wave your Ordnung in the air! wave it like you just don't care! go Amish, go Amish! (1 Viewer)

bospress.net

www.bospress.net
We went and saw the fireworks in Dover last night. On the way home, we passed two horse drawn Amish buggies BLASTING rap music.

Fucking classic!

Bill

On the way home, we passed two horse drawn Amish buggies BLASTING rap music.
Fucking classic!
Wow, that is classic, I spent some time travelling around Philadelphia a few years back, and passed by a few Amish buggies, and there was nothing but silence coming from them! Ha, that is absolutely classic!

I have never seen that either and I pass them daily. We have a very large Amish community in Dover. We shop at the same stores. Some of them are my customers, so I visit them in their wood shops. I pass at least three buggies every day around town. I have NEVER heard music of any kind come from them. They do use cell phones, and that is the way that I contact them. Still, buggies blaring rap was very funny.

Bill

they use electricity in their shops, but not in their houses. I know that it is cheating. They also seem to use batteries as that boombox that they were rocking in the buggie had to be powered. I do know that they use gas powered tools in their shops.

It is funny. People pay a premium for Amish made cabinets because of the image that they are all hand made, cut with hand saws, fastened with hand forged nails. They buy their wood and nails at Home Depot, and usually get there by having a non-Amish with a truck drive them.

Also, they only bathe once a week, so in the summer, if you have to meet with them, it is quite an unpleasant smell... they are also not big on tooth brushing....

Bill

They buy their wood and nails at Home Depot, and usually get there by having a non-Amish with a truck drive them

Very funny, except for their costumers who thinks they're buying an all hand made cabinet. I wonder what they would say if you confronted them with their dubious business practices.

Also, they only bathe once a week, so in the summer, if you have to meet with them, it is quite an unpleasant smell... they are also not big on tooth brushing....

Once a week? I wonder what that's based on. Probably some weird religious idea which includes tooth brushing ("Thou shalt not brush you teeth more then once a week - at the most").

Last edited by a moderator:
They have to heat the water over a fire and pour it into a bathtub. No electricity means no hot water. not sure about the teeth, though.

What? They can't use a gas water heater?...and here I am joining in to hijack my own thread. Mods please remove this Amish crap from this building.

I did some research and found out that Stavrogin is the name of an old, old, way old Russian dictator who was very, very, man he was very catholic.

I had grown an Amish beard once, but no one will believe me. Or was it Mormon.

Ordnung. HA! a word that never occurs in Germany.

He's also a character in a novel by Dostoevsky. Here's a characterization of him from Wikipedia:

Stavrogin is the central character of the novel but a highly ambiguous figure and often an observer or secondary participant in the novel's key events compared to the younger Verkhovensky, who drives much of the action and repeatedly attempts to involve Stavrogin in his schemes with limited success. A complex figure, he has many anti-social traits that mark him as a manipulative personality, but he is not ultimately the sociopath he sometimes seems to be in light of the overriding guilt he ultimately succumbs to.

Some handle our friend Stavrogin has chosen! :)

A complex figure, he has many anti-social traits that mark him as a manipulative personality, but he is not ultimately the sociopath he sometimes seems to be in light of the overriding guilt he ultimately succumbs to.

Sounds nice! :D

Anyway: Amish, Mennonites, Mormons and Marionettes please visit my country because we have no speed limit on our highways. In a Mercedes, BMW or Porsche you could fly on the asphalt blasting hip hop from the stereo and compete in confession speed races. Please be careful racing with Muslims, a lot of them here are kind of easy to provoke. We don't want trouble.

Etwas Ordnung muss sein.

Pope goggles.jpg

You are correct, Bukfan. I foresee with my divine digits another thread hijacking. IMO Dostoevsky's greatest creation is that character. When Buk speaks of blood in Dostoevsky's books, he's not speaking of plot but living, breathing characters that no other author has ever come close to creating.

Stavrogin, I'm afraid the only book of Dostoevsky I've read so far is "Notes From The Underground", which I enjoyed. The film, "Crime And Punishment", with Peter Lorre wasn't bad either. It's an old film from 1935, but Peter Lorre really got to me as Roderick Raskolnikov when I watched it on TV years ago.

I've found patience to be comfortably relative. My boss at work talks to me for more than a minute and I drift off in to the ether of angel wings and David's secret chord. The other day I saw a honey bee struggling wing down in a pool of water and lifted it out and set it down on dry pavement. I proceeded to watch it for 20 minutes rake its legs over wing and body to dry itself off so it could take flight again. Honey bees were quite common when I was young but rare to see nowadays. Cell phones are to blame, they say. I'm just trying to say read some of those big novels.

The good thing about the fat novels of Dostoevski is that you need almost no patience to read them through. Well, maybe for "The Idiot".

But "Crime and Punishment" is as thrilling on page 1100, as it is on page 15. It's a miracle.

Maybe it's because the creditors were on his ass the whole time. He really packed something in there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back