Typewriter help (1 Viewer)

PhillyDave

“The essential doesn't change.” Beckett
Cleaning out the basement I found my "broken" IBM Selectric II and decided to plug it in on a lark. Much to my surprise it works but wtf it types the - button as soon as I turn the gd thing on and it won't stop. Stuck button? What can I do? Was a great typewriter.

Selectrics are very complicated, as you might imagine. I don't know that I'd even try to fix one myself. Outside of looking for obvious mechanical problems. Like a corncob stuck behind the ball or something. That I could fix.

When I was a kid I was a printer for a big insurance company (are there any small insurance companies?) and there was a pile of Selectrics (a small pile, but still a pile) in one of the storerooms down in the basement, where I worked. They were very expensive typewriters in those days, the late 70s, so I asked my boss, "Why don't they fix these?" "It's less trouble to replace them," he said.

Which is my long-winded way of saying it's probably going to be really hard to fix it yourself. You may end up taking it to some weird old guy in a dark shop somewhere and begging for the voodoo. But if you do that, he's probably going to give you a list of a dozen other things that need to be fixed or serviced...

In other words, why bother?

A person in my life once told me try. Go all the way . I miss interpreted it for many years . Now I restore faith in the burden of a job. Black Lives Matter.

When you major in Peace Studies you dream that you'll be hanging with Jimmy Carter, but in reality you end up like this. The job market is tough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back