U.S. ranks 8th in worldwide Google searches for "Charles Bukowski" (1 Viewer)

That's incredible! Even Turkey ahead of the U.S. Who would have thought Bukowski is popular in Turkey. What's next - Pitcairn Island? o_0o

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a Facebook group for Bukowski that is full of Turks (that's a good thing)
As for the Czech Republic, maybe Germany's computers are pumping through Czech servers or there are a million Bukowski relatives looking up their family tree in Czechoslovakia.

Let's face it, most people in the U.S. don't read anyway. We have Big Screen TVs and Big Macs.

Maybe it's about freedom after a history of oppression and/or poverty? The simple word to relate to human misery/suffering. Or, and more likely, many of the countries in that list are renowned for having vast quantities of misogynistic heavy drinkers. I prefer to think it's the former, but my head says otherwise.

Everybody wants what Americans have - even almost perfect German society - The Hollywood paints very wrong picture of this country. And nobody can't see past that, even in this tough (for working people) economy.

Interestingly, Czechs are pretty slimy bunch, and Croats are Nazi's...hmmm???

I just had a second look and must say: they try to fool us into believing bullshit.

Here's what they 'rate':

What do the numbers on the graph mean?
The numbers on the graph reflect how many searches have been done for a particular term, relative to the total number of searches done on Google over time. They don't represent absolute search volume numbers, because the data is normalized and presented on a scale from 0-100.

So, it's NOT the total number of searches or the number relative to the population, both of which would make at least some sense. They're comparing the specific search to all the other searches done in this country and rank THAT!

I don't get the point in this. You know where that leads? It leads to ERITREA being the #1 in searches for the word "computer"! Who needs such a statistic?

I don't think mjp took the stats serious(ly) from the start.
Well, at least I didn't.

Logical order would be:

USA
UK, Canada, Australia
Germany

none

Some European countries
A few South-American countries.

etc.

Yeah, that Google Insights data is really only used by marketers. If you're selling a product, those numbers can be useful.

In reality, this is who visits the site (the top 30 this month, anyway):

36.46% US Commercial (.com)
26.74% Network (.net)
13.44% Unresolved/Unknown
2.27% Russian Federation
1.52% Germany
1.38% US Educational (.edu)
1.34% Brazil
1.23% Netherlands
1.17% Australia
1.10% Canada
1.01% United States (.us)
0.85% Greece
0.79% Sweden
0.78% Italy
0.72% United Kingdom
0.71% Denmark
0.66% Mexico
0.65% Poland
0.58% Austria
0.55% France
0.47% Argentina
0.46% Non-Profit Organization (.org)
0.42% Norway
0.34% Romania
0.31% Portugal
0.30% Finland
0.27% India
0.25% Japan
0.24% Hungary
0.22% Croatia (Hrvatska)

But of course even those stats are a little skewed, because .com, .net and .org can come from any country.

Maybe the people of the U.S. don't search since we all know right where he is right there on our book shelves in our massive dens. ( bitches )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back