The Murder (1 Viewer)

zobraks

Reaper Crew
I've wondered about this (uncollected?) story since the first time I read this:
in Screams from the Balcony, page 49, a short story called "the murder" is mentioned. it says that it was published in Notes From Underground #1, 1964. does anyone have Notes #1?
I believe that "Murder" was printed later as "The Blanket" which is the last story in "Erections." I'm not completely positive of this, but I seem to recall coming across the 1964 story and then discovering it was the same story with a different title published later as "The Blanket."
Can anyone solve this mystery and/or post the scan(s) of the story here? Please.

If you read The Blanket it certainly could have also been titled The Murder.

I know it's only a story, not an autobiographical article, but the story takes place in the Mariposa Apartment (where he lived on the third floor), and he describes downing a full glass of vodka after "testing" the doctor who told him that drinking would kill him with one or two "thimbles" of liquor.

But he moved in to Mariposa five years after his bleeding ulcer. So what he's saying is that for at least five years he had only tiny amounts of liquor. Which would contradict his usual story about picking up his old drinking habits within days or weeks of leaving the hospital.

Yeah, it's only a story (about a homicidal blanket, no less), but it's an interesting tidbit all the same. Seems that any other time he wrote or talked about "testing the doctor" was in stories where he resumed drinking almost immediately after the hospital.

[...] his usual story about picking up his old drinking habits within days or weeks of leaving the hospital. [...]
can't look it up now, but seem to remember a letter from Buk to Whit Burnett, written in 1955 [!!] declaring, he's betting the horses now because he's not supposed to drink anymore. This would make about a year of possible absense from the soup.

I believe that "Murder" was printed later as "The Blanket" which is the last story in "Erections." I'm not completely positive of this, but I seem to recall coming across the 1964 story and then discovering it was the same story with a different title published later as "The Blanket."
David had been right, Pogue proved it. The Great Mystery solved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back