Unknown Bukowski pictures? (2 Viewers)

reminds me of this one:
d5054001l.jpg

I just retrieved some older stuff in the basement including the obituary in infamous German "Bild Zeitung" .
Does anyone know where this lovely picture (by Montfort) is from?

cbisdead.jpg

Last edited:
I just received a photo as a give-away and noticed a lettering with Linda Lee's name on the backside.
Does anyone know if this is her real signature? Any informations about the origin of these kind of pictures?

_bukcarlin.jpg

That looks like it's from a group of small black and white photos she sent to Kevin Ring (Beat Scene). I have one here, it's in a little frame so I can't see the back, but I recall her name being written on it. For photo credit, I assumed. Seems he's wearing the same shirt, but then all his shirts looked like that.

It says that the last photo is taken by Herb Ritts, who also took the famous close up below:

tumblr_mjejvsctjc1qzhoqfo1_1280.jpg

A few years ago I found a postcard in my mailbox. It was the Buk-close up.
A very tiny note was attached, it reads: as promised
I have no idea who sent me the postcard. :confused:

The mystery of who Richard Robinson was is still unsolved. :(
On the other hand we know everything about Joan Gannij... :mad:

The Ritts photo (with the barbecue top and mallet?) was used in the issue of Interview magazine with the Bukowski interview by Sean Penn.

The color pictures (that say bukowski.net on them) are from POOP, and they are by Montfort.

You can see them all here.

When we lived in San Pedro I had a PO box that was coincidentally a few rows below Bukowski's #132. Every time I'd pick up my mail I'd look through the glass of his box and see it jammed with mail. Even though, at the time, he had been dead for more than five years...

poop-checking-the-PO-box-1990-b.jpg

Those dates come from the list/index in the POOP box. I just copied them as they were.

He's sitting in front of the SG-1 typer, so 1982 seems more likely. There's a calendar on the wall, but Montfort's focus wasn't good enough to read it.
;)

maybe this belongs to a special 'Poop'-thread.
I've always wondered, if an originally sealed copy of the box would have a higher market-price (since it's the best and most untouched condition you can get) or would the price be lower (since you can't be sure, it even contains what it should).
Any ideas from the collecting-pros?

I've always wondered, if an originally sealed copy of the box would have a higher market-price (since it's the best and most untouched condition you can get) or would the price be lower (since you can't be sure, it even contains what it should).
How was the box sealed? The copy I had just had a paper band around it, so there's really no way to know if it was untouched. Maybe it was sealed some other way from X-Ray?

Anyway, of course the unopened anything is always going to be more valuable.

As I learned recently when I found out there are people who collect model car kits from the 60s and 70s and prize them in unopened condition. Which means, essentially, they collect boxes that they never open. But at least they have a sense of humor, since many of them call themselves "box rattlers."

Well, to a collector, what you've got there is almost certainly more valuable than the unwrapped version. Though I suspect it would appeal mostly to X-Ray completists rather than Bukowski fans (who I can only assume would want to actually see the pictures and broadside).

I like the concept though. I have some late 1800s labels that are lithographs of ostriches (what they were originally used for, I have no idea), and my plan is to one day seal a chapbook closed by gluing the labels around the open side of the books. So to read the book you'd have to slice through (and destroy) the old ostrich label.

Which would force compulsive collector types to buy two copies.

See, that's marketing, bitches!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back