Trade paperback of Down for the Count With Charles Bukowski is now available (1 Viewer)

Rekrab

Usually wrong.
The trade paperback of my book of essays Down for the Count With Charles Bukowski is now available on Amazon. Price is $10. Here's the description from Amazon:

This book collects several of David Barker’s more personal writings about the legendary Los Angeles underground author, Charles Bukowski, whom he witnessed firsthand as a young fan in the 1970s. In the 1980s and 1990s, Barker wrote dozens of pieces about Bukowski. Except for his memoir, Charles Bukowski Spit in My Face, none of these have ever been reprinted. They are now being made available in a series of books from Rumba Train Press, of which this is the first volume. It includes the following:

“Charles Bukowski Spit In My Face.” Barker’s memoir Charles Bukowski Spit In My Face tells in detail his experiences with the famous writer. As a college student, Barker and his fellow student poets worshipped Bukowski, who was making a name for himself in nearby Los Angeles. They attended Bukowski’s readings, hung out with him at bars, and in 1972 attended a big party at the home of Bukowski’s girlfriend, Linda King. This was paradise for an adoring fan until Barker later made the mistake of asking Bukowski to sign a book at a bar. Buk had been drinking heavily and his rage against humanity was boiling to the surface. It didn’t go well for Barker that night. A few years later he made a second mistake and wrote about the event. He describes the fallout from publishing his story in three prefaces to the memoir, included here. The memoir and prefaces were revised for this book.

“Buk at Big L.A. Poetry Blowout: Literary Nightmares and Sorry Nocturnal Hallucinations.” Selected notes on tormented dreams that plagued Barker following the publication of his memoir. Until then Barker had enjoyed a good reputation in the small press poetry scene, being published in some of the best literary magazines. That changed when his “Spit” book came out. He was blacklisted. Editors suddenly wanted nothing to do with him. Overnight he became a nonentity. While he accepted this and moved on, his subconscious mind still wrestled with it, resulting in countless dreams in which he was haunted by a near mythical “Bukowski” figure with whom he struggled to make peace.

“Eat Here and Get Filthy Healthy – A Visit to the Dew Drop Inn.” The Dew Drop Inn in Redondo Beach was a health food restaurant run by Bukowski’s girlfriend, Linda Lee Beighle. In 1978, curious about the place, Barker and his wife visit the cafe, but while there he’s terrified that Bukowski will show up and attack him. They have lunch and enjoy the hippie ambience, which he describes in detail. This is the most detailed description of the Dew Drop Inn that you’ll find anywhere, with rare, never before seen photographs of it.

“Drunken Buddha of De Longpre.” This piece praises the continued excellence of Bukowski’s writing in his later years as he gained wide fame and success. In it Barker puts his youthful adulation of Bukowski into mature perspective.

“Flowers for the Grave of Charles Bukowski: A Journal Written in the Days After Bukowski’s Death.” In this daily log from 1994, Barker reports his immediate thoughts and feelings as news leaked out about the death of his literary hero, Bukowski. With the Web still in its infancy, Barker learns the scant details of Buk’s final days from TV, radio, newspapers, and magazines.

“Singing Again All Hours of the Night” and “Young Mr. Bukowski” are two poems by Barker that were published together as a broadside in 1986. They present idealized images of Bukowski at the beginning and end of his remarkable literary career.

“Bukowski: The King of San Pedro” is a short biography of Charles Bukowski and critical appraisal of his work that was published as a miniature book in 1985. Barker calls it “a mini bio that was also a bit of hero worship.” The publisher, Richard G. Wong, created the book in cooperation with Bukowski who read galley proofs of the text before it was printed. Bukowski was very pleased with the finished book.

DownForTheCount cover FRONT.jpg

@Rekrab

Question for you. I’ve done some personal work with PTSD. Kind of faddish for a while, sure and in my case imperative.

You’re one who’s been with him. Was he a ticking time bomb before he became a name, because he did seem to …look like a flower “at last”

Anyway congrats on the book publishing. I could be a prick and say ‘send me a copy and I’ll review it for free 😉

But you need the money just as much as any of us anymore. And I actually really want to read it.

Thanks for taking such care in writing it. I know what that’s like.

Kudos.

Thanks for the book order. That's a good question: was he a ticking timebomb? Early in the morning, without enough coffee, without thinking it through, my immediate answer would be no, he didn't seem like a timebomb. But always ready to fight? Yes. Almost all the times I saw him, he had been drinking, and when he was drinking, a point would come where he would stir up shit, possibly out of boredom or annoyance, but it wasn't like some huge pent-up anger exploding. It was more like he wanted to see some action, wanted people to drop their facades and be who they really are. He was already becoming a name when I first saw him. I'm not sure how the timing of being a nobody vs a big name plays into his outbursts, if at all.

... It was more like he wanted to see some action, wanted people to drop their facades and be who they really are. He was already becoming a name when I first saw him. I'm not sure how the timing of being a nobody vs a big name plays into his outbursts, if at all.

Outbursts. Interesting choice of words.

It’s not so much that being a nobody is different than being a BIG name, ask anyone who’s made that journey, but what is significant is maturity.

People change over time.

Thanks for the insights 👍

The only thing I would add after mulling it over is that if he thought some guy was hitting on his woman or she was flirting, then he could fly into a rage, and that's when you would see some pent-up anger from his history with unfaithful women.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back