There will be tweaking! (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, there's an extra step to making an attachment visible now. But I think they assume most people are using thumbnail images for attachments. That is built in, but we have turned off. So usually, when that feature is on, you just add an attachment and the forum creates a thumbnail image that people can click on if they want to see the full size image. I tried that though and didn't really like it. Especially if someone makes the image visible - then you have a large and small version in the post.

Yeah, I've always wanted to connect buknet with my facebook-account. That's what I was waiting for all the time. And embedding videos was next on my list. Maybe we can also connect to myspace?
Like I've said, I'm not a facebook user. Or Twitter or Myspace, etc. But to leave that integration out just because I don't use it wouldn't really be very smart.
"Screw you facebook, and your 400 million users, too!"
Ha. Anyway, it's just a little graphic. I can make it gray and you won't even notice it. ;)

My tweak (or gripe);
When viewing "NEW POSTS" I would like to have the option "MARK ALL FORUMS READ" at the bottom of the list so I don't have to scroll back up again to mark the forums read.

What can I say? I'm lazy.

I think I got it now. Thanks, hank solo!

bogtyv.jpg

When viewing "NEW POSTS" I would like to have the option "MARK ALL FORUMS READ" at the bottom of the list so I don't have to scroll back up again to mark the forums read.

What can I say? I'm lazy.
Yes you are! ;)

I guess I'm not used to seeing a long list in the new posts, and I never mark forums read (because I'm insane and have to read every post).

I could look at copying those controls to the footer, but there may be conflicts.

The only time I mark the forums as read is when there's one pesky post that won't go away. Doesn't happen often, but from time to time the same post will come up as unread over and over again.

haven't realized by now, that you can (or need to) mark threads as being read.
In the old layout he simply told me, which threads contained new posts. These were on top of the list, followed by a bar and beneath were threads with posts, that weren't new, but I haven't read last time. That was nice.

ps:
oh, I like the facebook-feature, no matter if I will ever use it. I also like the video-embedding etc. It just wouldn't've been on top of my wishlist.

haven't realized by now, that you can (or need to) mark threads as being read.
In the old layout he simply told me, which threads contained new posts. These were on top of the list, followed by a bar and beneath were threads with posts, that weren't new, but I haven't read last time. That was nice.
Thread marking still works the same way it always has.

The only time I mark the forums as read is when there's one pesky post that won't go away. Doesn't happen often, but from time to time the same post will come up as unread over and over again.

And that's it. But it's a nice feature to have for those who've blood in their stool and are on medication to help them forget they've got blood in their stool.

Thread marking still works the same way it always has.

I never HAD to mark threads.

When I hit my bookmark, which took me directly to the 'New Posts'-page, it showed me all threads with TOTALLY new posts on top, and THEN all threads which I haven't read the last time I was there, but didn't have new posts since then.

(e.g., when there was a brand new post in a thread called "What doesn't interest roni", it was shown on top at first. When I visited next time, without having read that thread and its 'new posts' the time before, it didn't occure on top, but after that bar, that said something like "the following threads may contain posts you haven't read yet" or something like that. So I knew, these had unread posts, but I haven't read them before in spite I had the chance to and wouldn't have to bother. Of course AFTER somebody posted new in such a thread again, it appeared on top again.)

Can anyone here confirm that or am I simply nuts?

I can confirm that Roni.
Not that you're nuts, but the other thing.
I just like wiping the slate clean, every now and then.
Especially when I haven't been logged on for a while.
It calms my nerves.
Because deep inside of me there's a maniac with a craving for reading absolutely ALL new posts.
Just like that mad mjp hatter who does exactly that.
Marking all posts read fills me with the feeling that I actually have read all new posts...
And for a while, I can relax...

You're right, Roni! Threads with new posts in them were on top of that bar or separation line, and threads containing old posts you had'nt read yet were below the bar.
I think threads with new posts are still on top, but there's no longer a bar separating them from the old threads containing posts you have'nt read yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
By marking threads I meant the database marking them read. You don't have to do anything, it's automatic. If you open a thread, the database makes an entry that you have read it. If someone else posts in it, that marker goes away and it shows up in your "new posts" list again.

Many forums use cookies to keep track of things like that (this software used to do the same thing), but ever since they introduced the option to let the database keep track, we've used it. It's more accurate and long lasting than cookies.

Two questions:

- How many private messages can the mailbox contain?
- Is the F******* link that necessary (or maybe you didn't have the choice)? I find it disturbing.

(perhaps they have already been asked, I have not read the whole thread, sorry)

- How many private messages can the mailbox contain?
Depends.

- Is the F******* link that necessary?
I don't see an F, asterisk, asterisk, asterisk, asterisk, asterisk, asterisk, asterisk link.

(perhaps they have already been asked, I have not read the whole thread, sorry)
When you bother to read the whole thread I'll bother to answer your questions.

My former mailbox could contain 500 messages.
Registered users: 0
Registered users with posts: 50
Charter members: 200
Ex-supporting members: 300
Invitees (you know who you are): 500
500 or more posts: 500
1000 or more posts: 750 (just increased from 600)
Administrators and moderators: 1000

Inbox full? Look at the very bottom of the PM page:
Download all Private Messages as:
XML | CSV | Text​

Shitbook.
I don't see a "Shitbook" link anywhere.

We don't have a suggestion box, so I'm putting this here, because I felt it was appropriate, ergo the tweaking. /runonsentence.

Anyhow. Chatbox. On the site. Yes. For when Lolita is not drinking, and bored, and not with her man.

I think a chat room was suggested before, and decided against. Folks who like to 'chat' tend to have their instant messenger software I guess. So you might want to look out for other chatterers with the IM logos below their avatars I guess.

im_aim.gif
im_msn.gif
etc....

We appear to support users of ICQ, AOL, MSN Messenger, Yahoo! Messenger and Skype

I still manage two of the old-style forums at work, so it still strikes me as "different" around here, but not as much as it did for the first few days.

But then I'm American, so I am forward looking, adapt well and embrace change.

Because change is always for the better...we hope! ;)

I'm getting used to the new layout too.

As you may have noticed, today's upgrade made a mess of a few things. I'll see what I can do about fixing them. But they are new issues, so, who knows. Everything seems to be working okay though. It's just visual stuff.

And the whole facebook integration thing is working now. So you can "like" threads and all that great crap. So your facebook page/wall/commode will automatically update with the links to the forum. Welcome to the future. Brought to you by Johnson Wax.

And the whole facebook integration thing is working now. So you can "like" threads and all that great crap. So your facebook page/wall/commode will automatically update with the links to the forum. Welcome to the future.

I never understood the "like" application on facebook.
I mean, thumb up- and then?
It's depressing.

I think if you "like" something it shows up somewhere in your facebook world. I can never figure out where anything is on that site though, so I don't really know how it works. Perhaps a facebookian will demonstrate.

I do know what it means. It is what it is, if you click on "like" a thumb up
appears on the relevant thread.
It reminds me of the nowadays society. People say okaay, when they agree
with you but they don't show any feeling. Or they say, cool.
One second later, after they say cool, they re check their cell phone for the twentiest time that day.
Pavlov behaviour is human, but please, show me just a few sincere feelings.

Facebook should have a "dislike" button too, like on Youtube where they have both buttons.

I'm reviving this because I just found out that my advanced box is only working with wysiwyg when I'm starting a new thread and isn't when I'm replying to a thread.

That's a bit strange, isn't it?

I got used to using the simple reply version since the update, but now deus ex machina is confusing again.

:confused:

There is a "Go Advanced" button. But the problem is:

I go advanced and everything seems normal. The advanced box pops open and I can reply. What doesn't work though is the full What You See Is What You Get thing. If I'm using a different font, a different colour, bold, Italics and the rest there is, it's in [ ].

To my surprise it's not in [ ] when I start a new thread, like I did today for Bruno's birthday. The size and the purple colour of saying "happy birthday" could be seen immediately. When I just replied to Black Swan's birthday thread, the "happy birthday" was in [ ] because I chose to write it bigger and in purple.

Now I was late to edit my above post. Everything I type now is black and has these [COLOR="red"...my post.../COLOR] things around. My WYSIWYG worked fine before the update and it's confusing that it doesn't work since the update was installed, with the one exception that it does work only when I start a new thread. No shit. Can anybody help me?

Same when I post a video clip, I only see the html code before I press "Submit Reply". I really love to use computers, but I don't know shit about how they work. I didn't change anything about my Settings. I'm left with a big question mark.

Check Settings -> General Settings

Go all the way to the bottom to Message Editor Interface and make sure Basic Editor - A simple text box is NOT selected.

Enhanced Interface - Full WYSIWYG Editing is selected. That's what I'm trying to explain, it's selected but not functioning.

Enhanced Interface - Full WYSIWYG Editing is selected. That's what I'm trying to explain, it's selected but not functioning.
I don't know what to tell you, man. It sounds like a browser issue or setting. Are you using a weird or old browser?

Well then, you want to look at the javascript settings for your browser, or any firewall or anti-virus settings that have recently changed. Those can prevent some things from executing on your computer.

hey my trade is dominated by idiots , none as bad as me on the computer.But,lately ,visiting this siteTOFTMsome different things have re occurred.dropped log ins ,and facebook messages.for starters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back