There will be tweaking! (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope from now on members think twice before they add useless smileys.
HAHAHAhahahaha

woopy.jpg

Why do quotes show up lower on the space than regular posts?

Also, short posts have a small white bar at the botrtom. It makes me think there's a glitch.

I don't see a white bar under a short post...

But the signature move was something they did intentionally. I think I'd have to alter a file to change that, and I won't do that. Template and CSS changes are saved in the database, so they're easy to manage. File changes are impossible to manage. For me.

It means that you've posted in the thread?

No, if you've posted in the thread, it's marked by a small green circle with a white arrow in it, placed on top of the envelope icon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Go here. Scroll all the way down to the bottom. The icons are explained there.

50,000+ views or 50+ posts qualifies as "hot" around here.

And this wiiiiide screen minus the menu to the left. How will we tell newbies about the poem-database now?
I added tabs up top that point to the database, timeline and manuscripts. That should be enough for the most requested/suggested links.

I had a look at my profile, and on top of the message box it says, "Visitor Messages - About Me - Friends", but you can only see the upper 1/3 of the letters.
Fixed:

attachment.php

Attachments

• profiletabs.jpg
    profiletabs.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 261
Thanks, mjp! And you got rid of the ugly black color around the box too. Very nice.

Well, shit. What version of IE is that? I checked everything in the latest IE, but if that's an old version it may be an IE CSS problem. IE has never done CSS properly.

"Internet Explorer 6 was released on August 27, 2001" - and it hasn't been substantially updated since 2002. Need I say more?

The internet can't sit around and wait for Microsoft to get their shit together.

Rob, for fuck's sake, man! Do yourself a favor.

I'm a t work, so I don't know if I can do the Firefox thing, but I did update the IE and it works correctly now!

That depends - did you join Facebook? :p

No - its a feature being trialled...

Facebook Connect allows your guests and existing users to login with their Facebook account through Facebook Connect.

Benefits of Facebook Connect

* Users can simply login with their Facebook account without going through the registration process.
* Increase user interaction and your traffic through Facebook notifications and news-feeds!

Features
Facebook users will be able to receive Facebook notifications when:

* There is a reply to their thread or a thread that they're subscribing to
* They receive a new PM

News-Feed will be published on to the user's wall when the user:

* Logs in for the first time
* Replies to a thread
* Creates a new thread

Fetch user data from Facebook
Fetch data like name, location, profile picture and use it on your forums! (NOTE: Some data may not be available for some users)

Automatically befriend user's friends
If any of the user's friends are also registered on the forum, they will automatically be friends!

In the 4.4 years of the Bukowski.net forum we've had many updates. Usually mjp just squeezes them onto the Internet and unless there's a glitch, no-one is any the wiser.

This time though, the update features a complete re-write of the forum front-end, at least in terms of appearance. It's just the way it goes. If we want a secure, hack resilient, spam reduced forum, we have to put up with these updates.

I'd also like to point out, that the forum software, and the server space on which it runs, all costs money. Thanks mjp for your generosity. I raise my virtual glass - mine host!

The facebook widget will also be expanded in the next version of the forum (out soon) and FB users will be able to flag threads or posts as something they "like" and the entire facebook universe will then be privy to their perversity. Or something. There are a lot of things that can potentially be "shared."

I don't use facebook, but hundreds of millions of people do, so why not integrate some features? It doesn't really change anything around here, except for the facebook users. They (the forum geeks) are also working on twitter integration, and if they come out with that, we'll add it too. Why not.

what was the reason for change anyway?
The forum software was changed a long time ago, we were behind in updates, and eventually would have been left orphaned with no more improvements and bug fixes had we not updated.

Er, what Hank said!

I'm too slow these days...

I'd also like to point out, that the forum software, and the server space on which it runs, all costs money. Thanks mjp for your generosity. I raise my virtual glass - mine host!

Yes, many thanks to mjp for footing the bill.

By the way, I've already gotten used to the new format. I like it. I noticed we now can do things like embed videos into our posts, which is cool.

Yeah, I've always wanted to connect buknet with my facebook-account. That's what I was waiting for all the time. And embedding videos was next on my list. Maybe we can also connect to myspace?

This is only partially ironic.
I do like to have more possies or features, even if I don't really need them. Still I'm fighting with the new layout.

And I've noticed, that the new version is using ActiveX, which the ones before didn't.

Is it? How can you tell? I hadn't noticed that.

It would only use activeX in IE, which you shouldn't be using anyway. ;)

I am using IE and have ActiveX set to be asked for and not automatically used, that's how I can tell.

I'm also sometimes using Opera, where - of course - this problem doesn't occure. I use that one for things like youtube, where otherwise I would have to click 'Yes' for the requests for ActiveX all the time.

It's interesting to have IE telling you about ActiveX-components and realizing how MANY of them are used, without ANY needed function: In most cases you can click 'no' to ActiveX and the website works perfectly well. (also goes for the new forum-software) - of course, you come to ask yourself: why do they use it, when they don't need it to proceed the website? Only answer can be: they're running programs to either advertise you or snooping at you.

why do they use it, when they don't need it to proceed the website? Only answer can be: they're running programs to either advertise you or snooping at you.[/COLOR]
Okay, so I looked it up, and in the forum activeX is used for some WYSIWYG posting options.

You could try selecting "Basic Editor" in General Settings in your control panel, that might stop the prompt.

Thanks for looking, mjp!

I don't REALLY mind, I just noticed. (maybe because in former times I especially Have noticed, that the site did Not ask for ActiveX)
It doesn't matter, I will take it as I do with all the other sites.

(only 2 month ago I've added Google-Analytics to the bukshop and then realized that this one also uses ActiveX. I kept it though. So I got the same 'problem'. - I've always tried to avoid such things as ActiveX or cookies or even Browser-based-scripts. Most of the needed funtionality is just as easy to have with Server-based-scripts like PHP. But I realize, that I'm very alone with this view of things. All my friends laugh about my attitude.)

Google analytics uses javascript, so maybe IE needs activeX to interpret that, I don't know (but that would also explain the activeX warning here when you aren't responding to a post). I kind of gave up on IE many years ago.

I wanted to post a pic but where and how do you copy the link location in this new "Manage Attachments" layout?
I got the pic uploaded but I couldn't find out where to copy the link location.

After you drag the selected picture from your computer
you need to click on "select all" and then you click on "Insert Attachment".

I wanted to post a pic but where and how do you copy the link location in this new "Manage Attachments" layout?
I got the pic uploaded but I couldn't find out where to copy the link location.

You've managed the first part, but I'm going to cover the new method anyway.

First, to attach a file you need to use the 'Go Advanced' button when you're posting. The button used to attach files still features the familiar paper clip icon:
attach.png

With the new Manage Attachments window, you can either re-use a previously uploaded attachment by dragging it from the upper window to the lower window:

Image3.png

Or you can upload a new file with the Add Files button:

Image1.png Image2.png

The Attach Inline button will make a link to the attachment appear in the text body of the post.

Image4.png

Here's the bit that I think that you were having trouble with:

To get the link or URL of the image you need to preview the post first. Links to the attachments appear at the end of the preview.

So if you want to make an image appear in the post, preview your post, and right-click the link to the attachment and copy the link location. That's the link you need for the insert image feature.
insertimage.png

Clear as mud?

Hope that covers it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back