The man who shot Charles Bukowski (1 Viewer)

From the article:

a great German actor came to visit.

"While everyone was busy setting up the lights, he was sitting with this actor," recalls Montfort. "The actor was asking him about the Iron Cross that was once hanging on the mirror of his VW Beetle. That was the only present that his beloved grandfather ever gave him -- ever could give him -- because he was dirt poor, his Iron Cross from World War II.

"So this actor somehow, I don't know all the details, accused him of being a Nazi because he was driving around with this Iron Cross. Bukowski stretched his hand out to this guy, and apparently the German actor thinks this is a goodwill sign and gives him his hand. Bukowski pulls his hand over, spits in it, folds it and gives it back to him. The German actor was so pissed, he was sitting outside the house in San Pedro for the rest of the night and wouldn't come back in to talk with Bukowski."

Also from the article;

We're sitting at a round, wooden table just outside of the Coagula Projects art gallery, in a converted brewery downtown with a mess of Montfort's Bukowski photos spread out before us.

Did I mention elsewhere that you can still get the press kit for that show, which includes two 5x7 Montfort prints?

I did? Oh, never mind then.

CIMG1395.jpg

and this is how the press kit could look, nicely framed on your wall.....

I wonder if this actor was Klaus Kinski.

it definitely wasn't Kinski.
not his style to accuse someone for being a nazi because of the cross, not his style knowing this detail about Buk's former car at all, anyway. and not his style to keep quiet after one spits into his hands and just walk out.

btw.
I think I recall, that this iron cross being the one of his grandfather, to be a myth.
Didn't he just buy it cheap in the early 60s? - there must be a letter about, i'm pretty sure.

It rings of myth, doesn't it. If it was a real heirloom, would he hang it from the mirror in the car? I don't know. I kind of doubt it. Unless he didn't care if it was lost or stolen.

I think I recall, that this iron cross being the one of his grandfather, to be a myth.
Didn't he just buy it cheap in the early 60s? - there must be a letter about, i'm pretty sure.
And it was an Ironcross from WW 1 - not WW2, so there was no swastika on it. That's why I don't understand how Buk could be accused of being a nazi because he had an Ironcross from WW1. It makes no sense unless he later on got hold of one from WW2 who all had a small swastika in the center of the cross.
Was it really a myth that he got it from his grandfather? I always believed it to be true because he mentions it in Ham On Rye....

Last edited by a moderator:
And it was an Ironcross from WW 1 - not WW2, so there was no swastika on it. That's why I don't understand how Buk could be accused of being a nazi because he had an Ironcross from WW1.

it's a symbol of German military. so it's not totally unusual to call someone a 'Nazi' for it.
it's not only superficial foreigners, who would think that:
even in Germany you are kind of suspect nowadays, if you carry military symbols, no matter from what area.

Was it really a myth that he got it from his grandfather? I always believed it to be true because he mentions it in Ham On Rye....

in 'Ham on Rye' he only states, that he got one from his grandfather. there's no evidence, he kept that all those years.

but I'm pretty sure, i've read about him buying an iron cross cheap, in one of his letters from the 60s. at first, i was surprised too. (due to the 'Ham on Rye' story and the myth.) but it was his own words to say that.

hasn't anyone else read that?
cirerita?

have just had a quick look through his 60s letters.

didn't find that iron-cross thing, but two other things, we had in other threads.

on keeping CARBONS:

letter to Jon Webb / Dec 19, 1962:
"... And the other stuff, the older stuff has disappeared and I don't keep records and/or carbons so it's pretty much lost."

letter to J.W.Corrington / Dec 24, 1962: (only ONE week later!)
"... On the poems about Jane, I kept copies ..."

letter to John Martin / May 29, 1968:
"... yes would like to do another book with you - the new poems - will keep carbons of all the shit I write from now on. plus, there is plenty of back work."

on keeping NOTEBOOKS:

letter to Jim Roman / Jan 11, 1965:
"If I'd saved all my notebooks I wouldn't be able to move around this kitchen - or read them either."

but I'm pretty sure, i've read about him buying an iron cross cheap, in one of his letters from the 60s. at first, i was surprised too. (due to the 'Ham on Rye' story and the myth.) but it was his own words to say that.

hasn't anyone else read that?
cirerita?

I believe I've read that he bought an Ironcross, because the one he had got lost or stolen so he had to get another one. But I can't remember where I read it...

Btw, did'nt he tie his Ironcross to Cupcakes door together with a note one day she wasn't at home, during one of their break-ups?

He bought the iron cross for 30 bucks in a souvenir shop in Alpine Village.
See the letter to Carl Weissner dated 24th march 1979.
(german editon " Schreie vom Balkon " page 344)

it definitely wasn't Kinski.
... and not his style to keep quiet after one spits into his hands and just walk out.

Yeah, I guess this should have been obvious. Kinski probably would have physically attacked Bukowski.

FYI - The Alpine Village is a weird old 1960's tourist joint just north of San Pedro on the 110 freeway. I've never been there, so I'm not sure what goes on in there. And I'm pretty sure I don't want to know. I drove by it every day for 8 years and was never tempted to stop in. What can I say. I haven't needed an iron cross lately.

I went to Octoberfest at Alpine Village several years ago... drink beer, eat bratwurst and sauerkraut, rub elbows with other drunks and listen to polka music. About as close to heaven as you can get I suppose. Can't say that I enjoyed it much

Users who are viewing this thread

Back