Translations in to Portuguese language (2 Viewers)

I don't understand your comment (if you're implying that I ever said, thought or suggested any such thing, you are mistaken), so I'm not sure what you mean. But the part you quoted points out why it would be unmanageable.

Ok, then, the key factor here is unmanageability. Got it. The main English forum would not be undermined by the non-English forums.

And good luck with the FBI and their underlings :D

We can return to BUK?

We can return to BUK?
Like to ask a question about the poem: The Light of Jesus

I understand this poem as an ironic. Or means a kind of religious conversion.

How to understand the verses:

brothers, he said,
I'm going to show
you something
you're not going
to
believe --

and he pulled this
thing
out.

Is this a perverse mockery ?

then one morning
sick and
debauched
the Light of
Jesus, o yes! the
Light of Jesus
fell upon me and I
was
saved!

( I think yes ( a perverse mockery), because the final verses that speak of someone who plays a religious revival service. Or not?)

can someone help me?

Thanks.
J.T.P.

If I were, to say, invent my own language would it be possible to have my own forum, one that only I could converse with myself, since I would be the only one that would understand it?
You mean you havent already got one of those,S? Mine has been hosting constant bickering for years. Bio-cyber incomprehensible rants and raves between in-fighting whims and longings, all soundtracked by several layers of noise. My problem...no moderator, no common language, no one will step-up. So instead of pulling out my hair, I just make stuff.

We can return to BUK?
Like to ask a question about the poem: The Light of Jesus
Thanks.
J.T.P.

I'd probably say the poem is a satire. Of course it could have actually happened exactly as written.

I prefer to avoid religion and religious people just in case they decide to take out their 'things' and lecture me about sin and being saved.

Did you listen to the audio of the clip that Pessimist linked to? It may help with your understanding.

The Light of Jesus

Did you listen to the audio of the clip that Pessimist linked to? It may help with your understanding.
Thanks, Hank Solo:
after several readings of the poem and analysis of the video (puppet), surely it is a poem ironic, satiric.
Style séc.XIX Portuguese poet, anti-clerical, Guerra Junqueiro.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember reading (I think it was either in Orwell's Down and Out or Black's You Can't Win) about bums having to sit through endless hymns and preaching at the Salvation Army before finally getting the free meal. If you jumped up and down about being saved by the Light of Jesus, maybe you got an extra ration of crackers.

That's certainly a scene in Orwell's Down and Out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back