The Outsiders of New Orleans: Loujon Press (1 Viewer)

Wayne Ewing's documentary, The Outsiders of New Orleans: Loujon Press, will debut at the Denver Film Festival on Sunday, Nov. 11. Here's a link to the Denver Film Society's page on the film:

http://www.denverfilm.org/filmcenter/detail.aspx?id=21582

As you might be aware, Loujon was Bukowski's first important publisher. The film goes far beyond the Bukowski connections, though. Louise Webb, past 90 and still electrifying, is the star of the show.

If you're going to be in Denver on Nov. 11, you might want to check this one out.

A New Orleans showing is in the works, as is one in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. DVDs will be available before Christmas through Wayne Ewing's website, www.loujonpress.com. The site was not yet functional as of this afternoon, but keep checking. It will be up and running very soon.

I look forward to seeing the documentary, the book was quite interesting.

However -

Your promotion here is a bit lacking. I'm kind of disappointed.

You should set up a bus tour of New Orleans with Louise as the guide. She can point to places Bukowski may have had a drink 50 years ago. I think you can get $75 a head for that. Then get someone to draw a cartoon bird (or use one that already exists), stick a beret on it, call it a LouBird, and slap it on tons of ridiculous cheap shit and sell it from the site.

Now that's how you promote!

Great news! I just got the Loujon book. I like it. Lots of interesting info. I'm looking forward to get a copy of the DVD as well.

Ps.: The loujonpress link does'nt work. There's only an ad from the domain hoster...

Last edited by a moderator:
I love it when the singers in these bands do that one note monster voice. It cracks me up every time. They're trying so hard to be serious and frightening.

No, the website is not yet operational

Hey everybody:

I'm sorry that www.loujonpress.com is not yet working. The film and the site belong to Wayne Ewing (not me) and I understand that he is working very hard to get both of them ready for release.

Please keep checking the site, though, because he could get things going pretty soon. If I hear anything about it being up and running, I'll post here right away.

Wayne has made a jewel of a film. I think you're going to like it.

All best,
Jeff

Your promotion here is a bit lacking. I'm kind of disappointed.
Now that was funny I man really really funny. Made me laugh out loud.
Question though, shouldn't the mascot be a crayfish-it is New Orelans the claws may make great castenets or magnets and at least in New Orleans the BUkbib may come in handy.

www.loujonpress.com

Hey Everybody:

www.loujonpress.com is up and running. It still lacks some content, but is the honest to goodness website, not the proxy that was there before.

I hope you'll check it out.

All best,
Jeff

Hi,
I just ordered a copy. Thanks to Jeff Weddle for writing about this great lady and thanks to Wayne for making the movie. It should have been done decades ago, but at least Lou is here to see that she is not forgotten.

They were unique people and their work still stands as some amazing bookart....

Bill

Indeed it is! Nice picture of Jon and Gypsy-Lou...

How do I order a copy when I live in Europe?
The site only mentions US and Canada and shipment to Europe might cost more.

If you live anywhere near New Orleans, I urge you to consider being at the Prytania Theatre at 8 pm on December 6 for the NOLA premier of The Outsiders of New Orleans. I'm almost positive Louise Webb will be there, as will Wayne Ewing and I.

It should be a lot of fun.

All best,
Jeff

Wayne Ewing is shipping copies of the DVD now. I hope those of you who order copies will post your reactions to the film!

All best,
Jeff

The DVD was impressive as well. Good to see you and Ed Blair talking about the Webbs. It's really the Gypsy Lou story, as its presented in the film, and it's an interesting story to tell. Nice job.

Wayne Ewing is shipping copies of the DVD now. I hope those of you who order copies will post your reactions to the film!
You bet! The confirmation e-mail said the DVD would be shipped out at Nov. 19, so it should arrive any day now...

Hi All:

I thought some of you might be interested in having the very nice artwork done by the New Orleans Film Society to promote the December 6 NOLA premier of The Outsiders of New Orleans. It is available at this link:

http://www.neworleansfilmfest.com/evite/outsiders/

If you decide to print this, be warned: It doesn't fit on a single sheet of 81/2x11 printer paper. It does fit nicely on 11/17, however. It prints beautifully in color.

Enjoy!

All best,
Jeff

Hey Everybody:

Here are a couple of more links some of you might find of interest. The first is for the Brooklyn Independent Film Series screening of The Outsiders of New Orleans, which saywhat mentioned earlier.

http://www.brooklynindependent.com/

This second link is for a book talk and movie screening I'll be doing at the University of Alabama next week. I don't expect you guys to show up for these things--though it would be lovely if you did--but I thought you might like to see the promotional stuff.

http://coolathoole.blogspot.com/2007/11/bohemian-new-orleans-story-of-outsider.html

Okay, I'd better get to work. Hope all's well with everyone out there....

All best,
Jeff

I received the DVD today. I like the film very much! Great that it shows how the printing was done and how the books were assembled. I had never seen the Miller books before so it was nice to finally see them. It's great to watch the old home movie clips of Lou in Pirates Alley etc. It gives you a good impression of the French Quarter back then with all the artists and musicians. I think the film told the story of the Loujon Press very well and it was a joy to watch Lou talk about it. I'm glad that we finally got both a book and a film about Loujon Press! They deserve it!

I'm really glad you liked the film. I think Wayne did a tremendous job with it. Isn't it great to see and hear Lou? And to have a little bit of Jon in the old home movies--fantastic.

How old is Lou? When was she born? - In the Loujon book it says that Jon was born on Feb. 1, 1905, but not when Lou was born (unless I missed it). It does say however, that she lived with her family in 1938 and was 21 when she met Jon. That would make the year of her birth 1917 and then she would be 90 years old in 2007. But in the documentary it's said that she's "well into her nineties"! So how old is she exactly and when was she born? Does anyone here know?

Lou is unwilling to talk about her age, but she is roughly 11 years younger than Jon. She was born, I believe, in either 1916 or 1917.

All best,
Jeff

Thanks, Jeff! Yes, 1916 must be the year because I found another reference about it on page 53 in your book: " April 29, 1961, was Louise's forty-fifth birthday." So that settles it...

Aha! I can't remember half of what's in the book. I had to give a twenty-five minute talk about Loujon last night and was reduced to writing out a lecture and pretty much reading from the pages, which is a horrible way to speak to people.

I'm glad you found the info you were looking for.

All best,
Jeff

That's nothing.

I give lectures without notes and WITHOUT having read ANY background material.

Shamelessness can be a virtue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back