Wedding Appropriate Poems/Stories? (1 Viewer)

My fiance and I are getting married soon and we would love to incorporate a reading of something by Bukowski (it's a non-religious ceremony). Bukowski is one of our favorite writers, and reading his poems, stories and books together has been a big part of our relationship.

However, we are having trouble finding a reading that is suitable for a wedding (yes, kids will be there). Does anyone have any suggestions of a semi-romantic or happy Bukowski writing that can be read at our wedding?

Thanks!

Damn! if that isn't a tough task. With all due respect, we'd prefer if you'd contribute a bit to us here at this website before we pour out our hard-earned knowledge to a newcomer who may never come back. Our brain cells are not as young as they used to be, don't you know.

I've got a few ideas, but, other than indicating that you've both read him, you're gonna have to pay for them in respect for Buk first...

...In other words, I didn't come in here just asking for stuff, I came in here willing to learn, and perhaps to contribute a small fraction of the knowledge freely presented here.

So, what have been your Buk experiences? Your favorite books? Favorite stories? Favorite poems? Do I really need to sift through the poems that you've already read, and deemed unacceptable for your wedding, in my precious free time?

What have you weeded out yet?

Oh Yes

there are worse things than
being alone
but it often takes decades
to realize this
and most often
when you do
it's too late
and there's nothing worse
than
too late.

or...

It's Ours

there is always that space there
just before they get to us
that space
that fine relaxer
the breather
while say
flopping on a bed
thinking of nothing
or say
pouring a glass of water from the
spigot
while entranced by
nothing

that
gentle pure
space

it's worth

centuries of
existence

say

just to scratch your neck
while looking out the window at
a bare branch

that space
there
before they get to us
ensures
that
when they do
they won't
get it all

ever.

Now. Do you have your grandparent's
permission for the wedding?

Congratulations.

2406381882_80473c41cf_o.gif

Man write your own-its your freaking wedding, a day when two souls pledge to be one-don't start off by using other people to lean on-even Bukowski. The worst poem you write together is way better than anything Bukowski can offer. You can do it. Now get out here you knuckleheads and start living........ go on. Don't try-write.

Thanks for the suggestions. We have written the entire wedding ceremony ourselves, composed our own ceremony music and written poems for each other for when we exchange vows. The purpose of the reading is to further express ourselves through another's voice.

I am not asking for people to search through books for me, I'll do that myself. I just thought you Bukowski experts may have already had this question, or perhaps knew some suggestions off the top of your head.

I have been reading Bukowski for the past 10 years. A friend at college lent me Love Is A Dog From Hell and I fell in love with Bukowski's writing immediately. I generally like his earlier stuff better than his later stuff, but overall I like it all. My favorite book of poems is Mockingbird Wish Me Luck, followed by Love Is A Dog From Hell and Hot Water Music. My favorite novel is Ham on Rye.

My first gift to my boyfriend, who is now my fiance, was Mockingbird Wish Me Luck. We read most of it together, as well as most of Bukowski's poems and short stories.

Thanks again, and please, I don't want anyone to search through books -- I am just looking for suggestions that you might know off the top of your head.

Yeah, sorry for the pseudo-rant. It seems I broke the only rule of this forum...Anyway, while the title seems a bit odd, "One for Old Snaggletooth" from Love is a Dog... has a great message that seems very good for a wedding.

As a second choice, another "strange" one. But, if you look at the poem as indicating how small we are, that death is far too real, and extend that to realize that we need to love what we have for the short time we have it, then "These Things" from The Days Run Away....

Of course, most people would find these choices strange; then again, most people would consider the reading of Bukowski at a wedding to be, well, er, unconventional at least. But it's a great idea. Now hold hands, you young lovebirds...

Clinical studies have proven beyond a doubt that marriage is the leading cause of divorce. One-to-one correlation, and probably having Bukowski read at the ceremony is just, no pun intended, icing on the cake.

Maybe read something seemingly relevant but really not, like a passage from "The Great Zen Wedding."

The first poem that came to my mind was "Shooting the Moon in the Eye," but like a lot of his work, that one could be misconstrued, particularly at a wedding, hehe.

I'll think about this and get back to you though, because it's a great idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back