The Trend in Modern Day Poetry (1 Viewer)

Has anyone else noticed that it seems that the majority of poets out there in today's circuit, tend to have similar, if not, identical themes in the poems they write?

Such as the, 'My childhood was way worse than yours!!' theme,
or 'I'm much more of an alcoholic/junkie/fuck up than you will ever be, or ever aspire to be'.

For example(I'll whip something up right now, because it's easy, and it flows, yo:D) "did some speed, fucked some bitch in the backseat of a friends car in the parking lot at Wal-Mart, after that, went to a bar, the Black Lab, got drunk, fucked another bitch, and loaded my gun in the headlights of the car outside of my wife's house, just another day, and oh yeah, I can drink you under the table"

It seems to me that it has become a trend to be MORE extreme than the next.
To be MORE grittier, MORE crazier, and as brutally honest(or fake) as possible, even if it IS complete fiction, than the next poet.
On the flip side, the trend of being as cryptic and as surreal as possible seemed mighty big in the 20th century, as well.

With that being said, a lot of these 'tough guy poets' are good writers, by nature. No doubt about that.
The poems are sharp, visceral, and quick.
Personal preference, I like that style, as opposed to the other extreme where a lot of the other poets will hide behind a foggy wall of adjectives, obscure metaphors and hallucinogenic imagery, similar to the 20th century surrealist poetry movement(though I like a few of those guys as well, when it's done right, IMHO).

The only poet that I am aware of, that created an eloquent balance of day-to-day reality with a pinch of surrealism, was Buk.

I've rifled through dozens of online poetry zines and forums, and a staggering amount of these contemporary poets write poems that read like the lyrics to some Eminem song...without the rhyming, of course.
The whole 'I'm hardcore and a hard core alcoholic' syndrome is just simply boring and flat.
I drink almost everyday when I don't have a hangover, but I try to refrain from writing about it, because it's been exhausted to death.
Same thing goes with the whole 'junkie/rehab' memoir/poetry shtick.

Anyway, just wanted to get some opinions from the fabulous folk here, and see if you guys/gals noticed this epidemic.
Or maybe it's just me, which is usually the case.

I was just stuck in that room without a view you mention about sounding cheap and boring and like the worst one in the forum as can be seen in my own new blääd threat. The background for that was a silly anecdote my brother told me and without hesitating I typed it, simply because I love him. I didn't go through any quality check and of course, the result was a mess. I can understand the embaressment and if anyone is capable of reading german, you could see the difference of my poems on the site mentioned in my introduction. Yet this is no excuse or justification I'm trying to give, it was like a lyrical blackout. Shit happens, and if you display the shit to others, you'll get what you deserve. I'm fine with that and maybe within my own mistake lies the explanation of "punched him in da face/ fucked his ugly whore/ stole my grandma's jewelery" and plain bullshit being printed on paper.If there's no reading while you're writing it's like pencil diarrhea. Maybe the trend is that people have nothing to say and there's a market for words void of any deeper meaning. I can't relate to the "tough guy" scene, if there is one, I hate that macho/bitch scheme. It seems to be made up and not for real, like a mere imitation of what's on MTV. Young people acting like they're killers from the ghetto, one more al capone than the other and what hides behind it is a lack of identity and character. I believe the more gangsta they try to be, the more inferior they feel. And if that is a mass phenomena, it can be printed on paper like it's sold in the media.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't read nearly enough poetry... I'm a bit disenfranchised with it at the moment... but some new BOSPress books oughtta help that a bit.

However, as a reader and a bookseller, I do notice the trend in both memoir and fiction for the same kind of thing... Of course, the tough guy writers are a bit more sparse than, say, chick lit fiction, but... it seems like a lot of male authors are still enamored with people like Hemingway, Bukowski, and the like... Not really a bad thing if its well written, but some of it... ehh...

Read David Barker, Hosho McCreesh, Father Luke, Michael Phillips, Cunningham, RJ Wink, Vodka and Joan Jobe Smith and all of those others who frequent this board (exceptions noted). None of that stuff there. And appy-polly-loggies to the other buk.net poets who write; I only mentioned a few of the best-known writers here (in my scotch-soaked brain, of course).

There are plenty of good writers who don't compare their genitalia or livers in the restroom (well, they might, but they don't write about it fer Christ's sake). :rolleyes:

I'd say it all boils down to where you look. I think most publishing outfits look to build a kind of reliable editorial voice, build up a readership that knows what to expect post to post or issue to issue. I think there are plenty of editors out there that, like Magick, have tired of the type of work you've mentioned.

I'd say the best way to enjoy the small press (as it is very vast, & just getting bigger) is to find writers & editors you like, & support those places. The pro/con of online publishing: pro--it's instant & can reach anyone with a computer anywhere in the world; con--it's instant & anyone with a computer can reach it (& submit poems, just like their hero [whoever] wrote). Anyone can make an online magazine these days--just start a blog & put out a call for subs. But my experience is, the really strong & consistent online mags still do a hell of a lot of work editorially--they read lots of subs, & they pass on everything that doesn't fit their specific vision. I've been reading lots of the small press for the last 10 years & I have seen lots of good mags come & go...full of work that is the polar opposite of the kind Magick described. I love the small press. I love that so many different folks, from so many different walks of life, spend their time & hard-earned money to put poetry out there. I imagine the same complaints were hurled at the mimeo revolution, & will be hurled at whatever follows blogs, MySpace, & online zines. The wheel turns...

By way of comparison, I'd offer up: PEMMICAN, THIEVES JARGON, RIGHT HAND POINTING, RUSTY TRUCK (brand new & really strong out of the gate!), SHOOTS & VIVES...all with an online prescence. There are other places that are a blend of online & print--also very good, all that routinely reject most all the work described above.

I say, keep looking, keep trying...you'll find some good stuff.

Well I must say I am the toughest drunkest fuckingest writer alive, but I don't flaunt it.

I like the points being made here and coming from some people whose opinions I do admire. ( although I don't agree with all of you all the time.) The only thing I would like to add to what Purple Stickpin mentioned is: Vodka is not capitalized and she is actually Jenifer Wills. justin.barrett ought to be added to the list along with Michael J Phillips just my opine.

They most certainly are different people.

One is a tyrant. The other, a tyrant. ;)

(But both used to be married to Demi Moore "” so they claim...)

A doppelganger?

Very cool guys, thanks.

I've been a fan of Father Luke's stuff for awhile, and I've just started to really like the works of Hosho McCreesh, justin.barrett, and David Barker. The others that PS mentioned, I'll check out for sure.
Hosh, thanks for letting me know about those other places.
Thieves Jargon has been one that I've been frequenting and considering to submit some stuff to, but apparently it's an 'invite only-secret handshake thing'
Alright, I'm off.

They have a "manifesto/submit" page. I've subbed there before, but never placed anything with them. I was never officially "invited", but they still considered the work as far as I can tell...plus they give a sub email address...so it might be a joke that you have to be "invited." Not sure.

But they certainly didn't tell me "You haven't been invited!" so I think you should just try them & see what they say...

Other poets to consider: Anne Menebroker, Doug Draime, William Taylor, Jr., Brian McGettrick, Luis Berriozabal, Bob Pajich, Kathleen Paul-Flanagan--man, so many... Hell, just look to the entire stables of Bottle of Smoke Press, Centennial Press, Sunnyoutside...Kendra Steiner Editions and Propaganda Press put out really strong, & really affordable books...KSE offers 3 short books for $10! There's some pretty great little books out there to read...stuff you can't hardly find anywhere but directly from the people who loved it enough to make it. & they're pretty much all first editions...if you happen to collect books... I'm just saying...

I think the small press (well, micropress offically) & some cool places like SUN DOG, 7 STORIES PRESS, and WRECKINGBALL PRESS...these places are fantastic...& are really worth supporting, if only so AMAZON and BARNES & NOBLE aren't allowed to basically decide which books even get MADE (an alarming trend). There MUST be other outlets for literature & these presses are it!

Okay, I'm getting woozy up on this soapbox...sorry...

"alright, alright, alrightttt"
Thanks for the wealth of info, Hosh.
When I'm not so hungover, I'll be checking out the other small press sites, as well as the poets you mentioned.
I got some catching up to do.
BoSP does have an impeccable roster of poets.
Bill's production, design and craft that goes into publishing those books, is staggering. Very beautiful stuff.

btw, I'm trying to locate a few of your earlier 'OOP' books, such as "Deep Surface..." and "Something Random.." but to no avail.
How many copies were printed of those guys?

anyway, thanks again.

BoSP is fantastic--100 titles in just a few years! & Bill's hardbacks are enough to break your heart wide open--they are amazing!

I appreciate the interest. To answer your question: Not many, I'm afraid. Something Random... got 2 printings...maybe 50 copies each, so 100 total?--out of an outfit in Australia that has, I think, hung up their spurs--Mockfrog Press. Looks like the the editor, Matthew Ward is still publishing a magazine, Skive. He might have a copy or two jammed under a rickety table.

Fissures was also maybe 50 copies, if memory serves. All gone, I'm afraid.

someday, after hosho's tragic hooker-related, scotch induced, messy messy "death" in switzerland, I'll sell my massive archive of everything he's ever produced and go live like a king. of a very very small country. ;)

I'll keep you in mind for some of that sell-off, magick. :)

I don't read nearly enough poetry... I'm a bit disenfranchised with it at the moment... but some new BOSPress books oughtta help that a bit.

As a proud owner of the limited, handsome BoSP, "A Bibliographic Checklist of the first one hundred publications" "” that is where I have turned.

Having number 4/50 makes it even more special. There are probably none left, but if there are any, I'd put it on my short list of must haves...it rests under lock and key with all my BUK pieces "” a solid addition.

And the binding, well, it smells like "” utopia.

Thanks for providing such a great biblio book, Bill. A real beauty.

Gotta go; time to sniff again...

Pax

As a proud owner of the limited, handsome BoSP, "A Bibliographic Checklist of the first one hundred publications" "” that is where I have turned.
Mine's on the way, actually. I catch myself drooling over the image over on the BOS site though. Almost literally.

Having number 4/50 makes it even more special. There are probably none left, but if there are any, I'd put it on my short list of must haves...it rests under lock and key with all my BUK pieces "” a solid addition.

Thanks for providing such a great biblio book, Bill. A real beauty.
Many thanks!

Yes, it is sold out. Anyone that paid for a copy has one. There are a few still in the mail. I may do a second printing or a paperback edition. Not sure, but the 1st HB is sold out.

Anyone that really wants one can contact Jeff Maser. He may have an extra one to sell, but otherwise, no booksellers bought copies (he has 2), so once these are gone, they are really gone.

Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back