• If you start a thread here you have permission to edit the thread and your posts indefinitely. So if the status of your sale or auction changes, please come back and update the thread.

THE 'real deal' CHARLES BUKOWSKI TAPES (1 Viewer)

Low starting bid! I remember I paid 110$ for my copy at kerouac.com, so you should get at least that for your brand new copy since you can't buy it anymore...

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are rarely available in the original form. I think that is the third time I've seen them on eBay in 8 years. I would be surprised if they didn't sell, though they probably can't fetch the premium they may have a couple of years ago. Still a tough find for someone who has been looking for them.

I'm curious with the wide availability of the TAPES going to DVD, if they still gather interest... Strictly for the collector (the tapes) at this point.

you still might be able to...
nobody bid on it, i relisted it at 1/2 price!
same thing with X-RAY no 9, no interest either.................

does anybody know...roughly what these should be going for these days?
the buk tapes i mean. maybe we can work somthing out, effects.

just pm me with how much you're looking to get out of them.

OR

nobody bid on them, it could be a sign from above to keep them for yourself.
;)

A year or two back they would generally bring around $100, but since they've been released on DVD the demand is likely to be less. They're really only of interest to collectors now.

somebody buy these godamn tapes!!! :) just joking!

i agree, that's what I was saying earlier; once this went to DVD it became a STRICTLY for the collectors ITEM. It's a great looking set (nice box, etc) but VHS is pretty much (pretty much?!, okay it's..) DEAD. VHS is completely unlike VINYL, it has no lasting appeal and little reason to collect. ..hey, what am I saying?! I'm trying to UNLOAD these tapes, THE BUK TAPES last forever!!!

Also, I'm not sure what broadside appeared in x-ray no 7, but I guarantee someone smarter than I am will chime in very soon to let u know...

Many more BUK auctions coming up this weekend, please keep an eye out!
BEST,
Owen

theeffects, what's the Buk item in X-ray no. 9 called?

Hi,
I'll take this one...

The piece in X-Ray #9 is "Waste". It is a larger broadside, wrapped around the other ones.

I'm not sure if it has been published before, but the first line is

"boring," he said from his deathbed,

I hope that this helps.

Bill

... but VHS is pretty much (pretty much?!, okay it's..) DEAD. VHS is completely unlike VINYL, it has no lasting appeal and little reason to collect ...

I know it's deader than a doorknob, but I kind of like VHS. Nostalgia for obsolete technology, I guess. Vinyl, too. I love my VHS copy of BARFLY I got cheap on eBay, and it's genuine. After buying several rip off dubs as "real" VHS films, I was hesitant to buy BARFLY, but the seller had great feedback. Too many fake tapes and CDs and DVDs will kill the market for those on eBay, but what can you do but complain, give negative feedback, risk getting it back, and it's a pain to return something you only paid a small amount for. But I'd buy a VHS of the BUKOWSKI TAPES if I was sure it was genuine, even if it is now on DVD (don't have any version at this point). All I need is more money and time to enjoy the things I'd buy, and spiritual enlightenment so I wouldn't want them in the first place.

yes, I'm also am very content with my old vhs of BARFLY. I got a genuine one for about 7 bucks on ebay. I like vhs a lot better than dvd anyways. So many times I rent a dvd and get halfway through it and them BOOM, it hits a scratch and freeezes. you don't see that with old vhs tapes.

I hate any tape related medium. I have a thousand or so cassette tapes that are currently disintegrating on me. or are stretched, etc. I'd say only about 30% of them are playable now. wasted money. BAH! I say BAH!
ah well, the recording industry needs my money, I suppose...

I have a thousand or so cassette tapes that are currently disintegrating on me. or are stretched, etc. I'd say only about 30% of them are playable now. wasted money. BAH! I say BAH!
The money is the least of my worries. Most of my tapes are live performances by my and my friend's bands 25+ years ago, and once those tapes are shot, the only record of most of those things is gone forever. Then there are a couple of Bukowski cassettes here from the 70's that I've never even heard, so I don't know if they are salvageable or not. I really need to get a cassette deck and start dumping this shit onto a hard drive (where it can really get lost forever. ;)).

I really need to get a cassette deck and start dumping this shit onto a hard drive (where it can really get lost forever. ;)).

yeah, I just set up my computer to the turntable and tape deck so I could do the same thing...I'm just too lazy. I'd rather complain about my cassette collection. grumpy is comfortable and less work.

I bought these tapes for 60$.

Tapes.JPG TapesCover.JPG
Must be a bootleg but... is it possible that Lagoon eventually "sold" the rights of these tapes later on??

I don't know if Lagoon sold the rights later on, but they are not the ones from Lagoon. If the quality i ok, then what the hell...
The originals were sold for 110$ ! Now they are out on dvd for less than 20$...

Last edited by a moderator:
Lagoon didn't own the rights, Les Films du Losange did (that sounds like a name Barbet made up...films of Los Angeles? I don't know). Lagoon was just a distributor, so they could not sell the rights, but their release is the only legit VHS release.

It's kind of a moot point now with the DVD. I have the Lagoon tapes, but now that they are on DVD it's pretty unlikely they will ever be played again.

i remember thinking 'what a steal', when I bought the BUK TAPES for $15 (buy it now, last year), and it was a good deal, but I sold it TOO LATE. I got $26, but if the dvd wasn't around I'm sure it would fetch more. It's pretty easy to part with though, I would never watch a vhs again, once you go dvd you don't go back... VHS are for old age homes, and treatment centres...

I've got Barfly on VHS in a ridiculously oversized box (an original copy) but the Buk tapes in a nice neat DVD package, I actually prefer the clunking ton of tape format, though, as I move home on Saturday my back may beg to differ come Monday morning!

Lets just thank god laser disc never took off, those things were huge:eek:

like it was mentioned before THE biggest downfall of VHS is that they DO NOT last... Generally VHS will not last beyond 10-15 years (cheaper stock less), vinyl can last a LONG, LONG time (beyone our lifetimes) and have a UNIQUE sound and quality, VHS is just poor quality, who wants to see poor colors and crappy audio... (I know someone to be different will say; I DO!) but your full of shit, VHS sucks, end of conversation!!!
:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back