

Yes, that was extremely generous of her! Buk married a fine woman! It's nice to know that she cares about her late husbands fans. It's an amazing story!

Last edited by a moderator:
...the good wife. Of course, her lack of complaint as I've bought tons of other stuff is certainly a gift of sorts.

You're spot on with this Purple. Thank heaven for our patient better halves eh?

James, what an amazing collection of artefacts. And what amazing kindness by Mrs Bukowski. Thanks for sharing those images.

james, great story.
but the best part, of course, is the happy ending.
I usually dislike happy endings, but in this case I'll make an exception.
do you ever wear the shirt?

wear the shirt? ha!!! no, but i did try it on when i first received it. it's quite big on me. but it was something else wearing one of hank's shirts...

Linda can be a very generous person indeed, and James, it looks like you are living proof of that.

Competition over, you win.

mjp, 2 by Bukowski is a incredibly nice gift as well. Wanna sell it?
Sorry, you'll have to dig through the dumpster for it after I die.

well an exgirl friend gave me BIT the documentary while we were trying to "fixed things out", and it's kinda funny cause she asked if I could lend it to her, and I said -sure!- but I never did. :P

mjp;
On your copy of "2 by bukowski", is the cover the color of the cover of Factotum? It looks like it is olive from the photos here, but on collectingbukowski.com it looks more orangy.

Thanks!

Bill

Not to speak for mjp, Bill, but here's what mjp posted back several months ago, and it looks just like every other copy I've seen. I should say every picture of every copy I've seen; having never held one in my hand.

I'd describe the color as an Earthy mustard.

Christ, I should work for J Crew inventing colors for their X-Mas catalogues.

Has cooter re-listed his copy at $525?

On your copy of "2 by bukowski", is the cover the color of the cover of Factotum? It looks like it is olive from the photos here, but on collectingbukowski.com it looks more orangy.
It is definitely brown. A little darker than the image here, but not olive tinged like Factotum. It's closer to Women than Factotum, but not as dark as Women.

Thanks to mjp and PSP. I may have this one figured out! It often looks canary, but that is probably the unreliability of colors on the computer.

Bill

It's caused buy the differences in how scanners and/or cameras interpret color. The copy on collectingbukowski.com is from the Groff auction. I didn't do any kind of color adjustment on it. Since I don't have a copy of this I can't compare colors.

you guys are missing the point entirely, debating about the exact hue of the cover. god, you make me crazy hemming and hawing about pantone this and monitor-calibration that.

everyone knows the real question is HOW DOES IT SMELL???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back