Tom Robbins to Publish New Book with Ecco (1 Viewer)

mjp

Founding member
Oh sure, now they all want to go with Ecco... ;)

---

Tom Robbins to Publish New Book with Ecco
January 07, 2008
By Kimberly Maul

Tom Robbins, the author of Even Cowgirls Get the Blues, will publish his next book, B is for Beer, with Ecco, an imprint of HarperCollins, the New York Observer reported. This will be Robbins' first book since 2003's Villa Incognito, and his first book since leaving his previous publisher, Bantam Books.

The book, which is being edited by HarperCollins executive editor David Hirshey, is a "hallucinogenic hymn to beer, children and the cosmic mysteries that sustain us all," Hirshey said, according to the Observer. Hirshey worked with Robbins at Esquire magazine from 1985 to 1995, but had lost touch with the author.

"He calls up and tells me that he's left Bantam Books and he has something that he thought I might enjoy reading," Hirshey said, according to the Observer. "And then he says, 'Do you know anybody at Ecco? Two of my greatest heroes are Leonard Cohen and Charles Bukowski and I know that they're both published by Ecco. It would make me really happy to be part of that pantheon.'" Ecco editor-in-chief Daniel Halpern immediately agreed to publish the book.

I'll be damned....I wouldn't have guessed that Buk was a hero to Robbins. I read Jitterbug Perfume years ago, and it seemed full of fancy-pants references and long-winded descriptions. Lots of ornament and self-awareness. But I admit it WAS funny and I did enjoy it.

Then again, maybe Robbins just admired him for his courage and commitment.

no, I got it.
money and privilege didn't write Cohen's poems, novels, songs. influenced or shaped them, yes.
it's fine not to like a writer, but judge him on his work, not the fact that he grew up in a nice neighborhood in Montreal.
and I called you dollar bill because since the moment you got here you've been talking about dropping money all over the place. then you mock someone for having money.

I have mentioned a cash amount only once, when I stated that I dropped a certain amount since June of 2007 on Buk stuff. That's it. I haven't mentioned any prices at all since then and I don't care too.

Many of you go out of your way to discuss actual amounts for various items and whether these amounts are too high or too low. I find this unseemly and trite. Some of you also go out of your way to belittle high bidders on e-Bay and congratulate those who "score" a low price. That's fine by me but I won't engage in such chatter about "prices", preferring to maintain an Olympian aloofness that dovetails quite well with my rather pompous and haughty bearing.

I recently mentioned a certain hotel in London because that happened to be my most recent experience there, but it was too much for some of you. I'll check in at a Motel 6 next time.The idea that a Bukster has to maintain some sort of North Mariposa roominghouse existance is ridiculous, however romantic it may seem.

There is only one criteria about Buk stuff: having an item or not having an item, which is, in my book, a function of will and desire, not crass calculations concerning monetary value. All else is crybaby resentment, speculation and envy.

(Man, this was a good one! Ruffling feathers and all that!)

money is good. spend freely. buy the things you and your loved ones want. be happy. just don't be a hypocrite.

A working class guy builds up a Buk collection and you resent it?

Living well is the best revenge.

Yes, but living well excludes revenge.
winking0001.gif

A working class guy builds up a Buk collection and you resent it?

Living well is the best revenge.

MULLINAX are you reading anything I've written?

don't bother answering, as it will have nothing to do with anything I've said.

anyway, peace. I guess.

I have mentioned a cash amount only once, when I stated that I dropped a certain amount since June of 2007 on Buk stuff. That's it. I haven't mentioned any prices at all since then and I don't care too.
He didn't say you mentioned price, said you often boast about spending money, which is true.

I understand that it's noise and bluster born of insecurity, but it also makes you look like an idiot. I do understand that you take a certain misguided pride in looking like a idiot, and that the more people point it out, the more you feel justified in acting like an idiot, but it's kind of a dead end in a place like this.

In other words, your act is becoming tedious.

MULLINAX are you reading anything I've written? don't bother answering, as it will have nothing to do with anything I've said.

I'm sorry Easterner, but I regret that I do not give your missives the attention that you feel they deserve. Your terms of discourse, "handle", vocabulary and assumptions are anathema to me.

Got any spare change? My UIC cheque is a little late.

TRUTH AND BEAUTY.

He didn't say you mentioned price, said you often boast about spending money, which is true.

I've stayed at the Dorchester. Statement of fact. (nice place: an opinion)

I've stayed at the Sunshine in the Bowery. Statement of fact. (a shithole: an opinion)

I sometimes acquire Buk books on e-Bay. Statement of fact. (convenient: an opinion)

Make of these statements (and opinions) what you will.

SUGAR AND SPICE AND EVERYTHING NICE.

no, I got it.

it's fine not to like a writer, but judge him on his work, not the fact that he grew up in a nice neighborhood in Montreal.

I'll judge him on ANY criteria I wish to.

Class warfare, buddy.

KUMBAYA

I'm sorry Easterner, but I regret that I do not give your missives the attention that you feel they deserve.

This is a blatantly regionalist remark, reflecting a geo-centric attitude.

Your terms of discourse, "handle", vocabulary and assumptions are anathema to me.

Are you suggesting we need CB radios ?

Got any spare change? My UIC cheque is a little late.

For chrissakes, leave The University of Illinois at Chicago out of it...

TRUTH AND BEAUTY.

...and the Grecian urn, too !..

OK - just returning a few firecrackers back up to the balcony before the fuse expires. All in a day's work at Theatre Bukowski.

Honestly Mullinax, I don't believe you are a troll, but Jeebus - you sure as fuck enjoy walking that fine line, don't you ?

:cool:

MULLINAX said:
I've stayed at the Dorchester. Statement of fact. (nice place: an opinion)

I've stayed at the Sunshine in the Bowery. Statement of fact. (a shithole: an opinion)

I sometimes acquire Buk books on e-Bay. Statement of fact. (convenient: an opinion)

Make of these statements (and opinions) what you will.

SUGAR AND SPICE AND EVERYTHING NICE.

The only rule of the forum Don't be an asshole. Statement of fact.

(nice place: an opinion)
(a shithole: an opinion)
(convenient: an opinion)

So. Read any good books lately?

I am so into Libra by Don DeLillo these days, that I see agents everywhere.

But thats TMI

T
M
Information

oh
shit
another
code
why
don't
you

THIS IS THE BEST

This is the best website ever this is the best website ever this is the best website ever this is the best website everthis is the best website ever this is the best website ever this is the best website everthis is the best website ever this is the best website ever this is the best website everthis is the best website ever this is the best website ever this is the best website ever

this is the best website
ever this is the best website
ever

THIS IS

i've tried reading libra about 3 or 4 times and i never get through it. it's just too... too much, or something. i feel like i should know all this stuff that i don't. i did read Mao II a few years ago and really enjoyed it.

libra is very good, but I prefer white noise and underworld. he's been struggling since, but I hear falling man is back on form.

They say Underworld is his masterpiece and I want to check that one out next.

Falling Man got dissed in the New York Times, but from what was described in the review, I thought it looked damned good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back