To the whore who took my poems (1 Viewer)

Ok, just curious, ive been reading Bukowski's book Burning in Water Drowning in Flame, and the poem, "To the whore who took my poems" is one i really enjoy. But i would like some clarification. Does bukowski mean what the words say? or is there another meaning then to what i am actually reading?

Also, what do the last few lines mean?

"but as god said,
crossing his legs,
i see where i have made plenty of poets
but not so very much
poetry."

I dont understand these lines.

This isnt an urgent question, it was just something i was wondering.
:):)

God is the amused and comfortably situated "dad", bemused by the inconveniences and failings of his children...shaking his head with a smile, as if to say "aaaaah, so few of you understand". At least that how I read it.

regarding the rest of the poem...he fell victim again, but this time he was robbed of what mattered.

This is Catullus #42. Written by Catullus before 54 BC.

This is, of course, a translation from Latin, but it is done by a knowledgable professor in Latin studies:

Attention, all you little polysyllabic Elevens,
you elves all together from here and there,
that horrid hooker thinks that I am a joke,
she won't give back my little notepad of poems,
if you can imagine that. The nasty nerve of it.
Let's follow her and clamor to get them back.

You ask who she is? She is the one you see
strutting in the streets swaying her hips galore,
laughing aloud with the face of a drooling hound.

Stand all around her and ask the notebooks back.
"You rotten hooker, give back the books of verse,
return, you dirty bitch, the books of verse."

She does nothing! Scum you are, you whore.
whatever is worse or lower, you really are.
But don't think that this is the end of it!
If nothing more let's squeeze a bit of blush
from that brazen dogface smile of hers.
Scream all together in a yet louder voice
"Dirty whore, return the books of verse,
Return, you dirty whore, the books of verse."

We are getting nowhere, she stands as stiff as stone.
You have to change your manner of address,
if you want to win her favor and succeed:

"O Lady chaste and fair, the notebooks if you please."

Sounds a bit like "To The Whore Who Took My Poems".

Bill

I think you're right, Bill! And we know Buk mentioned Catullus in a few poems, so he was no stranger to Catullus. "To The Whore Who Took My Poems", seems inspired by Catullus'poem here...

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't be surprised at all if Buk had read Catullus. And he probably quite enjoyed the epicurianism and mundane celebrated in that verse. Nice connection Bill.
How bout Diogenes? (the dog)

I think you're right, Bill! And we know Buk mentioned Catullus in a few poems, so he was no stranger to Catullus. "To The Whore Who Took My Poems", seems inspired by Catullus'poem here...

I picked up a copy of QUAGGA Volume 1, Number 3, which was the first known appearance of the poem. It appears the editors at the time agreed with you...

I also included a scan of the poem. Word wise, this version is exactly the same as later versions, but there's a break halfway through -- which I actually think works better than just one stanza. Who knows if this was the way Buk originally penned it or if it was an editor’s discretion…

4.jpg

3.jpg

1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back