Three Broadside Poems by Gerard Malanga (1 Viewer)

bospress.net

www.bospress.net
Hi,
This release will ship on Tuesday 11/12.

Gerard Malanga, Three Broadside Poems. 5pp, Broadsides are 11" x 17" and the portfolio is 12" x 18". Contains three previously unpublished poems and photographs. Limited to an edition of 100 numbered copies signed by Gerard Malanga.

All three poems are by Gerard Malanga, as is one of the photographs. The other two photographs are by Gerardo Malanga (the author's Father) and Marie Menken.

Quarter bound in gray leather and paper over very thick boards.

Title and Colophon pages are printed letterpress on 110# Crane Lettra. The broadsides are printed Letterpress (text) and Giclee (Photographs) on Moab Entrada 300GSM Rag paper.

The cover as well as the insides of the portfolio are Fabriano Tiziano. The paisley area on the left side is printed letterpress.

The price is $150 and can be ordered HERE.

Thanks,
Bill

photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 3.JPG
photo 4.JPG
photo 5.JPG

That paisley is fantastic. One of the things that makes book collecting a truly rewarding adventure is spotting a 19th century or early 20th century book with stunning endpapers or pastedowns, and this portfolio captures the spirit of that era of book-making.

Last edited:
Thanks John!

The paisley was especially tricky to print. Hard to get that much coverage area and keep it clean and crisp. Takes massive amounts of pressure even on a cylinder press. The printing plate was ridiculously expensive for a plate (about $200) and has a life of maybe a few months, so my plan is to make some sheets for endleaves in different colors before the plate curls up and is useless...

Bill

Could you make some wallpaper to cover my living room? :eek:

Since you mentioned different colors, I think a nice dark purple/black, cranberry/black, teal/black, and grey-yellow/black would look great for future use. Since the plate must be very large to produce these 18" boards, you can get two sets of 6"x9" from each print. A bargain at twice the price.

Why do the plates have such a short life span? Is the metal soft and wears quickly after x number of uses? If so, the plates could last longer, I would think. But I remember you commenting on the printing blocks on ebay; why is it that they only last "months" instead of xyz number of uses over 20 years? Oxidation?

Hi,
I'll make a bunch of color combinations and will try these. The plate is about 20" x 13". i wanted a full bleed on the finished sheet...

The plates are photo polymer. I could have bought copper, but that would have cost me about $600. The polymer plate is developed with UV light. This also makes it harder and more brittle. Keeping it out of the sun helps, but after a while, the moisture goes out of it and it curls up. Even if it only curls a little, it makes a plate this involved hard to print. I am keeping this in a sealed bag with a damp paper towel in there to keep the moisture. Still, this will not be printable for more than maybe a year, if I am lucky and careful...

Magnesium plates can last a LONG time if you store them correctly and copper can last even longer.

Bill

The paisley was especially tricky to print. Hard to get that much coverage area and keep it clean and crisp. Takes massive amounts of pressure even on a cylinder press. The printing plate was ridiculously expensive for a plate (about $200) and has a life of maybe a few months, so my plan is to make some sheets for endleaves in different colors before the plate curls up and is useless...
Bill, you printed the paisley? For some reason, I just realized this. That's fantastic!
And I'm getting that PS wants wallpaper. :) Amazing, I just woke up and am stone. Wonderful!

Thanks, Bill for letting us have a peak at the poems.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back