Tracing Montfort photos (1 Viewer)

I thought I would come straight to the gurus....
I am trying to track down Michael Montfort's photos of Bukowski.
Canongate Books (UK) are publishing two Bukowski books later this year - a collection of his poems and a biography - and we are looking for some great photos of Bukowski for the covers. Obviously we would love to use Montfort's photos but are having trouble tracking them down.
Any help anyone could give me in finding who holds these photos now - or other tips for great photos that you think might work - please do let me know.
Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
Caroline

Caroline,

I've just sent you an email in response to your mail. Daisy Montfort got a copy of that one.
So, things should work out well.

Canongate Books (UK) are publishing [...] a biography ...
Oh, yay. :rolleyes: I hope you got someone with lots of degrees who has read all the other bios to write it. That will be very highly anticipated.

Or better still, someone who knows nothing about Bukowski and fills a book with his impressions, pseudo psychiatric evaluations and postulations!

I, for one, can't wait.

Canongate Books (UK) are publishing two Bukowski books later this year - a collection of his poems and a biography -

Hi, Caroline

Can you tell us who the author of the biography is? - Or anything about it at all?
I'm sure we all are looking forward to reading it!

Last edited by a moderator:
There's nothing left to say, but we'll all buy it anyway. That's why they keep publishing them.

I am really anxious to read Pam's book though. Now that will be full of stuff you haven't seen elsewhere.

Sure. The two books are:
An updated version of Locked in the Arms of Crazy Life by Howard Sounes (the biography) and The Pleasures of the Damned - a collection of Bukowski poems (ed. John Martin of Black Sparrow fame).
Both are due to be published (in the UK) in January 2010.

Thanks, Caroline!
An updated version of Sounes' biography sounds promising, if it's contains a lot of new material, that is.
As for Pleasures, most of us Buk nuts here have already read it, but it's nice there'll be a UK edition too.

I think to recall U. Howie put out an updated version of his book a while ago, but the sources notes were the only thing he updated back then.

New info in Sounes'? Not impossible, but a couple of years ago I told him that I could send him a bunch of photocopies -no need to say why ;) - and his reply was, more or less, "no, thank you very much, the last thing I need now is a pile of photocopies with Bukowski material... I'm a writer and I've moved on to something new." Or something like that. So unless it was some sort of smoke screen or he changed his mind recently, I don't think we'll see lots of new info in that updated version.
But if he has been reading this forum, well, he might have decided to change a few details here and there that were not, er, accurate.

Well maybe Abel will have some new things to write about... but it's hard.

There's not an awful lot of new biographical info -though there is some- but, alas, that's not something I'm working on now.

I think to recall U. Howie put out an updated version of his book a while ago, but the sources notes were the only thing he updated back then.

I have the Canongate 2006 edition. In the last paragraph of that edition's preface Sounes writes: "My interest in Bukowski faded after the book was published in 1998, as happens when you finish a book that has been a central part of your life and other subjects and concerns take its place. Rereading the biography recently was like looking at the work of a stranger. I was amazed by it. Part of the magic of books is that, if they are any good, they have a life of their own beyond that of the author, and that has been the case with [this book]."

I was amazed by it. Part of the magic of books is that, if they are any good, they have a life of their own beyond that of the author, and that has been the case with [this book]."

It sounds like thinly veiled self-praise...

I hope that the Montfort estate does NOT grant him permission. Nothing personal against this publisher, but once he gets his hands on permission, then he can threaten to sue for using HIS photographs....

Apparently granting him permission means that he OWNS the rights..

I would hate to see the Montfort estate have to beg to reprint Michael's pictures in the future...

I believe that Daisy reads this forum, so she should be aware of this...

Bill

don't worry BoS:

There's a correspondence going between Caroline (from Canongate), Daisy and myself and we will do this in a good way.

There's No danger, any rights would go away from Daisy (as it seemed with some other pics, Sounes used before). The dealing-partner is Canongate, not Sounes and it's only for the cover, not content.

Sounds like Howie has some 'splaining to do.

Either that dead interest has come alive, or he recognizes there are errors and omissions and needs to fix them.

Now to talk to her about registering her rights under the ebay VERO program. That way, whenever a t-shirt, magnet, coffee mug, or condom is listed with a Montfort Bukowski pic, it can be quickly removed. She is the only one that can do this. Ebay takes copyright very seriously, but only from VERO folks. She needs to protect MM's work and keep it off of 4th generation crappy t-shirts with captions like "fucker" and "Take It Easy".

Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back