Welcome To America, Rubyred ! (1 Viewer)

number6horse

okyoutwopixiesoutyougo
Here's wishing our favorite NZ girl a safe arrival this Thursday July 10 and warm welcome to the United States ! Hope the journey was safe and relatively uncomplicated !
(Do you have to learn how to drive on the "wrong" side of the street, now ?)

Cheers

welcome.jpg

america_main.jpg

Welcome! Now you can complain about the damn foreigners in other countries that refuse to do whatever we say when our "president" demands that they do his bidding......

Ha!

Please let us know that you have arrived safely...
Bill

awwww guys!!!

my eyes got a bit teary when i saw this thread... but i'm in this kind of totally fucked up state right now, where i've had to say goodbye to quite a few people but i haven't cried (except saying goodbye to my housemate and her dog), and i probably should because i feel really highly strung right now... but i just can't seem to let it out properly! so the littlest things are making me feel weepy.

i'm on the cusp of the biggest, weirdest, awesomest, life-changing event i've ever experienced, but the whole thing feels completely surreal.

counting down the hours now: i get on a plane to auckland at about 3pm tomorrow, then on a plane to san francisco at 7.30pm (midnight california time), and then i arrive midday thursday.

about 33.5 hours to go!

i'm on the cusp of the biggest, weirdest, awesomest, life-changing event i've ever experienced, but the whole thing feels completely surreal.
embrace it! hope that the U.S. embraces you. welcome to the nightmare...:cool:

Ruby; It is nice to hear we are getting a clean immigrant who can read and write the language better than the rest of us. A big welcome from the dog and me.
Have a safe and comfortable journey.

Many people in India seem to speak the language better than the average American, probably from the colonization and being taught the Queen's English, but still....

Plus, the Japanese speak it beautifully.

Bill

p.s. Rubyred, now you will need to get used to most people having NO idea that NZ is a country or where is it. NZ may be isolated geographically, but we are isolated in our thinking that the world ends at the US border and that every other country is inferior and that they are all the same.... Sorry to be a downer. Welcome to the US!

Hey now, let's all take a step back here. Deep breath.

The USA rocks, baby! I've never been anywhere nicer. And didn't we just have a thread about how nice the hillbillies in Minnesota could be? Come on.

Well, there are no hills in Minnesota, otherwise...

America is a fucking great place. Best A number 1, mister!

Just don't touch any of the politicians and you'll be fine.

You can drink the water from the tap. Don't let all those little plastic water bottles fool you.

Stay off the side streets and keep your wallet in your front pocket.

Don't ever let anyone named "Manny," "Skipper," "Boss" or "Jordan" hold your passport. Always keep that in a safe place.

That's it. Those are all the rules.

6:00 A.M. California time. She's somewhere over the Pacific...

300px-Pacific_Ocean.png

Everything set for the ticker tape parade ? Who's got the confetti ? The marching band ? The boquet of roses ? Let's see some .jpgs people !

roses.jpg

You've been here for an hour so you must have cleared customs. I hope the strip search wasn't too bad.;) You're either with us or you're with the New Zealand terrorists. Welcome to the land of fruits and nuts-California. It only gets better from here.:):):):):)

she's here, everyone! right now, she's engrossed in the codex seraphinianus. i'll show her my bukowski books after that. and then bottle #'s 3-5.

"she's here, everyone! right now, she's engrossed in the codex seraphinianus. i'll show her my bukowski books after that. and then bottle #'s 3-5."

Ruby - Be careful.

He seems to have made plans....

;>)

In 2006 they "asked" for my fingerprint and they took a photo of me with a webcam.
Welcome to the States!

hi! i'm IN AMERICAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

okay, first things first: your P.O.E is really fucking weird. i got a hard time about a number that was missing from my visa and i had to go to a special little office, where a big black guy asked me a bunch of questions. so anyway, i get through that and i go to claim my bags. i head to federal inspection and - having been warned by the customs official - i expect to get my bags searched. but instead i get waved through; i didn't even have to send my bags through that x-ray thing. i didn't even have to walk through one of those metal detectors.

and there was jordan, waiting for me. quite possibly the happiest day of my life, despite feeling really shitty (and i mean really shitty) from the 12 hour plane ride. even though i've known him for a long time, seen a million photos of him, hung out with him on webcam for probably thousands of hours, in person he was/is even more handsome than i expected, and when we hugged i couldn't get over how great he smelled.

so i've been here three days, and i'm still adjusting to everything (it is truly overwhelming being here) but i'm loving it so far. i met the infamous mr howard at serendipity and less infamous but still pretty famous mr jeff maser. jordan has already bought me a bunch a books in the short time i've been here including this beauty:
023012.jpg

(Order and Chaos Chez Hans Reichel by henry miller and published by loujon press).

i won't go into details about what else i've been doing the last few days, except to say that if anyone was worried that meeting in person would somehow change how we felt towards each other, they were very very wrong... ;)

God, I love it when a plan comes togather.. congradulations kids! p.s. ruby you need to change your signiture..;)

fyi, for book people, i did NOT buy rubyred the blue oasis edition pictured above... but merely the cork edition, one of 1399 copies rather than one of 11.

pffff.... I'da bought her the Blue Oasis edition!

Just messing with you.

Bill

p.s. Did Mr. Howard treat her well, or yell at her?

I guess Justine can answer this too!

Glad you made it safe to the promised land, Ruby. I hope you're enjoying all the fine cuisine (junk food) we enjoy here- no vegemite sandwiches here!

SF is a great city, very glad you guys are having fun!

the loujon press book is stunning - by far the most beautiful book i own (well, that's not really saying much).

mr howard didn't say too much to me, as i avoided getting into too much conversation with him. i think i got lucky by being introduced through jeff maser (we had organised to meet him there), so maybe he was less crotchety thanks to that connection. he certainly is an... "unusual" guy. but the store is just amazing - i've never been somewhere like that before, it was extremely intimidating.

and slimedog: i HATE vegemite. it's marmite that i'll miss (although not enough to have bothered to bring a jar with me). i did bring about 3kg of new zealand lollies with me (about half are for jordan's sweet tooth and the rest are supposed to be sent to some other american friends).

"...i can't wait to come post all my american food eating experiences here! i'm gonna make jordan buy me every conceivable form of american junkfood, and take me to every conceivable american fast food joint."

OK. Time for a thread hi-jacking !

May I suggest these options ?

The Arby's Beef and Cheddar
beefcheddar.teaser.jpg

Nachos from any Mexican bar/restaurant
super_nachos.gif

You probably had these in NZ, but anyway...
french_fries.jpg

and don't forget Chicago-style deep dish pizza (available outside the Windy City too, I'm sure)
edwardos.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back