The Classical Buk (1 Viewer)

JEAN SIBELIUS (1865 - 1957)

Here is a recommendation for those who wished to explore the same classical sounds that Bukowski immersed himself in throughout his life. According to the references in Bukowski's poems, Sibelius was one of his favorite top 10 composers. I can see why. The world of Sibelius is a fantastic fairyland of sounds. The great conductor Leopold Stokowski had this to say about Sibelius's 2nd Symphony, and I think the same things could be said for all 7:

"His music is like a song of all the people, and all the forests and lakes of his country. He sings the exotic oriental, and the exhilarating Northern spirit of Finland's Life and Art.... Although in classical form, it is a free and rhapsodic expression of Sibelius' inner life of feeling and fantastic imagination.... Sibelius retains the classical four parts of symphonic form, but fills them with utterly original and often explosive music. Great music always has great themes"”these themes, or melodies, or "tunes,""”remain in the listener's memory to be sung or whistled as an intimate part of the music-lover's life. This Symphony has inexhaustible variety of themes and moods, sometimes rustic, as if voices of people, at other times like fantastic cries of Nature"”rushing, impulsive waves of sound, like violent wind on the surface of a lake, or through the high trees of a forest. At still other times the theme begins small, like a seed or germ, and gradually grows into the completed form of its final statement and musical message. In some parts is an atmosphere of melancholy loneliness, as in remote distances of the Northland, which suddenly changes into a mood of human warmth and tenderness. This Symphony is remarkable for the long lines and almost primitive simplicity of its themes, as if Nature were singing"”deep voices surging out of the earth"”higher voices answering and contradicting each other, with a feeling of conflict. Sometimes individual instruments seem to be talking to each other in friendly agreement and sympathy"”at other times masses of instruments seem to be driven and lashed by inexorable Fate. Typical of Sibelius is contrast of the savage with the tender, of the dark timbres with the brilliant, of the combining of a theme expressing both Fate and Hope, sounding in relief above a melancholy and monotonous background. Typical also the vast vistas of the final growth where all the themes combined lead triumphantly to the ultimate statement, which culminates the whole symphony with eloquent expression of human warmth, strength, compassion, love."

I agree with Stowoski's sentiments entirely! And Sibelius just happens to be a bargain, used prices, which I've had very good success with, if you're looking for a complete set of his remarkable symphonies, containing almost 4 hours of sublime music. I was lucky enough to get the performances conducted by Lorin Maazel, and they are tremendous and satisfying...highly recommended, always sounding fresh and new like a bubbling spring in the midst of winter. To quote one of the Amazon.com reviewers: "There's a real sense of excitement in these recordings and they are full of vitality and character."

http://www.amazon.com/Sibelius-Symp...ef=sr_1_6/104-6522011-8126367?ie=UTF8&s=music

"”Poptop.

Last edited by a moderator:
In an interview when asked who his all time favourite composer was, he said Sibelius.
"The long, deep tonality" etc.

Yes, beautiful stuff.

I have his 5th symphony performed by Nigel Kennedy, and although Kennedy is a bit annoying to look at and listen to when talking he certainly knows his strings.

To be honest I did search out Sibelius after watching an interview with Buk talking about how he liked the darkness of his music (I was having a bad week, I am not a coffin dwelling Gothic revivalist...unless Vogue tells me thats back in fashion);)

Hi,

Yes, there's a darkness in Siberlius too, sometimes like being in the middle of nowhere in a gathering storm and gale... I've heard Nigel Kennedy play with amazing passion... Other versions of the Sibelius Violin Concerto, which I think is what you're referring to, are by David Oistrakh or Sarah Chang"”both are tremendous performances with a vibrant orchestra giving them more support than what I feel Kennedy received in his performance. I like Nigel's appeal to the generation of classical music lovers coming up. He's broken the mold of the boring soloist dressed up in staid cummerbund and spats. lol... Glad to know you're not a coffin dweller except under fashion edict. ;-) Best wishes, Poptop.

In an interview when asked who his all time favourite composer was, he said Sibelius.
"The long, deep tonality" etc.

Yes, beautiful stuff.

Thanks for that, Buk on a bike.

Other versions of the Sibelius Violin Concerto, which I think is what you're referring to, are by David Oistrakh or Sarah Chang"” [...] I like Nigel's appeal to the generation of classical music lovers coming up. He's broken the mold of the boring soloist dressed up in staid cummerbund and spats.
True, True, True!
I also thought, you might thinkof the Violin-concerto, naming Kennedy, which is a Blast (I've it on one CD together with Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto)!
Kennedy had done a Lot for classical music, exactly like you put it, poptop, who, I hope, is still listening here! (don't leave! don't leave!)

Haven't heared That concerto done by OISTRACH, but other things from him (like Brahms' etc) and must say:
this guy really KICKS ASS! - for Some he may be a little too much 'romantic', but I (personally) sense, he's a real stunner!
Looking for a Great violin-experience while drinking a sweet wine in a star-clear night? - Oistrach'll be your boy!

Like the ONLY way to listen to RACHMANINOV's piano-concertos is with Vladimir Ashkenazy and Andre Previn.
(anybody here would disagree?)

- o.k., kids, back to SIBELIUS:
few weeks ago I was visiting a concert, invitated by a friend spontanously (another guy was dropping out), didn't know what would occure. Then came - a FEMALE conductor!
Not ugly, in a black coat, hair straightened to one small pigtail, very pale, very confident.
She had something. Not really 'cold' or 'cool' but both at the same time.
Her way of conducting was absolutely STRAIGHT.
She didn't do any unnessesary 'big movements' or something.
She didn't do any unnessessary moves at all!
She was just VERY AWARE of what she did.
But (e.g.) when wanting more POWER from one section (like from the violins) she had a way of making a fist, shivering with it, into their direction, with so much IMPACT but still NOT pathetical at all!

She had - all in all - not only full control over the orchestra, she not only was a true MASTER in a
male world (anyone of you ever seen a female conductor before? I haven't!) she had this MAGIC of a clear,
cold structure, like a wide solitude landscape covered with (not snow, but) ice. Quiet and wide and full of INNER passion

Well, I see, I'd better get to my point:
At start of the pause, I said to my friend: "I really would love to see her conducting SIBELIUS !"
Then I had a look into the program. Guess what! Her name was obviously Finnish - and yes - she WAS Finnish!

The conductor was SUSANNA MÄLLKI.

So, it was not totally accidential, that she reminded me of Sibelius.
They truly have similar feelings in common.
Have been searching then, if there are any recordings of her doing Sibelius. Haven't found any. Sad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back