The campaign to save Bukowski's De Longpre bungalow (2 Viewers)

My mother always said that Bukowski was polish, every single time he came up in conversation. Any guy that writes a book where he has casual sex with twenty different mistresses is a polock. Unless he's Italian.

"A couple of years back I happened to be reading an interview of a local poet in one of the papers and the poet asked his English prof, `What do you think of Bukowski?` And the prof answered him, `He's a fucking Nazi. He'd sell his mother out for a nickel.`
I don't know what causes all this crap but some of it must simply be envy, and that's worse than sad. I only wish my fellow scribblers had just a bit more class. [...] And if I were a Nazi I would be the first one to come out and say so."

- Reach For The Sun, p.70/71

Last edited by a moderator:
Let the man himself do the talking:

bioha5.jpg

Maybe its easy to confuse someone's fascination with Nazism as them adopting fascist beliefs. Lets face it there are a heck of a lot of people curious with Hitler and his warped ideology. Look at all the documentaries/books that have been released on the subject.

It's especially easy to "confuse" if you're a lawyer looking to discredit someone's character. Hopefully whatever he says will seem appropriately flimsy...

calling someone a nazi is such a loaded term, that you could apply it to just about anyone. you may as well call villaraigosa a nazi, because even when you have no evidence whatsoever, people will still distrust him as one.

I was going to say, "You know, now whenever anyone types 'Villaraigosa' and 'Nazi' into Google they're going to come here..." but apparently there are already plenty of matches:

Results 1 - 10 of about 28,600 for villaraigosa nazi

So, apparently the lawyer plans on citing the incendiary Ben Pleasance (sp?) article, which I understand is more a product of a personal feud than anything else.
Does anyone have any examples of text, interviews, etc. that would explain their relationship and discredit this guy??

There's really no need to set about discrediting Ben Pleasants.
Refer to the obvious precedents mentioned above;

Prominent "Owners" of other human beings:
George Washington
Thomas Jefferson

Prominent Nazi Supporters;
Henry Ford
Charles Lindburgh

It's a sound argument against using superficial character judgements to ascertain historical significance as well as for appreciating the historical context of a moral or philosophical position.
If that fails, tell them to piss up a rope.

"A couple of years back I happened to be reading an interview of a local poet in one of the papers and the poet asked his English prof, `What do you think of Bukowski?` And the prof answered him, `He's a fucking Nazi. He'd sell his mother out for a nickel.`
I don't know what causes all this crap but some of it must simply be envy, and that's worse than sad. I only wish my fellow scribblers had just a bit more class. [...] And if I were a Nazi I would be the first one to come out and say so."

- Reach For The Sun, p.70/71
There's your evidence. Until someone can come up with a quote by him declaring that yes absolutely, posifuckingtively I was a sympathizer - in his own words, then I'd say they had no fucking chance in hell to discredit him.

my opinion.

like i said, all it takes is one person to come out and say he's a nazi, with no proof or evidence, and all of a sudden it's an incontrovertible fact. i could go on a larger rant about how i hate it when decisions get made based on little hot potato emotional tidbits, but i'm kinda busy right now.

Karl Rove perfected the art with the Ann Richards lesbian rumor, the Max Cleland and John Kerry war cowardice rumors, the Al Gore is a liar rumor, and on and on...

im a old guy, hence the Johnson reference. then there was Jeb Magruder. and
what about that darned teapot dome scandal - ho boy oh boy...

I'm an old guy too, but I was still a kid when Johnson was President. Just pointing out that the village idiots own personal Machiavelli has perfected the art, ruining careers and lives and even sending innocent people to prison based on lies.

A Nazi sympathizer??

I don't think so.The history probably interested him,but to say he is an actual sympathizer is going a bit too far.
Besides,he would have looked like he was Jewish to the Nazi's hahaha

I love the part where the owner says he's the second Hitler. Mmhmm. I'm sure the mainstream Jewish establishment of Los Angeles can't wait to get behind that statement.

Buk a nazi? What a farce! The owner is grasping at straws.
I can see Pleasants and the owner leading a demonstration caring big banners saying Bukowski Was A Nazi...:D

I think the author of the laweekly.com article must have seen that too...

Bukowski's widow, Linda, was unavailable for comment but is said to have been so outraged by Pleasants' accusations that shortly after the book was published she showed up at a signing and left Pleasants a two-word note saying, "Fuck you."

Ive read Pleasants 'Viscalrel Bukowski' and it is a pretty fascinating read. but of course why is he so indignent that Buk was a Nazi. I cannot understand why he would go to such great lengths. He did know Buk pretty well

This is the case of people trying to do good by saving the residence will probably noww have Buk branded as a NAZI to the general public. Once you are accused of something and the public believes it, it stays with you forever. If you don't believe me just ask Richarrd Gere.... We know that Buk was not a NAZI, but if this gets ugly he will be forever branded as one and no article will be written in the mainstream press without mentioning this....

I say to let them tear the fucking thing down and preserve the legacy in his books...

Bill

Well, Bill is right. And now that this is a legal battle and the owner has latched onto the bogus Nazi tag, it seems unavoidable that this article or another like it will be picked up by a big media outlet somewhere. Once it is out there, Bukowski will be equated with Nazism by many people. Forever. There is no defense of Nazism, it's like accusing someone of pedophilia. Forget it. Doesn't matter what the evidence to the contrary may be.

Pleasants will be pleased by that. If you read his latest chapbook on Rexroth, Bukowski and Patchen -published by Beat Scene- you'll know what I'm talking bout.

Pleasants will be pleased by that. If you read his latest chapbook on Rexroth, Bukowski and Patchen -published by Beat Scene- you'll know what I'm talking bout.

I don't intend to read his latest chapbook, so maybe you could elaborate?
Either way, Pleasants is sounding like a bigger and bigger cock-head every day.

There... no he can sue me!

How the fuck can a jew living in this time label any contemporary a nazi anyway?
With what Israel dishes out to the Palestinians, it's just ridiculous.

It's hugely embarrassing to think that the readers of somebody's prose would imagine that the place where they wrote it was in some way sacred. Eccles Street in Dublin is long gone...

It's hugely embarrassing to think that the readers of somebody's prose would imagine that the place where they wrote it was in some way sacred. Eccles Street in Dublin is long gone...

No one's saying it's "sacred" (well at least not me), but it is relevant to the history of our city.

Hindinwood,

Well, alright, it is part of the city of LA. And I would be the first one to erect a monument to Hank somewhere there. But what about Raymond Chandler ? Does he not get a mention ?

The Irish writers residences were knocked down you know. I tried to find Sean O'Caseys and it was just a garage. James Joyce's place on Eccles Street is no longer there. You should see where Karl Marx is remembered.

Los Angeles has a long and memorable history & Hank is only a small part of it.

Chandler (and Fante) strongly deserved to be remembered in some part of the city's built history. If you know of a building that is significant to either of their work and still standing (but with demolition looming) let me know.

I'm not trying to be snarky, but the "what about _____" arguement doesn't really make much sense to me, because what about it? Go for it!

As for James Joyce, it would be really wonderful to actually see a location prominately featured in his novels/stories, don't you think??

Elaborating on others is not my cup of chai; let him do the talking:
Wow, Pleasants is out of his fucking mind.

Thanks for that though, because now I can see where he got the "Nazi" Label, seeing that he feels free to accuse Bukowski of "homicide" and "manslaughter" based on Rexroth's statement. It's his own exaggeration and invention.

"All this I got on tape!" He's got it on tape! Well there's your proof of homicide, right there. It's on tape.

"Okay John said, "A," and Jane said, "B." I have it on tape! Of course "A" plus "B" equal "Z," so therefore, "Z" is the truth as it was told to me!" There's the Pleasants logic laid out in all its glory.

Someone should inform the New England Journal of Medicine and Lancet that reading a story can kill you. They really ought to look into that.

What a sad clown that Pleasants is. What an angry, pink little gnome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back