The future is ready for you (1 Viewer)

mjp

Founding member
Mike Elgan is in 3 million Google+ circles.

That might be reason enough to read what he's written here, but beyond his massive popularity, his article hits all the points that go to the heart of what is great about Google+, and why it is, unquestionably, the future (as the more than 800 G+ users in the Bukowski net circles would agree!).

Part of what made him so popular on Google+ is that he was an early adopter, but more than that, the lesson to be learned from his experience is that you have to focus on something to get the maximum benefit from it. He was able to do that by abandoning Facebook, Twitter and even his own blog, rather than simply adding Google+ on top of everything (Ugh, another thing I have to check every day...).

Anyway, worth a read if you just don't get Google+.

http://www.cultofandroid.com/50078/learned-way-3-million-google-circles/

3million-640x801.jpg

Last edited:
For example, YouTube comments were a disaster because anonymity was allowed. The site’s conversations were totally dominated by trolls, racists, misogynists, and morons.

I gave Mr. Elgan's article the benefit of the doubt... aaaaand it's withdrawn.

What's incorrect about what he said about YouTube comments? They were utterly worthless (on popular videos anyway, and for exactly the reasons he lists) before they changed the system.

Maybe you were one of the YouTubers who ran around flailing your arms and screaming that the sky was falling because the commenting system changed, and Elgan's criticism hits too close to home.

It sure isn't a bunch of 15 year olds calling everyone "fag," tea party halfwits blaming Obama and LIBERALS for every cloud in the sky, or relentless, never ending snark, and that's what 90% those comments were. That's what 90% (or more) of comments everywhere are.

All of those things are fine in small doses, and there are a lot of really funny people out there. But it's like what they say about too much bold text; if everything on a page is bold, nothing on the page is bold.

Anyway, the problem isn't the handful of people who have a genuine talent for humor or a well-turned insult, it's the other 850 million people who think they are clever, but are about as far from clever as someone can be (like me, for instance). It's why a lot of bigger sites ditched comments all together. I don't think trying to fix that and let non-racist, non-homophobic, non-political ranty comments rise to the top makes anything any less "entertaining."

Anyone who misses that kind of thing can always go to a million other unmoderated sites and rejoice in the "entertainment" of their fellow dipshits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back